Frank Maier

Default Hey, Bart!

DSK wrote:
....snip...
I used to go to a lot of martial arts tournaments, and kendo was always
interesting. Not many people into it. Supposedly the various disciplines
of hand combat, or improvised arms, were able to counteract a sword, but
it seemed doubtful.

Lots of kendo and iaido here in the Seattle area; but yeah, it's
pretty sparse nationally except for a coupla other hot spots like L.A.
and New York, and for some reason unknown to me, the Toronto area.

My sensei also trained in aikido and once demonstrated a whole buncha
bare-hand-against-sword moves for us. He then mentioned that he
wouldn't wanna actually hafta try 'em in real life. Luckily, not too
many people carry swords around nowadays.

Whole lotta guns on the streets, tho...

Frank
Donal

"katysails" wrote in message
Donal sated: Women are only truly happy when they
have something to moan about.

So you're not good enough to make her moan?

So you admit that a good man will make a woman moan??

Isn't that what I said?

Regards

Donal

Donal

"Frank Maier" wrote in message
om...

And, aging sexist that I am, I further admit that I dislike getting
the **** beat out of me by a woman who's about 4'8" and weighs maybe
85 lbs. in her armor! And of course, when we're done, she's gracious
enough to give me a coupla pointers about my (laughably poor)
technique. Yeah, thanks. grump

You will always get beaten unless you change your attitude. A real man
would never attempt to strike a woman.

The next time that you find yourself under attack by a 4'8" woman, do
nothing. Most importantly, you must not laugh. Laughter only prolongs the
process. She will lose both physical and mental strength in a few minutes.
Once she begins to slow down, you may safely grab hold of her wrists, and
gently lower them to her sides (Important Tip: your arms are longer than
her thighs.).

At this point, you should gently explain that you will realese her when she
has calmed down.

But it's great aerobic exercise and you get to hit people with a stick
while yelling at them at the top of your lungs! Try that at your place
of employment!

I keep threatening to! They just laugh.

Regards

Donal

katysails

Jerry commented:=20
Now that's funny!

Thank yew veddy much....
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

katysails

http://www.hearstcastle.org/

Too much to clean.....
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

katysails

Donal asked:=20
Isn't that what I said?

No.
--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

DSK

http://www.hearstcastle.org/

Seahag wrote:
Nice pool!

katysails wrote:
Too much to clean.....

Yeah, but if you owned it, you wouldn't have to clean it yourself.

There are actualy two pools. One is under the tennis courts and is sort
of like an Esther Williams movie set. The one they show off is fancied
up with real-live sho-nuff Roman temple that Hearst bought and had
shipped in. It really is astonishing. One of the guides told us it was a
perk of working there, they get to have pool parties there once a year.

I don't think that kind of traffic in antiquities is allowed any more.
No wonder the super-rich are all so dissatisfied they need a tax break!

Regards
Doug King

DSK

Default Hey, Bart!... kendo

Frank Maier wrote:
Lots of kendo and iaido here in the Seattle area; but yeah, it's
pretty sparse nationally except for a coupla other hot spots like L.A.
and New York, and for some reason unknown to me, the Toronto area.

I bet it is due partly to demographics, and more due to specific
individuals who were successful at teaching others their enthusiasm.

My sensei also trained in aikido and once demonstrated a whole buncha
bare-hand-against-sword moves for us. He then mentioned that he
wouldn't wanna actually hafta try 'em in real life. Luckily, not too
many people carry swords around nowadays.

Whole lotta guns on the streets, tho...

And only Superman & Wonder Woman can use bare hands against firearms.

It's a very long tradition, only recently given up, that gentlemen
carried swords. At high military ceremonies, officers still wear swords
but that is getting quite rare in the US military... from what I've
seen, I haven't studied it close-up for the last ten years or so. But
from about 1980 to about 1990 the swords worn in ceremonies decreased
noticably.

The martial arts issue is several fold... plays into politics among
other things. A swordsman was always a gov't enforcer. And if he killed
ten peasants, so what. But if the eleventh (or hundred & eleventh)
peasant killed him, then the peasants won that round. It's only a bad
deal for peasants #1 thru #10 (#110). Not my kind of odds!

Regards
Doug King

Joe

DSK wrote in message ...
Frank Maier wrote:
Lots of kendo and iaido here in the Seattle area; but yeah, it's
pretty sparse nationally except for a coupla other hot spots like L.A.
and New York, and for some reason unknown to me, the Toronto area.

I bet it is due partly to demographics, and more due to specific
individuals who were successful at teaching others their enthusiasm.

My sensei also trained in aikido and once demonstrated a whole buncha
bare-hand-against-sword moves for us. He then mentioned that he
wouldn't wanna actually hafta try 'em in real life. Luckily, not too
many people carry swords around nowadays.

Whole lotta guns on the streets, tho...

And only Superman & Wonder Woman can use bare hands against firearms.

Wrong, Some can use akido.

It's a very long tradition, only recently given up, that gentlemen
carried swords. At high military ceremonies, officers still wear swords
but that is getting quite rare in the US military... from what I've
seen, I haven't studied it close-up for the last ten years or so. But
from about 1980 to about 1990 the swords worn in ceremonies decreased
noticably.

Its a shame aint it, nothing like gotting to wear a sword to a dance or a battle.

The martial arts issue is several fold... plays into politics among
other things. A swordsman was always a gov't enforcer. And if he killed
ten peasants, so what. But if the eleventh (or hundred & eleventh)
peasant killed him, then the peasants won that round. It's only a bad
deal for peasants #1 thru #10 (#110). Not my kind of odds!

Life is full of odds. Strive to be peasant number 11.

Regards
Doug King

energy policy bb General 29 May 26th 04 06:25 PM
Ok Bart r anyone Joe ASA 32 January 14th 04 12:23 AM
VHF Q? Bart? Scott Vernon ASA 50 November 10th 03 11:34 AM