Frank

Default All 11 myths

#1 - CENTERBOARDS COMPROMISE SEAWORTHINESS
#2 - THE LOWER THE FREEBOARD THE FASTER THE SAILBOAT
#3 - A FAST SAILBOAT CAN NOT ALSO MOTOR FAST
#4 - OCEAN CRUISING SAILBOATS MUST BE LARGER THAN 60 FEET
#5 - KEELED SAILBOATS ARE THE MOST SEAWORTHY OCEAN CRUISERS
#6 WATER BALLAST IS INFERIOR TO OTHER BALLAST
#7 A KEELED SAIL BOAT WILL POINT INTO THE WIND BETTER THAN A CENTER BOARDER
#8 A TALL RIDGED MAST IS BETTER THAN A SHORT BENDING MAST
#9 MAC26X BOAT OWNERS ARE NOT INTERESTED IN RACING
#10 MAC26X BOATS ARE SPARTAN
#11 MAC26X BOATS ARE NOT FOR OCEAN PASSAGES

All these myths are scotched here

http://www.eskimo.com/~mighetto/murrelet.htm

Come on alt.sailing.asa'ers, let's discuss!
Flying Tadpole

#1 - CENTERBOARDS COMPROMISE SEAWORTHINESS
#2 - THE LOWER THE FREEBOARD THE FASTER THE SAILBOAT
#3 - A FAST SAILBOAT CAN NOT ALSO MOTOR FAST
#4 - OCEAN CRUISING SAILBOATS MUST BE LARGER THAN 60 FEET
#5 - KEELED SAILBOATS ARE THE MOST SEAWORTHY OCEAN CRUISERS
#6 WATER BALLAST IS INFERIOR TO OTHER BALLAST
#7 A KEELED SAIL BOAT WILL POINT INTO THE WIND BETTER THAN A CENTER BOARDER
#8 A TALL RIDGED MAST IS BETTER THAN A SHORT BENDING MAST
#9 MAC26X BOAT OWNERS ARE NOT INTERESTED IN RACING
#10 MAC26X BOATS ARE SPARTAN
#11 MAC26X BOATS ARE NOT FOR OCEAN PASSAGES

All these myths are scotched here

http://www.eskimo.com/~mighetto/murrelet.htm

Come on alt.sailing.asa'ers, let's discuss!

You mean, let's ALL be Frank?
--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Break Away, Sail Away and putz away
now at http://music.download.com/internetopera
SAIL LOCO

#7 A KEELED SAIL BOAT WILL POINT INTO THE WIND BETTER THAN A CENTER
BOARDER

Well I guess the next contingent of AC boats will have centerboards.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
SAIL LOCO

,#8 A TALL RIDGED MAST IS BETTER THAN A SHORT BENDING MAST.

Doesn't this go counter to normal engineering. Usually tall masts are bendy
and short masts are stiff.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
SAIL LOCO

#9 MAC26X BOAT OWNERS ARE NOT INTERESTED IN RACING

Yea, there's one registered on the entire Chesapeake. I think it belongs to a
dealer south of Annapolis. Funny thing is he usually races his older regular
26.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

SAIL LOCO

#2 - THE LOWER THE FREEBOARD THE FASTER THE SAILBOAT

I guess the next group of Volvo boats will look like Mac 26Xs.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
SAIL LOCO

#4 - OCEAN CRUISING SAILBOATS MUST BE LARGER THAN 60 FEET

Since when is this a myth? The last article I read about cruising oceans
stated that the most popular boat size was 34 feet.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
Jonathan Ganz

And one truth... Macs are **** boats.

Get lost asshole.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

om...
#1 - CENTERBOARDS COMPROMISE SEAWORTHINESS
#2 - THE LOWER THE FREEBOARD THE FASTER THE SAILBOAT
#3 - A FAST SAILBOAT CAN NOT ALSO MOTOR FAST
#4 - OCEAN CRUISING SAILBOATS MUST BE LARGER THAN 60 FEET
#5 - KEELED SAILBOATS ARE THE MOST SEAWORTHY OCEAN CRUISERS
#6 WATER BALLAST IS INFERIOR TO OTHER BALLAST
#7 A KEELED SAIL BOAT WILL POINT INTO THE WIND BETTER THAN A CENTER

BOARDER
#8 A TALL RIDGED MAST IS BETTER THAN A SHORT BENDING MAST
#9 MAC26X BOAT OWNERS ARE NOT INTERESTED IN RACING
#10 MAC26X BOATS ARE SPARTAN
#11 MAC26X BOATS ARE NOT FOR OCEAN PASSAGES

All these myths are scotched here

http://www.eskimo.com/~mighetto/murrelet.htm

Come on alt.sailing.asa'ers, let's discuss!

Jonathan Ganz

I don't agree with this one....

I think it's only true if one is myopic about what makes a craft seaworthy.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

OzOne wrote in message ...
On 28 Jun 2004 06:55:08 -0700, (Frank)
scribbled thusly:

#5 - KEELED SAILBOATS ARE THE MOST SEAWORTHY OCEAN CRUISERS

Fact. Proven over many years of cruising.

Jonathan Ganz

I'm sorry... I was thinking catamaran/trimaran....

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

OzOne wrote in message ...
On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:46:37 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
scribbled thusly:

#5 - KEELED SAILBOATS ARE THE MOST SEAWORTHY OCEAN CRUISERS
Fact. Proven over many years of cruising.

Hmmm, Try weathering an Atlantic gale or even one on the east coast of
Oz in a centreboard yacht.
Being driven sideways down a wave is not conducive to survival of most
centreboards.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Republican myths basskisser General 0 June 30th 04 05:37 PM
The future of yacht design - 10 myths scotched Frank ASA 0 June 28th 04 02:42 PM
Gulf Stream Myths and Worse anchorlt Cruising 30 March 24th 04 03:32 AM