Horvath

Default Joys of sailing

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 22:25:07 -0500, Jim Cate wrote
this crap:

During a race, I passed one like it was standing still. Wait, I
think it WAS standing still.

And exactly which Mac was that Horvath? - Was it the Mac 26M? And how
long had the skipper sailed the boat?

It was a Mac 26, and the skipper had been sailing for over an hour.

SAIL LOCO

And I don't know which Mac boat he was sailing.

The discussion was about X models wasn't it? That's the model I saw and posted
about. One of those half sailboat, half powerboat thingamajigs. But you knew
that.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"Trains are a winter sport"
Horvath

Default Bought a Reinel 26'

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 22:31:46 -0500, Jim Cate wrote
this crap:
s.

Like, with 35 years of sailing on Valiants, O'Days, Endeavors, Cals,
Cats, etc., I finally found a boat that has all the capabilities I need
in one package, Johnathan?

Too bad you quit looking before you found something decent.

Maxprop

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

JAXAshby wrote:

god, I can't fricken believe a Mac 26 owner is arguing with a training

wheels
owner about seaworthiness of boats!!

neither one of them is *ever* going to see Force 4 winds -- let along

Force 5
winds, so what are they arguing about anyway?

And your point is? - -

Are you saying that if you don't go out in Force 4 or Force 5 winds you
can't enjoy sailing your boat? Are you saying that I can't enjoy sailing
my boat if I don't sail it in Force 5 winds?

What exactly ARE you saying, JAX?

Jim

C'mon folks, give the sailing talk a rest. This is a political newsgroup
after all.

Max

katysails

I have been sailing for over 35
years, and I have sailed on a number of boats.

In that case, maybe we should stop picking on your boat and start picking on
you....after all, it's not the boat's fault you bought it....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

katysails

He said
he would rather drink beer and stuff dollar bills in the dancers' panties.

I didn't know you and Horvath knew each other....
--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

---

Jeff Morris

So how much did you make, jaxie?

"JAXAshby" wrote in message
I am saying Force 4 winds are baby winds. I once knew a guy who wouldn't crew
on his brother's J-30 race boat unless the winds were over 30 knots. He said
he would rather drink beer and stuff dollar bills in the dancers' Speedos.

Jeff Morris

Jax is ****ed at the CG because they refused to fetch him back to shore when the
wind died down. He drifted in LIS for 6 hours because he didn't know how to
raise the sail and was afraid to start the engine.

"felton" wrote in message
On 10 Aug 2004 03:35:46 GMT, (JAXAshby) wrote:

As they say, statistics don't lie, but liars.......

Jim

jim? are you saying the US Coast Guard is lying? wanna explain why you feel
that way. I mean, they are most certainly draft-dodging chicken squats, but
liars as well? explain, jim.

Someone needs to tell Jax that there is no draft anymore.
Furthermore, if anyone around here is likely to find themselves in
need of the Coast Guard, it is probably Jax.

Alan Gomes

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Alan Gomes wrote:

Alright...let's try this one more time....

What percentage of capsizes *of any kind of boat* get reported? I don't
know...it's just a question to consider. But if it's a relatively small
percentage--which is certainly possible--then you cannot conclude that

the
lack of Mac capsize reports proves anything as to its stability. You are

the
one who drew the conclusion that since there are not a significant

number of
capsize reports on the Mac then they must not be capsizing

significantly.
All I'm doing is questioning the logic of that conclusion on the grounds
that reported capsizes may not approximate actual ones.

--AG

snip

(Incidentally, do YOU have
any evidence to support YOUR particular theory?)

Jim

"Jim Cate" wrote in message

Jim,

The nature of my statement does not require evidence. It is a "logic"
statement, not an "evidence" statement.

My point was simply that apart from evidence--which you, as the one making
the argument from silence would need to provide--other explanations are
logically possible--in this case maybe even probable.

Stated another way, a subjunctive asserts nothing indicatively. If I had
made an indicative statement then you could require evidence. It is actually
you who made the assertion, and so it would be you who needs to provide
evidence that the lack of capsize reports proves something.

All that said, you may be right. I'm simply saying that it remains to be
seen.

Cheers,
Alan Gomes

Bought repaired canoe - positioning of seats/carry yoke correct? Guy Touring 2 July 18th 04 07:41 PM
bought a GPS Parallax Cruising 11 May 13th 04 10:03 PM
( OT ) Iraq Coalition Casualtitys ( Coalition of the bought?) Jim General 0 March 21st 04 02:30 AM
OT Hijacking a discussion, was Bought cool new digital charger....$89? Den73740 Electronics 8 January 31st 04 10:08 PM