Bart Senior

Default Impress me with your genius! [15 points]

Solution:

Because you are about to shut off the engine!

The hints we Lazy, smart, sailor...

The reason is simple. If you are lazy and smart you don't
want to trim the sail twice. If you are a sailor, you would not
want to leave the engine on.

So, you trim the sail to luff slightly, as you motor. Then
shut off the engine, the boat slows down, the apparent wind
swings slightly aft, and you find the sail is now trimmed
correctly.

You can see how I knew immeditately this fellow was a
good sailor. He was thinking ahead.

It was a tough one.

Bart Senior wrote

Another question inspired by a Dutch sailor. I caught on
to what he was doing, because I was not occupied with
anything else at the time. No one else on board did.

Impress me with your genius! [15 points]

While motor sailing, close hauled, you trim your jib so that it is
slightly luffing?

Why would you do this?

Jeff Morris

As I predicted, a "clever" but wrong answer. The jib likely can't be trimmed so
there is no sense in trying; the main however, can be trimmed if its on a
traveler - failure to do that is lazy, but not smart.

BTW, the wording of your original post implied that he actively adjusted the
jib, not the he didn't bother to tighten it when it was appropriate.

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

DSK

"FamilySailor" wrote:
If the other boat gives way; you can hold your course and not violate any
law. If there is a collision you would be at fault. If there is no collision
how is it against the law? Unless you actually tell the other boat that you
are under sail?

"A. Diesel Vents" wrote:
If you have the sails up and are running the motor as well, you are
supposed to hoist an inverted triangle dayshape to let everyone know
that you are legally a powerboat for navigation purposes.

I don't know anyone who actually does this.

Well, only big boats (over 10 meters LOA IIRC) ar supposed to do this. Small
boats can motorsail with no signal, although under ColRegs they are considered
motor vessels when doing so.

I have seen a number of yachts, for example, the Naval Academy 44s, motorsailing
with the inverted cone hoisted.

I am looking forward to hearing the answer to this puzzler, Bart!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Michael

Just an aside as I'm in this too late. Engine running in neutral doesn't
count. To be shifted in the pecking order down one slot to power boat you
have to 'engage' the engine. The requirement is a vessel 'under power.'

I'm enjoying reading all this and catching up. My answer was a similar
version of Thom's so I'm struck out already!

M.

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
. net...
Remember the fellow a lazy, smart, sailor!

Bobspirt wrote in message
Also, if you have your sails up you can claim ROW over motorboats, and
they aren't smart enough to see it's luffing

No. When you are motorsailing, you are a motorboat. Having your sails
up is meaningless as far as your position in the pecking order if your
engine is running, even if it is in neutral.

BB

BB, come on, get your helmet on and get in the game. He knew that. He

was
saying you could make powerboaters (who generally clear out for a

sailboat
no
matter what, if they are paying attention) THINK you were sailing.

Michael

With my de Kerchove 2nd ed. sitting close at hand I found the following:

KNOCKABOUT. 1. A sailing yacht of simple sloop rig consisting of jib and
mainsail. The stay sets up on the stemhead. . . . usually keel boats though
some are centerboarders and could be handled very quickly. The original
knockabout rig was intended for small craft but it has developed and is now,
with some modifiations, used on boats of comparatively largesize, 40 to 100
feet. 2. In the USA applies in a general sense to sailing craft without
bowsprits. thus a fishing schooner so rigged is referred to as a knockabout
schooner.

KNOCKABOUT RIG. A style of rig evolved about 1900 with the object of
abolishing the bowsprit in most small craft. The jib is bent on a stay
which sets up on the stemhead. Used chiefly for yachts and fishing
schooners. Became popular in the New England cod fishing fleet 1905-1910.

No points, I looked it up . . .

M.

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message

DSK wrote:

Jeff Morris wrote:

Sorry, Bart. I think your Dutch friend was yanking your chain!

No, what Bart described would work.

But here's a question: I've heard the term "knockabout" as a type of

small boat
but never saw a formal definition. This morning I was reading a 1943

edition of
Chapman's - how do you think Charles defined them back then?

IIRC a "knockabout" was a boat with no bowsprit, a bit earlier than 1943

though. For
example a number of fishing schooners, without bowsprits, were described

as
"knockabouts." But that was 1920s and earlier, by 1943 then it probably

meant
something else. There were some early (1930s) marconi rigged one-designs

(again, no
bowsprit, but by this time that was the norm rather than the exception)

called
knockabouts.

Chappelle isn't too clear on that IIRC. But here's a direct
reference: Bill DUnne, "The McManuses of Boston" Woodenboat 112
June 1993.

"...The term came from the small racing sailboats built for
yachtsmen during the 1890s for "knocking about" Massachussets
Bay in all kinds of weather". The term was appropriated by Tom
McManus for his first knockabout Banks schooner Helen B. Thomas,
in which the bow was extended to where the bowsprit would have
reached, thus doing away with the widowmaker while still
maintaining the balance of the rig. About 1901.

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera

Scott Vernon

wrote in message

Having your sails up is meaningless

thus spoke billy the 'sailor'.

Scott Vernon

To keep the sun out of his eyes.

Scotty

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
. net...
Bob,

If youre IQ is 163, this should be easy for you?

Hint: The man was smart and lazy

Bart Senior wrote

Another question inspired by a Dutch sailor. I caught on
to what he was doing, because I was not occupied with
anything else at the time. No one else on board did.

Impress me with your genius! [15 points]

While motor sailing, close hauled, you trim your jib so that it is
slightly luffing?

Why would you do this?

Bart Senior

I agree I could have posed the question better.

However, if you don't like my questions, a smart guy like
you Jeff, is free to post some better ones!

Bring them on!

Bart Senior wrote