John Cairns

Default Atlantic crossing-very brief account

20 days to Horta, 7 days to Vilamoura, wouldn't recommend keeping a boat at
Vilamoura unless you like that very touristy sort of atmosphere. No weather
to speak of, not much wind either, only 2 200 mile days, both in the Gulf,
though a reasonable average of just a tick under 150 for the
Lauderdale-Horta leg, very low average for the Horta-Vilamoura leg. Will
post plenty of pics and as many details as I can muster when I get some
time.
John Cairns

katysails

Welcome home....and glad everything went safely and soundly....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Capt. Mooron

Malo!! I'm waiting for the pics John..... my friend did a trip across in
June 2000 from Halifax - Horta - Portugal [don't recall the port]..... in a
Bayfield 29. They encountered lots of wind and went through a storm with 56
knots just a day before making landfall in the Azores. How was it playing
the eddies in the stream? Did you encounter the dreaded "Cornholius Effect"
??? ;-)

CM

"John Cairns" wrote in message
| 20 days to Horta, 7 days to Vilamoura, wouldn't recommend keeping a boat
at
| Vilamoura unless you like that very touristy sort of atmosphere. No
weather
| to speak of, not much wind either, only 2 200 mile days, both in the Gulf,
| though a reasonable average of just a tick under 150 for the
| Lauderdale-Horta leg, very low average for the Horta-Vilamoura leg. Will
| post plenty of pics and as many details as I can muster when I get some
| time.
| John Cairns

John Cairns

Yeah, we got plugged badly on at least several occasions, amazing how
incredibly annoying it can be when you're driving and it happens. I couldn't
imagine this passage on a smaller boat, but the distance from Halifax is
considerably less than that from Lauderdale. Funny, the skipper mentioned
that some folks consider a May crossing to be slightly early, but it's all a
crap shoot, I don't think we had more than 25 kts on more than several
occasions and I'd guess that the average was probably 10-15kts. BTW, we
carried about 115 gallons of diesel and used just about all of it to get to
Horta, the winds to Portugal were so poor that we ended up using about 100
just to make that last 900nm !
http://community.webshots.com/album/151748323ulmDJf

John Cairns

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Malo!! I'm waiting for the pics John..... my friend did a trip across in
June 2000 from Halifax - Horta - Portugal [don't recall the port]..... in

Bayfield 29. They encountered lots of wind and went through a storm with

56
knots just a day before making landfall in the Azores. How was it playing
the eddies in the stream? Did you encounter the dreaded "Cornholius

Effect"
??? ;-)

CM

Capt. Mooron

Excellent shots..... you should see the photos from my friend's trip....
they show an entirely different mood of the North Atlantic.

CM
"John Cairns" wrote in message
| Yeah, we got plugged badly on at least several occasions, amazing how
| incredibly annoying it can be when you're driving and it happens. I
couldn't
| imagine this passage on a smaller boat, but the distance from Halifax is
| considerably less than that from Lauderdale. Funny, the skipper mentioned
| that some folks consider a May crossing to be slightly early, but it's all
| crap shoot, I don't think we had more than 25 kts on more than several
| occasions and I'd guess that the average was probably 10-15kts. BTW, we
| carried about 115 gallons of diesel and used just about all of it to get
| Horta, the winds to Portugal were so poor that we ended up using about
100
| just to make that last 900nm !
| http://community.webshots.com/album/151748323ulmDJf
|
| John Cairns
|
| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
| Malo!! I'm waiting for the pics John..... my friend did a trip across
in
| June 2000 from Halifax - Horta - Portugal [don't recall the port].....
in
| Bayfield 29. They encountered lots of wind and went through a storm
with
| 56
| knots just a day before making landfall in the Azores. How was it
playing
| the eddies in the stream? Did you encounter the dreaded "Cornholius
| Effect"
| ??? ;-)
|
| CM

Horvath

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 20:22:24 -0400, "John Cairns"
wrote this crap:

20 days to Horta, 7 days to Vilamoura, wouldn't recommend keeping a boat at
Vilamoura unless you like that very touristy sort of atmosphere. No weather
to speak of, not much wind either, only 2 200 mile days, both in the Gulf,
though a reasonable average of just a tick under 150 for the
Lauderdale-Horta leg, very low average for the Horta-Vilamoura leg. Will
post plenty of pics and as many details as I can muster when I get some
time.
John Cairns

You missed the Mills Race. Jazzy did very well.

John Cairns

wrote this crap:

20 days to Horta, 7 days to Vilamoura, wouldn't recommend keeping a boat

at
Vilamoura unless you like that very touristy sort of atmosphere. No

weather
to speak of, not much wind either, only 2 200 mile days, both in the

Gulf,
though a reasonable average of just a tick under 150 for the
Lauderdale-Horta leg, very low average for the Horta-Vilamoura leg. Will
post plenty of pics and as many details as I can muster when I get some
time.
John Cairns

You missed the Mills Race. Jazzy did very well.

Yeah, it was unfortunate, but couldn't plan the arrival. Didn't get into
Vilamoura til early on the 8th, even if I had tried to fly in early wouldn't
have gotten back til the 10th, one of the disadvantages of having family,
they wouldn't have been very appreciative if I'd left the following day to
do the Mills. I was at NCYC today and they didn't have the results posted.
Who won overall?
John Cairns

Horvath

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 20:21:20 -0400, "John Cairns"
wrote this crap:

Yeah, it was unfortunate, but couldn't plan the arrival. Didn't get into
Vilamoura til early on the 8th, even if I had tried to fly in early wouldn't
have gotten back til the 10th, one of the disadvantages of having family,
they wouldn't have been very appreciative if I'd left the following day to
do the Mills. I was at NCYC today and they didn't have the results posted.
Who won overall?

Pendragon

The results should be posted at TYCs website.