Seahag

Default All 11 myths

"Flying Tadpole" wrote:

Frank wrote:

#1 - CENTERBOARDS COMPROMISE SEAWORTHINESS
#2 - THE LOWER THE FREEBOARD THE FASTER THE SAILBOAT
#3 - A FAST SAILBOAT CAN NOT ALSO MOTOR FAST
#4 - OCEAN CRUISING SAILBOATS MUST BE LARGER THAN 60 FEET
#5 - KEELED SAILBOATS ARE THE MOST SEAWORTHY OCEAN CRUISERS
#6 WATER BALLAST IS INFERIOR TO OTHER BALLAST
#7 A KEELED SAIL BOAT WILL POINT INTO THE WIND BETTER THAN A CENTER

BOARDER
#8 A TALL RIDGED MAST IS BETTER THAN A SHORT BENDING MAST
#9 MAC26X BOAT OWNERS ARE NOT INTERESTED IN RACING
#10 MAC26X BOATS ARE SPARTAN
#11 MAC26X BOATS ARE NOT FOR OCEAN PASSAGES

All these myths are scotched here

http://www.eskimo.com/~mighetto/murrelet.htm

Come on alt.sailing.asa'ers, let's discuss!

You mean, let's ALL be Frank?
--
Flying Tadpole

No, I'm Frank.

Seahag

Flying Tadpole

Seahag wrote:

#1 - CENTERBOARDS COMPROMISE SEAWORTHINESS
#2 - THE LOWER THE FREEBOARD THE FASTER THE SAILBOAT
#3 - A FAST SAILBOAT CAN NOT ALSO MOTOR FAST
#4 - OCEAN CRUISING SAILBOATS MUST BE LARGER THAN 60 FEET
#5 - KEELED SAILBOATS ARE THE MOST SEAWORTHY OCEAN CRUISERS
#6 WATER BALLAST IS INFERIOR TO OTHER BALLAST
#7 A KEELED SAIL BOAT WILL POINT INTO THE WIND BETTER THAN A CENTER

BOARDER
#8 A TALL RIDGED MAST IS BETTER THAN A SHORT BENDING MAST
#9 MAC26X BOAT OWNERS ARE NOT INTERESTED IN RACING
#10 MAC26X BOATS ARE SPARTAN
#11 MAC26X BOATS ARE NOT FOR OCEAN PASSAGES

All these myths are scotched here

http://www.eskimo.com/~mighetto/murrelet.htm

Come on alt.sailing.asa'ers, let's discuss!

You mean, let's ALL be Frank?
--
Flying Tadpole

No, I'm Frank.

Seahag

"Well Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn...."
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Flying Tadpole

OzOne wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:05:18 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
scribbled thusly:

I'm sorry... I was thinking catamaran/trimaran....

On the multis when it gets really tough, the centreboard/boards are
pulled up to save them, allow the boat to be pushed sideways and to
stop it tripping over the boards.

And indeed, I was always told, by my designer among others, that
that is also what should be done in centreboarders in those
conditions.
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Scott Vernon

There is a stinkpotter named 'Frankly my dear'' in the Balt. area. Stupid
name, eh?

Scotty

"Flying Tadpole" wrote in message

Seahag wrote:

Nav

Flying Tadpole wrote:

OzOne wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:05:18 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
scribbled thusly:

I'm sorry... I was thinking catamaran/trimaran....

On the multis when it gets really tough, the centreboard/boards are
pulled up to save them, allow the boat to be pushed sideways and to
stop it tripping over the boards.

And indeed, I was always told, by my designer among others, that
that is also what should be done in centreboarders in those
conditions.

God talks to you?

Cheers

Jonathan Ganz

Really? That sounds like it's a recipe for disaster.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

OzOne wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:05:18 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
scribbled thusly:

I'm sorry... I was thinking catamaran/trimaran....

On the multis when it gets really tough, the centreboard/boards are
pulled up to save them, allow the boat to be pushed sideways and to
stop it tripping over the boards.

And indeed, I was always told, by my designer among others, that
that is also what should be done in centreboarders in those
conditions.
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera

Flying Tadpole

OzOne wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:05:18 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
scribbled thusly:

I'm sorry... I was thinking catamaran/trimaran....

On the multis when it gets really tough, the centreboard/boards are
pulled up to save them, allow the boat to be pushed sideways and to
stop it tripping over the boards.

And indeed, I was always told, by my designer among others, that
that is also what should be done in centreboarders in those
conditions.

like a Mac?

including but not limited to. Mind you, if you're reliant on
slithering away from such waves the conditions probably mean
either (a) you should have fled for shelter long ago, or (b) you
should be hove to anyway...

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera
Flying Tadpole

Nav wrote:

Flying Tadpole wrote:

OzOne wrote:

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:05:18 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
scribbled thusly:

I'm sorry... I was thinking catamaran/trimaran....

On the multis when it gets really tough, the centreboard/boards are
pulled up to save them, allow the boat to be pushed sideways and to
stop it tripping over the boards.

And indeed, I was always told, by my designer among others, that
that is also what should be done in centreboarders in those
conditions.

God talks to you?

Yes, but not recently.
--
Flying Tadpole

Republican myths basskisser General 0 June 30th 04 05:37 PM
The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM
Gulf Stream Myths and Worse anchorlt Cruising 30 March 24th 04 03:32 AM