Bart Senior

Default Impress me with your genius! [15 points]

Another question inspired by a Dutch sailor. I caught on
to what he was doing, because I was not occupied with
anything else at the time. No one else on board did.

Impress me with your genius! [15 points]

While motor sailing, close hauled, you trim your jib so that it is
slightly luffing?

Why would you do this?

Jonathan Ganz

Well, it's not particularly good to heel excessively when motor sailing,
as you may have the engine water intake out of the water from time to
time. But the main would contribe to heel also.. more in fact, so I'm
not sure why. Perhaps so it doesn't backwind and slow the boat down?
Excessive luffing damages the sail of course.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
. net...
Another question inspired by a Dutch sailor. I caught on
to what he was doing, because I was not occupied with
anything else at the time. No one else on board did.

Impress me with your genius! [15 points]

While motor sailing, close hauled, you trim your jib so that it is
slightly luffing?

Why would you do this?

Jeff Morris

You can point higher when motor sailing. The main can easily be oversheeted,
but usually the jib can't be. The net VMG will be better even though the sails
aren't as efficient. Also, the ride will be easier than powering straight into
a chop.

"Bart Senior" wrote in message
. net...
Another question inspired by a Dutch sailor. I caught on
to what he was doing, because I was not occupied with
anything else at the time. No one else on board did.

Impress me with your genius! [15 points]

While motor sailing, close hauled, you trim your jib so that it is
slightly luffing?

Why would you do this?

DSK

Bart Senior wrote:

Another question inspired by a Dutch sailor. I caught on
to what he was doing, because I was not occupied with
anything else at the time. No one else on board did.

Impress me with your genius! [15 points]

While motor sailing, close hauled, you trim your jib so that it is
slightly luffing?

Why would you do this?

Not sure, maybe to maximize VMG... in lulls, the motor keeps the boat
driving & pointing high, in gusts the apparent wind shifts aft & the
sail drives the boat more. It may also make it easier to balance the
helm with the sails.

Also, if you have your sails up you can claim ROW over motorboats, and
they aren't smart enough to see it's luffing

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Familysailor

Why would you do this?

It looks impressive to the PowerBoaters......

Bart Senior

Bob,

If youre IQ is 163, this should be easy for you?

Hint: The man was smart and lazy

Bart Senior wrote