Dan Best

Default Any tax advantages to living aboard in California?

What a lot of people fail to understand is that nowhere in the US and
esp. not here in CA, taxes are not about fairness, quid-pro-quo or even
paying your fair share. Those in power simple decide that they need X
dollars (doesn't matter why, that's almost immaterial). Now, where can
we get it? Basically, if they can measure it, they will tax it.

Can you imagine how Thomas Jefferson would have responded if the
colonial government had tried to say that unless he paid a hefty tax for
each of his horses and wagons, he couldn't use them? And by the way,
even if you don't plan on using one of the wagons, you MUST file a form
stating so with us and pay us for the privelege of not using it. Do you
think he would have been grateful that they charged him less if he filed
the non-use form than if he wanted to use the wagon occaisionally?

ca-vet wrote:

This is a joke - right?? Tax advantages in CA !!!

The biggest ****-off is getting the tax bill for the real property tax
(not personal) on the MUD at the bottom of the water in your slip. I
kid you not. They ****ing tax the ocean bottom of the slip - it
amounts to about $200 for a 50' slip per year.

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:57:31 -0800, "Steve" wrote:

If your really serious about finding some taxes to save on while living on
your boat, you might try challenging the State of Calif. (and county) on the
personal property tax they charge on all boats.

It seems you might have a good case since the boat is your residence and
shouldn't be consider personal property.

Even if they come after your boat for real estate tax, the taxes would be
much less than what they charge for personal property tax.

However, since it take a couple years for you to get your first tax bill,
you probably shouldn't consider messing with the assessor until you get a
bill..

Only half way serious!

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

LoL

Saw a good one the other day -

Can you imagine anyone saying -

Give me "more government" or give me death

ca-vet wrote:

[...]

Dick

If your really serious about finding some taxes to save on while living
on
your boat, you might try challenging the State of Calif. (and county) on
the
personal property tax they charge on all boats.

Even if they come after your boat for real estate tax, the taxes would be
much less than what they charge for personal property tax.

When we lived in California I think the two taxes were the same 1%. So I don't
know if it will help. The boat tax is local. If you go to the local tax office
and tell them you are going cruising and then go you will not have to pay the
tax. Just keep your boat moving after that. They check marinas about every six
months so you could not stay long and you would have to move out of the area on
a regular interval. If you are working that could be a problem unless you have
a seasonal job. But maybe you should adapt to a new lifestyle.

Dick

LoL

You're a bit off target - both personal and real is 1.2% - and they
"check" marinas only once a year - Jan 1st is the tax lien date. Your
worst mistake is "tell them you are going cruising and then go you
will not have to pay the tax" - this is total crap - you can tell them
5 times and they still send tax notices and lien threats - apparently
you don't live in CA. Maybe whatever your lifestyle has screwed your
brain.

On 27 Feb 2004 22:12:12 GMT, ake (Dick) wrote:

When we lived in California I think the two taxes were the same 1%. So I don't
know if it will help. The boat tax is local. If you go to the local tax office
and tell them you are going cruising and then go you will not have to pay the
tax. Just keep your boat moving after that. They check marinas about every six
months so you could not stay long and you would have to move out of the area on
a regular interval. If you are working that could be a problem unless you have
a seasonal job. But maybe you should adapt to a new lifestyle.

Dick

SpiceScoot

Saw a good one the other day -

Can you imagine anyone saying -

Give me "more government" or give me death

Oh, but I can. Just about anybody with a capital D after their name. For
example, Hillary Clinton D-NY or John Kerry D-MA I am sure you can think of
others. Larry