JAXAshby

Default Joys of sailing

I am saying Force 4 winds are baby winds. I once knew a guy who wouldn't crew
on his brother's J-30 race boat unless the winds were over 30 knots. He said
he would rather drink beer and stuff dollar bills in the dancers' panties.

JAXAshby wrote:

god, I can't fricken believe a Mac 26 owner is arguing with a training

wheels
owner about seaworthiness of boats!!

neither one of them is *ever* going to see Force 4 winds -- let along Force

5
winds, so what are they arguing about anyway?

And your point is? - -

Are you saying that if you don't go out in Force 4 or Force 5 winds you
can't enjoy sailing your boat? Are you saying that I can't enjoy sailing
my boat if I don't sail it in Force 5 winds?

What exactly ARE you saying, JAX?

Jim

Jim Cate

JAXAshby wrote:

Actually, I think that we have pretty well ruminated over

one can not "ruminate over", jim. one can "ruminate", but not "ruminate over".

btw, I think you meant "chew", jim, for the word "ruminate" has the nuance of
casualness, without plan or goal.

I was actually referring to Jeff, not me.

Jim

Jim Cate

Jeff Morris wrote:

Don't let all the negative comments get you down. Just enjoy your boat.

BTW, here's just one more thing to chew on:
I was looking over the 2002 accident report
http://www.uscgboating.org/statistic...stics_2002.pdf
trying to figure out if there's any support for the PFD proposals and noticed a
curious thing. There were 524 drownings that year, but only 7 were in auxiliary
sailboats. In 5 cases, the victims were not wearing a PFD, but in 2 cases they
were. And then it struck me: those two cases were the two children trapped when
the Mac rolled over. In other words, a Mac 26X was involved in 100% of the
drownings while wearing a PFD on an aux sailboat. And 28% of all aux sailboat
drownings were on a Mac.

Enjoy.

As they say, statistics don't lie, but liars.......

Jim

Scott Vernon

"Jim Deafer Cate" asks the age old question....

What exactly ARE you saying, JAX?

JAXAshby

yeah, jim, sure.

I usually don't take part in the Mac bashing since I really don't care but

your
comment needs to be addressed. We passed one today on the way to

Baltimore.
Now bear in mind the wind was blowing 12-15 and the Mac driver was on a

close
reach the same as us. Easy and fast point of sail. Beautiful day. He

wasn't
moving! His sails seemed to be trimmed correctly. He wasn't moving! We
turned around and he dropped his genny and started motoring. I fail to see

how
this boat is "responsive and fun to sail" The day was a '10' and he wasn't
moving!
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"

If he had his sails trimmed properly and his keel adjusted properly, he
would be moving. And I don't know which Mac boat he was sailing.
Obviously, I don't know what the circumstances were in your anecdote.
But I do know that anecdotes don't prove anything, Loco.

Jim

JAXAshby

not likely.

Maybe, but I'm not a four year old. I have been sailing for over 35
years, and I have sailed on a number of boats.

Jim

Jim Cate

Default Bought a Reinel 26'

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

I'm sorry. Did I give you the impression that I wanted you to do
something. I'm just having some fun with you. I'm sure your
Mac is just *perfect* for your abilities and needs.

Like, with 35 years of sailing on Valiants, O'Days, Endeavors, Cals,
Cats, etc., I finally found a boat that has all the capabilities I need
in one package, Johnathan?

Please don't
do something foolish, ahem, like enter it in the race.

I'll think about it first.

Jim

JAXAshby

And how
long had the skipper sailed the boat?

longer than the Cal 20 owner?
JAXAshby

As they say, statistics don't lie, but liars.......

Jim

jim? are you saying the US Coast Guard is lying? wanna explain why you feel
that way. I mean, they are most certainly draft-dodging chicken squats, but
liars as well? explain, jim.

Bought repaired canoe - positioning of seats/carry yoke correct? Guy Touring 2 July 18th 04 07:41 PM
bought a GPS Parallax Cruising 11 May 13th 04 10:03 PM
( OT ) Iraq Coalition Casualtitys ( Coalition of the bought?) Jim General 0 March 21st 04 02:30 AM
OT Hijacking a discussion, was Bought cool new digital charger....$89? Den73740 Electronics 8 January 31st 04 10:08 PM