BoatBanter.com

-   -   Marina Woes (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/19814-marina-woes.html)

DSK May 24th 04 02:31 PM

Marina Woes

Horvath asked:
Ever try dry sailing, or rack-and-launch? It's becoming very popular.

katysails wrote:
We trailer sailed for many years...it's a PITA

Not if you pick the right boat. If we weren't looking ahead to
retirement cruising, we'd still be very happy with our trailer sailer.

... And then you
don't have the use of your boat any time you want, like those evenings
during the week when we just want to get out of here and drive out for a
quiet evening on the boat....

Assuming a decent public launch ramp (which may be a thing of the past
as Our Noble Leaders decide to spend every penny we've got, or that our
grandchildren will ever earn, on (sound of trumpets) *_Homeland
Security_*) it's easy to go for an evening sail. Done it many many times
after work.

Of course, you have to pick a boat rather carefully, and make sure that
trailerability, rigging, launching & recovering, are all practical
evolutions instead of afterthoughts.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Joe May 24th 04 02:37 PM

Marina Woes

(SAIL LOCO) wrote in message ...
Bet you 500 bucks I have a better sunset view at my slip than yours .

You may have a better sunset view but you sail on a lake.

Just across the lake to get in the bay, across the bay to get into the
gulf, across the gulf to get into the ocean.

Whats wrong with that?

Joe

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
"No shirt, no skirt, full service"

SAIL LOCO May 24th 04 02:47 PM

Marina Woes

Just across the lake to get in the bay, across the bay to get into the
gulf, across the gulf to get into the ocean.

Are you saying the lake is connected to the bay?

Joe May 24th 04 02:50 PM

Marina Woes

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
"Joe" wrote

Did i mention the 12 foot swimming pool, and Outdoor stero system?

Joe

12' deep?

4 foot deep-12 foot wide

What kinda music do you play?

Eric Clapton, Jetro Tull, Pink Floyd, Johnny Cash, Josh White,
Journey, Faith Hill, Charlot Church, Madonna, Stones, buffet, Carley
Simon, phatom of the opera, Hank Williams, Men @ Work, and a couple
hundred others.

joe

SV

Capt. Mooron May 24th 04 02:54 PM

Marina Woes

Wow! Loco..... will wonders never cease?

CM

Joe May 24th 04 07:03 PM

Marina Woes

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
Wow! Loco..... will wonders never cease?

Amazing huh?

CM

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
| Just across the lake to get in the bay, across the bay to get into the
| gulf, across the gulf to get into the ocean.
|
| Are you saying the lake is connected to the bay?

Yes just go to Maps.com and search ElLago Texas, its SE of Houston.
Zoom out on the map. Taylor lake dumps into Clearlake rumored this is
were Jean Lafitte hid his pirated ships among the tall trees.
Clearlake opens to Galveston Bay, Galveston Bay opens into the Gulf of
Mexico and you can figure the rest. Its nice that the water here is
brackish with low salt content until you get into the bay.

Joe

SAIL LOCO May 24th 04 09:02 PM

Marina Woes

Wow! Loco..... will wonders never cease?

Hey dipwad, I'm not an expert but I thought a "lake" had to be self contained
and not connected to the ocean. That's why I asked.

katysails May 25th 04 12:26 AM

Marina Woes

Sail Loco said: Every dry sail arrangement I've ever seen allows you one in
and out every day
you want.

There is no such thing like that in West MI except in Grand Haven, where
they actively dissuade sailors from that marina...but that's ok since they
watch the sewer overflow from the Grand River during floods pass by...I'd
pull my boat everyday too, if I had to contend with that....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails May 25th 04 12:28 AM

Marina Woes

Pricey? it's very cheap, here. We have our own launch. Many people
use it for our evening races.

OK, now I know what you're talking about...I thought you meant like they do
in Florida with the boats stacked on each other in big sheds...only the
racers (melges and J-boats and the like) do that here....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

katysails May 25th 04 12:31 AM

Marina Woes

Doug said:

-- Of course, you have to pick a boat rather carefully, and make sure that
trailerability, rigging, launching & recovering, are all practical
evolutions instead of afterthoughts.

We had a shoal draft O'Day 22....easy to rig, easy to launch, easy to
load....what a pain....all that time re-rigging every time you want to
sail....I was never so glad as when we bought the 27" and got a slip for the
season....I prefer spending my time sailing and enjoying the boat, not
getting it ready or tearing it apart...
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32