BoatBanter.com

-   -   Towing Dinghy? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/19935-towing-dinghy.html)

Bobsprit June 8th 04 01:59 PM

Towing Dinghy?

Alien has a nearly 10 foot inflatable Quicksilver with an airdeck. There is a
5HP engine and 6 gallon fuel tank.
I see a lot of boats towing their dinks with motors on the back, but I've been
told this is poor practice. What's the deal? How many of you tow with motor on
the dinghy?

Thanks,

RB

Jonathan Ganz June 8th 04 03:38 PM

Towing Dinghy?

Short distance, calm water, not a problem. Give it plenty of line.
Anything else, forget it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

SAIL LOCO June 8th 04 04:04 PM

Towing Dinghy?

Get rid of the extension ladder and install a set of davits.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

Joe June 8th 04 07:04 PM

Towing Dinghy?

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message ...
Short distance, calm water, not a problem. Give it plenty of line.
Anything else, forget it.

So you tow your cal-20 behind what?

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Joe June 8th 04 07:08 PM

Towing Dinghy?

(Bobsprit) wrote in message ...
Alien has a nearly 10 foot inflatable Quicksilver with an airdeck. There is a
5HP engine and 6 gallon fuel tank.
I see a lot of boats towing their dinks with motors on the back, but I've been
told this is poor practice. What's the deal? How many of you tow with motor on
the dinghy?

Thanks,

RB

Not me. To much wear on the transom, apt to get swamped ect.

I thought people bought blow-ups so they can store them below until
needed.
You need to get a motor mount for your aft rail if there is any room
left around that big grill, huge ladder and that large white sewage
pipe.

Joe

DSK June 8th 04 11:16 PM

Towing Dinghy?

(Bobsprit) scribbled thusly:
I see a lot of boats towing their dinks with motors on the back, but I've been
told this is poor practice. What's the deal? How many of you tow with motor on
the dinghy?

OzOne wrote:
Of course you can tow a dinghy in flat water.
They only cause a problem in strong breeze when they may want to blow
over or in a sea when they'll surf.

This is an area where Navvie can justifiably claim some expertise.

The only time I've towed dinghies with a motor in place is on charters.
It's not a good practice, but if you're lazy and it's somebody elses
motor...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

katysails June 8th 04 11:50 PM

Towing Dinghy?

We row our dinghy...it's the environmental way of it all, ya know....and
builds strong muscles twelve ways....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Scott Vernon June 9th 04 01:20 AM

Towing Dinghy?

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote ...
Short distance, calm water,

in other words, bob**** sailing.

..

..

..

SV

Jonathan Ganz June 9th 04 02:09 AM

Towing Dinghy?

Anything bigger.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

m...

SAIL LOCO June 9th 04 04:25 AM

Towing Dinghy?

I have a 10'6" Avon that I've never used. I'd rather tie up to a pier and eat
at restarunts.

Bobsprit June 9th 04 12:13 PM

Towing Dinghy?

I have a 10'6" Avon that I've never used. I'd rather tie up to a pier and eat
at restarunts.

So what do you do when you anchor someplace where there's only a rocky/sandy
beach?

RB

Scott Vernon June 9th 04 07:33 PM

Towing Dinghy?

Hey dufus, read his post again, s l o w l y this time.

HINT: 'tie up to a pier' is NOT anchoring.

Scotty

Joe June 10th 04 02:26 AM

Towing Dinghy?

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message ...
Anything bigger.

Well that covers 99.9% of all boats worth over 50 bucks

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

m...

Thom Stewart June 10th 04 03:09 AM

Towing Dinghy?

Loco,

You need a Dog in your life and sailing. When you drop the Hook. First
things first.
Dog ashore to check out all those great smells and a squat. Then we can
get supper. One more turn on the shore before we turn in.

That is why I carry a inflated Dink on the stern pulpit.

You're right Kate, easier to row than fool with an OB

Ole Thom

Bobsprit June 10th 04 04:12 AM

Towing Dinghy?

Hey dufus, read his post again, s l o w l y this time.

HINT: 'tie up to a pier' is NOT anchoring.

Scotty Potti, I think you missed the point...again!

RB

Scott Vernon June 10th 04 04:29 AM

Towing Dinghy?

"Dufus" wrote ...

Scotty , I think I missed the point...again!

yes, you did.

Bobsprit June 10th 04 04:31 AM

Towing Dinghy?

Scotty , I think you missed the point...again!

yes, I did.

Yup, you did!

Dummy!

Bwahahahaha!

RB

Scott Vernon June 10th 04 04:40 AM

Towing Dinghy?

Loco wrote; I have a 10'6" Avon that I've never used. I'd rather tie up to
a pier and eat
at restarunts.

then bob**** stupidly asked: So what do you do when you anchor someplace
where there's only a rocky/sandy
beach?

Does he not understand the difference between tying up to a pier and
anchoring?

is he that stupid?

Does he even own a boat?

Can he read?

Is he an asshole?

Scotty

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Scotty , I think I missed the point...again!

yes, I did.

Yup, I did!

Capt. Dummy!

Scott Vernon June 10th 04 04:49 AM

Towing Dinghy?

see bob? Ozzy can read AND comprehend. Too bad you can't.

Scotty

OzOne wrote in message ...
On 10 Jun 2004 03:12:25 GMT, (Bobsprit) scribbled
thusly:

Hey dufus, read his post again, s l o w l y this time.

HINT: 'tie up to a pier' is NOT anchoring.

Scotty Potti, I think you missed the point...again!

RB

He's only smart "sometimes"

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Jonathan Ganz June 10th 04 06:26 AM

Towing Dinghy?

Nope. Mine cost $75 (plus refit).

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message

Anything bigger.

Well that covers 99.9% of all boats worth over 50 bucks

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

m...

SAIL LOCO June 10th 04 06:34 AM

Towing Dinghy?

You need a Dog in your life and sailing..

We took our dog on an overnighter once. He hated it. I think because he
couldn't get a grip on the fiberglass. When we got home he laid in one spot on
the floor of the family room and didn't move for 3 days. No lie. Didn't even
get up to eat.

SAIL LOCO June 10th 04 06:35 AM

Towing Dinghy?

HINT: 'tie up to a pier' is NOT anchoring.

The Boobster can't help it. He's just in a hurry to make a fool out of
himself.

Nav June 10th 04 07:25 AM

Towing Dinghy?

SAIL LOCO wrote:

You need a Doug in your life and sailing..

We took our Doug on an overnighter once. He hated it. I think because he
couldn't get a grip on the fiberglass. When we got home he laid in one spot on
the floor of the family room and didn't move for 3 days. No lie. Didn't even
get up to eat.

I find the not eating bit hard to believe

Cheers

Bobsprit June 10th 04 11:20 AM

Towing Dinghy?

then bob**** stupidly asked: So what do you do when you anchor someplace
where there's only a rocky/sandy
beach?

Does he not understand the difference between tying up to a pier and
anchoring?

Duh! Poor Scotty Potti!!! Still doesn't understand the question.
He said he NEVER used his dinghy.
So Loco NEVER anchors and goes ashore via dinghy??????
Still don't get the point of the post? Now I know why Scotty Potti wanders
through life so lost; he doesn't even know when someone is talling him how
stupid he is!!!

RB

Bobsprit June 10th 04 11:21 AM

Towing Dinghy?

Scotty Potti, I think you missed the point...again!

RB

He's only smart "sometimes"

Yeah...but WHEN!?? Seriously, Scotty Potty is pretty dumb.

RB

Bobsprit June 10th 04 11:25 AM

Towing Dinghy?

HINT: 'tie up to a pier' is NOT anchoring.

The Boobster can't help it.

Still not answering the question, Loco? You NEVER use your dinghy??? You never
anchor and go anywhere????

Just as a I thought!

RB

Jeff Morris June 10th 04 01:10 PM

Towing Dinghy?

"SAIL LOCO" wrote
You need a Dog in your life and sailing..

We took our dog on an overnighter once. He hated it. I think because he
couldn't get a grip on the fiberglass. When we got home he laid in one spot

on
the floor of the family room and didn't move for 3 days. No lie. Didn't even
get up to eat.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"

He was embarrassed when he realized what your boat was.

Scott Vernon June 10th 04 01:32 PM

Towing Dinghy?

"Bobsprit" wrote

Yeah...but WHEN!?? Seriously, Scotty Potty is pretty.

blush

Jeff Morris June 10th 04 01:33 PM

Towing Dinghy?

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message

Dog ashore to check out all those great smells and a squat. Then we can
get supper. One more turn on the shore before we turn in.

That is why I carry a inflated Dink on the stern pulpit.

You're right Kate, easier to row than fool with an OB

You should train your dog to go on the bow - a lot easier than rowing ashore,
especially in foul weather. Fortunately, our dog needed little encouragement,
plus we have a trampoline and a washdown hose. I just have to make sure the
forward hatches are closed before we let her out in the morning!

And for going ashore, a float works better than a dink, assuming the water is
warm!
http://www.sv-loki.com/MiaFloat.jpg
http://www.sv-loki.com/Img_1427a.jpg
http://www.sv-loki.com/Img_1431a.jpg
http://www.sv-loki.com/Img_1411a.jpg

Scott Vernon June 10th 04 01:36 PM

Towing Dinghy?

"Bobsprit" wrote
Does he not understand the difference between tying up to a pier and
anchoring?

He said he NEVER used his dinghy.
So Loco NEVER anchors and goes ashore via dinghy

By Jove, I think he's getting it.

Still don't get the point of the post?

Oh, maybe not.

he doesn't even know when someone is talling him

I'm 6'2''.

SV

Bobsprit June 10th 04 01:38 PM

Towing Dinghy?

Still don't get the point of the post?

Oh, maybe not.

Maybe????

bwahahahahaha!

RB

Bobsprit June 10th 04 01:40 PM

Towing Dinghy?

http://www.sv-loki.com/Img_1411a.jpg

Great, now Scotty Potti will be excited all day!!!! I hope you're happy.

RB

Scott Vernon June 10th 04 01:41 PM

Towing Dinghy?

That's why I'm hesitant to try it with our mut. She's a skittery dog to
begin with. I'd hate to drive 2 hours, get on the boat and find she can't
handle it. Then what? Go home?

Scotty

Bobsprit June 10th 04 01:45 PM

Towing Dinghy?

Scotty wrote:

That's why I'm hesitant to try it with our mut. She's a skittery dog to
begin with. I'd hate to drive 2 hours, get on the boat and find she can't
handle it. Then what?

This is truly DISGUSTING. Someone should report this animal!

RB

RB

Bobsprit June 10th 04 01:45 PM

Towing Dinghy?

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
HINT: 'tie up to a pier' is NOT anchoring.

Yes, I'm quite good at anchoring! Thanks!

RB