SAIL LOCO

Default How many anchors ?

Yes, you would only drag at about 3 knots in Chesapeake t-storm. It would
probably be over before you washed up in Crisfield.

LOL..... Funny but maybe you should read the test reports that used tug boats
as a test vessel.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
Jonathan Ganz

The work great in mud.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Wally" wrote in message
Joe wrote:

Breaking out of the mud when it bites it a bit hard, mud always
covers it, all we have in the bay here is mud, mud and oyster reefs,
and mud & grass. Lots of mud, In a hard blow in deep mud, it's easy to
put skid marks across the bottom.

I thought Danforths were supposed to be good in mud - aren't they supposed
to dig in deeper if they start to drag?

Usually Ill pull it up to the water line than was it a mile or so
before hauling it into the hawse pipe, just to help get rid of some of
the freakin mud.

Did that to clean a small bruce that was used to hold a race mark (we were
on a RIB). Do you drag it off the stern?

--
Wally
www.artbywally.com

Jeff Morris

I've read a lot of the test reports. As you might guess, this is a topic I've
followed a bit. The general conclusion from most of the tests is that if an
anchor is well set in a good bottom, it has a lot of holding power. What the
test don't tell is how an anchor responds to a foul bottom, or how much it drags
before setting, or how much care it needs to set, or how well it resets after
its upset.

However, it you want to look test results, I haven't found any for the FX-11
because, I suspect, its considered too small for cruisers. However, the
USSailing tests used a FX37, and larger Fortresses (It was funded by Nav-X, the
manufacturer) were tested. The Fortresses did rather well in sand compared to
the others, by still, frequently dragged before achieving the holding power
listed on the web site. They did all easily surpass the listed "working load."
In the "mud" version of the test, the Fortress also did well, but did not even
come close to the web site claims. Note that these test were conducted by
Nav-X, with special care taken to make sure they were measuring the actual
holding power, as opposed to ease of setting, etc.
http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Stud...nchor_test.htm
http://www.ussailing.org/safety/Stud...nchor_test.htm

In another test, the Fortress failed to set at all:
http://www.creativemarine.com/newpro.../absreport.htm

But the issue is not how well the larger Fortresses performs in straight line
tests. They do damn well most of the time, especially for its weight. That's
why I've carried one for a dozen years and recommend them. The issue is the
holding power of the 7 pound version. Frankly, its not that high, even
according to their own data, which seems to be optimistic. I have no doubt it
satisfies your needs, but this is not a good choice for someone that wants to
get a good night's sleep on the hook.

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
Yes, you would only drag at about 3 knots in Chesapeake t-storm. It would
probably be over before you washed up in Crisfield.

LOL..... Funny but maybe you should read the test reports that used tug boats
as a test vessel.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

Scott Vernon

"Jeff Morris" wrote

I will grant you one thing - the Chesapeake is about as benign and

environment
as you can get.

unless a T-storm kicks up, or a hurricane.

The soft mud is ubiquitous, and there is no such thing as a
rocky lee shore.

There are a few.

Scotty

DSK

Wally wrote:
We have a Bruce on the Sonata. Only used it once, for a lunch stop, and it
worked fine in mud. When I hauled it up, I found that only one prong had
actually dug in. It was fairly thick mud - it wouldn't clear by swishing the
anchor in the water.

My experience with the Bruce anchor is that it tends to dig in only
proportional to the load. If you didn't take a heavy strain in setting
it, it might have only dug in one fluke a little bit. However it seems
to take a good bite quickly (unlike plows or Danforths, which you can
drag across the bottom for many yards) when a strain comes on the rode.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Jeff Morris

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
I will grant you one thing - the Chesapeake is about as benign and

environment
as you can get.

unless a T-storm kicks up, or a hurricane.

The soft mud is ubiquitous, and there is no such thing as a
rocky lee shore.

There are a few.

True, but compared to Maine its a padded cell.

Scott Vernon

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
I will grant you one thing - the Chesapeake is about as benign and

environment
as you can get.

unless a T-storm kicks up, or a hurricane.

The soft mud is ubiquitous, and there is no such thing as a
rocky lee shore.

There are a few.

True, but compared to Maine its a padded cell.

yup, and we love it.

SV

SAIL LOCO

I have no doubt it
satisfies your needs, but this is not a good choice for someone that wants to
get a good night's sleep on the hook.

I guess I was lucky then when I managed to sleep through the night the few
times I spent on the hook. One was even in a thunderstorm in Baltimore Harbor
on less than ideal scope because of the depth.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
SAIL LOCO

There are a few.

Yea, that's right! I keep my boat on Rock Creek.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"
SAIL LOCO

I will grant you one thing - the Chesapeake is about as benign and
environment

And one of the top 3 sailing areas in the world.