FamilySailor

Default Impress me with your genius! [15 points]

It would still be unlawful, regardless of what you stupid
stinkpotters/lubbers think.

If the other boat gives way; you can hold your course and not violate any
law. If there is a collision you would be at fault. If there is no collision
how is it against the law? Unless you actually tell the other boat that you
are under sail?

Bobspirt

If there is a collision you would be at fault.

Sounds like it's unlawful, then, doesn't it?

The sailboat would not automatically be at fault and it would not be unlawful
to allow a powerboater to form a mistaken impression. BB, you need to study up
a bit.
Bart Senior

Nice try Thom. The answer is much simpler than that.

No one will get it. I should post the answer. Again
the hints are this is a lazy and smart skipper.

Thom Stewart wrote

Ah yes Bart,

A condition I often experience. Using your engine to get higher on the
wind than your sails will take you.

Sailors sometimes motor sail, as I do, to get running time on the
engine. When you are doing this, why not get to windward as much a
possible while using the engine. When you shutdown the engine your
up-wind work is behind you and the sailing is free, easy and quite.

Luffing slightly reduces resistance to a higher heading. If working
directly into the wind and tacking, you work higher using the motor to
get better wind angle on the next tack

Ole Thom

Bart Senior

Remember the fellow a lazy, smart, sailor!

Bobspirt wrote in message
Also, if you have your sails up you can claim ROW over motorboats, and
they aren't smart enough to see it's luffing

No. When you are motorsailing, you are a motorboat. Having your sails
up is meaningless as far as your position in the pecking order if your
engine is running, even if it is in neutral.

BB

BB, come on, get your helmet on and get in the game. He knew that. He

was
saying you could make powerboaters (who generally clear out for a sailboat

no
matter what, if they are paying attention) THINK you were sailing.

Bobspirt

Remember the fellow a lazy, smart, sailor!

He kills the engine in a crossing situation.

FamilySailor

He kills the engine in a crossing situation.

Hummm..... another good reason for a remote kill switch..

John

A. Diesel Vents

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 12:00:59 -0500, "FamilySailor" wrote:

It would still be unlawful, regardless of what you stupid
stinkpotters/lubbers think.

If the other boat gives way; you can hold your course and not violate any
law. If there is a collision you would be at fault. If there is no collision
how is it against the law? Unless you actually tell the other boat that you
are under sail?

If you have the sails up and are running the motor as well, you are
supposed to hoist an inverted triangle dayshape to let everyone know
that you are legally a powerboat for navigation purposes.

I don't know anyone who actually does this.
Jonathan Ganz

I've never seen anyone do it, even when next to a CG vessel.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"A. Diesel Vents" wrote in message
On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 12:00:59 -0500, "FamilySailor" wrote:

It would still be unlawful, regardless of what you stupid
stinkpotters/lubbers think.

If the other boat gives way; you can hold your course and not violate any
law. If there is a collision you would be at fault. If there is no

collision
how is it against the law? Unless you actually tell the other boat that

you
are under sail?

If you have the sails up and are running the motor as well, you are
supposed to hoist an inverted triangle dayshape to let everyone know
that you are legally a powerboat for navigation purposes.

I don't know anyone who actually does this.

FamilySailor

Humm..... I agree with everything you said, except the point about breaking
the law, if the other boat alters course before you do and he makes HIS
intentions clear, if you maintain your course you did NOT break any law.

Are you saying we should hail or signal him and inform him that he is
breaking the law by giving way, because we have our motor running and he
better get back on course so we can give way. I give way many time I have
the right of way, because I value my sailboat and crew.

John

You are completely wrong. If you are running your engine you must
conduct yourself as a motor vessel. You must show the proper lights or
day shapes, and if there are any questions as to who is the stand on
vessel and who is the give way vessel, you must communicate by what
ever means available, including, but not limited to, VHF, Horns, Loud
Hailer, etc. Even using "body english" by turning your vessel sharply
to indicate that you are changing course and giving way can be
helpful. You are always responsible for your own operation, regardless
of what the "other guy" thinks. If his actions make it appear that he
does not understand that you are motoring, it is your duty to inform
him.

I'd suggest that you study up, but operating a vessel legally and
safely also requires critical thinking abilities that you simply don't
have.

BB

Jeff Morris

He may have some clever explanation, but my answer (and other who have agreed)
is correct. If he eased the jib to make it luff, he's reducing VMG for no gain;
if its luffing because he's pinching, then he's maximizing VMG and getting an
easier ride.

BTW, we often don't fly the jib when motorsailing upwind because the major
benefit is provided by the main. Having the jib up just reduces visibility.

. net...