John Cairns

Default Atlantic crossing-very brief account

Yeah, we got plugged badly on at least several occasions, amazing how
incredibly annoying it can be when you're driving and it happens. I couldn't
imagine this passage on a smaller boat, but the distance from Halifax is
considerably less than that from Lauderdale. Funny, the skipper mentioned
that some folks consider a May crossing to be slightly early, but it's all a
crap shoot, I don't think we had more than 25 kts on more than several
occasions and I'd guess that the average was probably 10-15kts. BTW, we
carried about 115 gallons of diesel and used just about all of it to get to
Horta, the winds to Portugal were so poor that we ended up using about 100
just to make that last 900nm !
http://community.webshots.com/album/151748323ulmDJf

John Cairns

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
Malo!! I'm waiting for the pics John..... my friend did a trip across in
June 2000 from Halifax - Horta - Portugal [don't recall the port]..... in

Bayfield 29. They encountered lots of wind and went through a storm with

56
knots just a day before making landfall in the Azores. How was it playing
the eddies in the stream? Did you encounter the dreaded "Cornholius

Effect"
??? ;-)

CM