Michael

Default The boat project continues

Had a good sit down with the folks at the rigging shop today plus the
sailmaker and a couple other crafters. Back to work now to pay for the
outcome. We're going with the roller furling forestay out on the bowsprit,
an attachment point for the cruising assymetrical spinnaker, a non roller
furling self tacking stays'l. (this leaves room for the radar unit on the
mast which didn't work with the pure solent rig and provides a place for a
storm jib for those of us who make sail changes in plenty of time), some
Murray or Anderson bottom action winches, same mast but refitted complete
with everything to include LED lights, full batten loose foot main and a new
boom plus a power vang. The baby stay and two lower shrouds will become
four lower shrouds to make more room on deck. And the wheel steering is
coming off and the tiller is going back on! Most everything is handled from
the cockpit except the halyards and reefing gear. I did this to ensure that
job would be down in plenty of time and not left too late. One shop is
designing a new pulpit/rail system and a new aft pulpit/stern arch system.
My friends at the rigging shop are coordinating the whole plan to make sure
it all works together. One year to go!

Meanwhile there's this young sailor who goes out with everyone and anyone
every chance he gets. Helps out in the refit yard with no pay just to learn
how to do boats. I wonder if he'd like to carry on with Se Fjern. What do
you think? Donate for a tax write off? Sell? Keep her for just in case?
Or start some one else off in this wonderful world of sailing?

M.

Most of that will be ready for this summers sailing the rest happens over
the next winter.

Michael

I had thought a big 140 to 160% but it turns out with my boat and my style
of sailing (single watchstander cruising) a 120 is better. The next one
back I had thought would be a 110% but it turned out a 80% was a better
choice. That one is hank on and is interchangeable with the storm jib. But
both are self deploying from the cockpit. The setup allows space to put the
radar up high which I preferred and by changing the baby stay and two aft
leaning shrouds to four side shrouds cleared space on the deck, allowed room
for the stays'l gear etc. I like to reef down each night no matter what and
religiously reef down plenty far in advance of any impending higher winds.
For that reason we left the main halyard winches on the mast including the
reefing gear. (Two deep slab reefs). This cleared up some space under the
dodger which was needed for the stays'l jib sheet winches, and the mains'l
controls. Outhaul and power vang being the most used. It also kept the
runing rigging lines of the cockpit hatch turtle which means room for
something else like solar panels. Each idea I presented was discussed at
length with riggers and sailmakers and then had me standing in the
conference room steering a tiller with my butt and reaching out and to the
sides for the various lines. Then we repaired to the boat and did the same.
They explained how they would modify and improve my ideas each step of the
way and had me act out using the various lines then measured where the
equipment would go, where I wouldstand and so forth. A real custom fitting.
Thenwe all went for espresso although some of the espresso was microbrew!

The one thing I didn't do was put steps up and down the mast. just two
about four feet below the top so once I haul up I can stand there while
doing whatever. Neat idea.

Anyway at some point I'llbe back from the next freighter run and there will
be photos of how it turns out. Phase One is officially begun!

M.

"Michael" wrote in message
[...]

katysails

Michael noted: The setup allows space to put the radar up high

You're sticking your radar on the mast? tsk tsk...there goes your =
balance....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Michael

Not at all. Might be true on a lighter weight hull but it had no effect on
Se Fjern at 26' and even less on Se Lange at 31'. As I've learned height
is everything. The radars placed low down or on short poles are useful for
harbor entrances and the like, not so useful on open ocean situations. In
this case I have 'weight below to spare. Windage increase would be even more
of an issue but even that is negligible. I added radar to begin with
because of conditions up here in the Pacific NW. Lots of fog during the
best of the summer sailing system is not uncommon. With the original 12"
radome I found life a lot easier. On the trans-Pac I set the guard system
and it would come on every 15 minutes, do 20 turns and alert me if some
target showed. Like an auto-tilller it's an extra crew member. Down low
it's in the troughs too much and tends to beep off on signals from the tops
of swells and waves. Reduce the seas state sensitivity and it degrades
performance in areas needed. By adding height you make it a useful tool.
With the original radar I refined the settings based on actual targets. The
new one is 18" array and works even better. What I would NOT do is put up a
three or four foot array on a smaller hull. That would upset balance and be
a windage issue. The only thing new this time is a swinging type radar
mount.

A neat thing about my present job is the ability to use radar constantly.
While I don't have the bells and whistles of the big 10cm and 3cm Sperry's I
am very comfortable with the use of radar. It's one of the most useful
support tools out there.

But as with GPS I still rely on the basics. The Mark I, Mod 1 Eyeball
System is to radar as good navigation is to the GPS.

M.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

DSK

Default The boat project continues... radar

Michael wrote:

Not at all. Might be true on a lighter weight hull but it had no effect on
Se Fjern at 26' and even less on Se Lange at 31'. As I've learned height
is everything. The radars placed low down or on short poles are useful for
harbor entrances and the like, not so useful on open ocean situations.

Well, how far do you need to see? Our little old (late 1980s vintage) Furuno
mounted 12' above the waterline can pick up a 30' sailboat or a low sandy
coastline at 16 miles. We had a good chance to get it dialed in (and you're
right, experience makes a BIG difference) on our last cruise up Pamlico to the
Chesapeake and back.

In
this case I have 'weight below to spare. Windage increase would be even more
of an issue but even that is negligible.

Windage plus the tendency of lines & sails to snag on the thing. I'd put it aft
especially if you are already putting on an arch.

I added radar to begin with
because of conditions up here in the Pacific NW. Lots of fog during the
best of the summer sailing system is not uncommon. With the original 12"
radome I found life a lot easier. On the trans-Pac I set the guard system
and it would come on every 15 minutes, do 20 turns and alert me if some
target showed. Like an auto-tilller it's an extra crew member. Down low
it's in the troughs too much and tends to beep off on signals from the tops
of swells and waves. Reduce the seas state sensitivity and it degrades
performance in areas needed.

Very true, but that's one aspect of performance that modern sets are much
better. Having a computer analyze the return signal can tell you all sorts of
things that can't be seen by the Mark 1 eyeball. I don't have very much
experience at all with the new fancy radar sets but at some point we are going
to upgrade.

By adding height you make it a useful tool.
With the original radar I refined the settings based on actual targets.

How high do you have to go to make it 'useful'? I think the latter point is mor
important, to have a reliable set that you have experience with real returns, so
that you know what the radar is showing you. Too many people think of it as
magic and only turn it on in foul weather.

One of the best ways to use it IMHO is around commercial shipping, it tells you
unequivocably what their speed & course are. I also believe in taking visual
bearings but it's nice to have the backup.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Donal

"Michael" wrote in message
Not at all. Might be true on a lighter weight hull but it had no effect

on
Se Fjern at 26' and even less on Se Lange at 31'

Have you told us what the make, and model your new boat is?

As you know, I have a particular fondness for the Centaur. It was the boat
that I did my first cross channel crossing in. I'll never forget the land
disappearing into the darkness, and the first experience of being surrounded
by water - as far as the eye could see.

The next morning, the skipper suggested a shot of rum. I assumed that the
old salt knew what he was talking about - so I ignored my instincts and
accepted his rum - I won't *ever* make that mistake again!! John, I know
that you are reading this. It's about time that you explained why you
thought that a Pussers rum would be good at 6 am!!!

Regards

Donal

DSK

Glad to hear from you again.

Michael wrote:

Had a good sit down with the folks at the rigging shop today plus the
sailmaker and a couple other crafters. Back to work now to pay for the
outcome.

I guess staying home to do it yourself isn't an option....

We're going with the roller furling forestay out on the bowsprit,
an attachment point for the cruising assymetrical spinnaker, a non roller
furling self tacking stays'l. (this leaves room for the radar unit on the
mast which didn't work with the pure solent rig and provides a place for a
storm jib for those of us who make sail changes in plenty of time), some
Murray or Anderson bottom action winches,

Sounds like sensible choices up to the last... I have heard good things about
Anderson winches but never used one myself, did not know they made bottom acting
ones. The only bottom action winches I have used are quite old fashioned and
only slightly better than nothing... although very decorative.

same mast but refitted complete
with everything to include LED lights, full batten loose foot main and a new
boom plus a power vang.

Power? You mean hydraulic?

The baby stay and two lower shrouds will become
four lower shrouds to make more room on deck. And the wheel steering is
coming off and the tiller is going back on! Most everything is handled from
the cockpit except the halyards and reefing gear. I did this to ensure that
job would be down in plenty of time and not left too late.

Putting the cart before the horse IMHO. Where the lines are led shouldn't impact
the sail handling decision making, other than where the crew goes to carry out
the actions decided on.

One shop is
designing a new pulpit/rail system and a new aft pulpit/stern arch system.

That sounds expensive. Why not put the radar on the arch too? We are getting
some custom stainless work done on the tugboat, so far have not been handed a
bill but I know it is not going to be cheap. More to be done of course. The fun
never stops.

Meanwhile there's this young sailor who goes out with everyone and anyone
every chance he gets. Helps out in the refit yard with no pay just to learn
how to do boats.

That sounds kinda dumb, unless his work is not worth anything. The days of free
apprenticing are over. My company has to pay wages to mechanics helpers who
don't know a screwdriver from a monkey wrench, but hopefully they are learning
while they work.

I wonder if he'd like to carry on with Se Fjern. What do
you think? Donate for a tax write off? Sell? Keep her for just in case?
Or start some one else off in this wonderful world of sailing?

My advice would be don't "keep her just in case." In case of what?!? Sell if
anybody will give you a reasonable price, donate if not. If you're considering
giving it to the indentured apprentice, then work it out that he'll pay for it
one way or another, or the boat will come to a bad end. People do not value free
things. But it's a charitable thought to help somebody else get started.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Michael

Nope I'm much better at making money than being a boat builder or craftsman
and I sure can't get anywhere near the level of these people up in Port
Townsend. And the cost is lessened as they buy at dealers prices. For
example the power vang (the solid rod looking kind with a control line that
provides support as well as down pressure) boom, fittings and more will run
1/3 to 1/2 the cost of buying it myself.

Where I got carried away a la' racing style was in the main sail. With the
new boom I added all the sail shaping lines you can think of (full batten
loose foot). I don't race per se but I've learned a hell of a lot on making
my sails more efficient by watching and helping out on their boats.

M.

"DSK" wrote in message
Glad to hear from you again.

Michael wrote:

[...]

Essentials of a Marine Boat Alarm System Rick Curtis Electronics 19 February 23rd 04 09:42 AM
offshore fishing adectus General 7 January 3rd 04 03:23 PM
I need your advice for a new boat Kharlosan Cruising 24 November 19th 03 09:27 AM