BoatBanter.com

-   -   Towing Dinghy? (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/19935-towing-dinghy.html)

Bobsprit June 8th 04 01:59 PM

Towing Dinghy?

Alien has a nearly 10 foot inflatable Quicksilver with an airdeck. There is a
5HP engine and 6 gallon fuel tank.
I see a lot of boats towing their dinks with motors on the back, but I've been
told this is poor practice. What's the deal? How many of you tow with motor on
the dinghy?

Thanks,

RB

Jonathan Ganz June 8th 04 03:38 PM

Towing Dinghy?

Short distance, calm water, not a problem. Give it plenty of line.
Anything else, forget it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

SAIL LOCO June 8th 04 04:04 PM

Towing Dinghy?

Get rid of the extension ladder and install a set of davits.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

Joe June 8th 04 07:04 PM

Towing Dinghy?

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in message ...
Short distance, calm water, not a problem. Give it plenty of line.
Anything else, forget it.

So you tow your cal-20 behind what?

Joe

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

Joe June 8th 04 07:08 PM

Towing Dinghy?

(Bobsprit) wrote in message ...
Alien has a nearly 10 foot inflatable Quicksilver with an airdeck. There is a
5HP engine and 6 gallon fuel tank.
I see a lot of boats towing their dinks with motors on the back, but I've been
told this is poor practice. What's the deal? How many of you tow with motor on
the dinghy?

Thanks,

RB

Not me. To much wear on the transom, apt to get swamped ect.

I thought people bought blow-ups so they can store them below until
needed.
You need to get a motor mount for your aft rail if there is any room
left around that big grill, huge ladder and that large white sewage
pipe.

Joe

DSK June 8th 04 11:16 PM

Towing Dinghy?

(Bobsprit) scribbled thusly:
I see a lot of boats towing their dinks with motors on the back, but I've been
told this is poor practice. What's the deal? How many of you tow with motor on
the dinghy?

OzOne wrote:
Of course you can tow a dinghy in flat water.
They only cause a problem in strong breeze when they may want to blow
over or in a sea when they'll surf.

This is an area where Navvie can justifiably claim some expertise.

The only time I've towed dinghies with a motor in place is on charters.
It's not a good practice, but if you're lazy and it's somebody elses
motor...

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

katysails June 8th 04 11:50 PM

Towing Dinghy?

We row our dinghy...it's the environmental way of it all, ya know....and
builds strong muscles twelve ways....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse