Vito

Default Absolute must read

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0457 906&rd=1

Bobsprit

Wow! Kind of a sad auction.

I wish her well.

RB
DSK

Vito wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0457 906&rd=1

"Must read"?? You're kidding... do you suppose that the sob story is
anything but a shuck to get more & higher bids?

Check this out.

This ebay auction was a riot- one of the funniest things I've seen in a
long time. Unfortunately it's not entirely nonfictional. I began to
wonder if this guy posts here at AltSA....

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rodeur29m.html

DSK

JAXAshby

Wow! Kind of a sad auction.

I wish her well.

RB

reports from several sources claiming to be on scene have it as a fake.
felton

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 09:06:40 -0400, "Vito" wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0457 906&rd=1

It must be a community property state...the woman gets the property
and the man has to leave the community

Actually I am more than a bit cynical of such tales of woe on the
internet to sell things. It has the air of one of those urban legends
we used to hear before the internet...you know, like the guy who
answers the newpaper ad to buy the nearly new (insert desireable auto
name here) for a pittance. Turns out the guy ran off with his
secretary and asks the (ex)wife to sell the car and forward him the
proceeds. Really, it is true, my cousin's barber knows the guy...

I'll say one thing, if they bought that boat from a nonprofit, you can
be reasonably certain that it is a POS.

Jonathan Ganz

That's not completely true in our case. We've sold several small boats
that didn't fit in our program, but we completely refurbished them first.
The ones we didn't refurbish, we priced accordingly.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"felton" wrote in message
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 09:06:40 -0400, "Vito" wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...gory=63730&ite

m=2480457906&rd=1

It must be a community property state...the woman gets the property
and the man has to leave the community

Actually I am more than a bit cynical of such tales of woe on the
internet to sell things. It has the air of one of those urban legends
we used to hear before the internet...you know, like the guy who
answers the newpaper ad to buy the nearly new (insert desireable auto
name here) for a pittance. Turns out the guy ran off with his
secretary and asks the (ex)wife to sell the car and forward him the
proceeds. Really, it is true, my cousin's barber knows the guy...

I'll say one thing, if they bought that boat from a nonprofit, you can
be reasonably certain that it is a POS.

felton

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:15:55 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
wrote:

That's not completely true in our case. We've sold several small boats
that didn't fit in our program, but we completely refurbished them first.
The ones we didn't refurbish, we priced accordingly.

That is good to know. Our Power Squadron meetings used to take place
in a facility that also served as a "nonprofit" collection center for
boats and automobile donations for another organization. What a bunch
of crap in that parking lot every time I would go to a meeting or
attend a class It was kind of interesting to wander through in the
same ways that automotive wrecking/salvage/recycling yards are
interesting, but I never saw anything that appeared salvageable. Glad
to hear that you guys are resurrecting boats and putting them back on
the water.
Jonathan Ganz

I'd say it's about 50/50. Some are just not worth it, and we
usually sell parts or even scrap them. I got my boat that way.
It had rainwater in it and a bunch of broken stuff, but the hull
was sound. They were getting ready to trash it, but I elected
to save it... at least I knew what I was getting into.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

wrote:

That's not completely true in our case. We've sold several small boats
that didn't fit in our program, but we completely refurbished them first.
The ones we didn't refurbish, we priced accordingly.

That is good to know. Our Power Squadron meetings used to take place
in a facility that also served as a "nonprofit" collection center for
boats and automobile donations for another organization. What a bunch
of crap in that parking lot every time I would go to a meeting or
attend a class It was kind of interesting to wander through in the
same ways that automotive wrecking/salvage/recycling yards are
interesting, but I never saw anything that appeared salvageable. Glad
to hear that you guys are resurrecting boats and putting them back on
the water.

felton

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:15:47 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
wrote:

I'd say it's about 50/50. Some are just not worth it, and we
usually sell parts or even scrap them. I got my boat that way.
It had rainwater in it and a bunch of broken stuff, but the hull
was sound. They were getting ready to trash it, but I elected
to save it... at least I knew what I was getting into.

In a weak moment, I was considering buying a "project" Boston Whaler
Harpoon a few weeks ago. I have been wanting a sailing dinghy to sail
in the evenings at a lake closer to home as my boat is an hour and a
half (one way) for me. What a wreck. It was half full of water,
missing the rudder/tiller and had a nest of ducks living in it, eggs
and all. The guy wasn't exactly giving it away, either