North Stand

Default Gulf Coast Filters

I'm looking to re-build the fuel delivery system for our 6-71 and
understand that you can use cannisters with paper towels as filter
elements.

Does anyone have any experience with this filtration system?

Rich
DSK

North Stand wrote:

I'm looking to re-build the fuel delivery system for our 6-71 and
understand that you can use cannisters with paper towels as filter
elements.

Is that a good thing?

Does anyone have any experience with this filtration system?

Not directly, but I have a fair amount of experience (albeit not as
much as Rich Hampel) with filtration, purifification, and transfer
systems for fuel & lube oil. Having looked closely at Gulf Coast
literature and talked with several of their enthusiasts, I noted the
following....

1- the Gulf Coast system is a bypass system. This means that the oil
going into the engine is not filtered any better than before, there
may be a reduction in pressure & volume (unless an additional pump is
fitted).

2- Gulf Coast makes a number of dubious claims, some to me are
extremely dubious when they talk about gov't and military customers. I
have been involved with Mil-Spec systems for years, and Gulf Coast
does not meet any of the requirements.

3- The people who rave the most about Gulf Coast systems are convinced
they are saving money by not having to change thier oil and not having
to use "expensive" filter elements. If they think oil and filter
elements are expensive, what will they think of replacing their
engine? IMHO they are putting the cart before the horse.

Over on the rec.boats.cruising newsgroup there is a long running
thread on diesel fuel filtering & purifying (and you can read all Rich
Hampel's advice for yourself), and many of the same concerns apply.
Check it out, although I wouldn't mind seeing a similar discussion
over here.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

MC

DSK wrote:

Over on the rec.boats.cruising newsgroup there is a long running
thread on diesel fuel filtering & purifying (and you can read all Rich
Hampel's advice for yourself), and many of the same concerns apply.
Check it out, although I wouldn't mind seeing a similar discussion
over here.

Why state the obviuous, we all know you are a smelly motor head.

Cheers

Joe

DSK wrote in message ...
North Stand wrote:

I'm looking to re-build the fuel delivery system for our 6-71 and
understand that you can use cannisters with paper towels as filter
elements.

Is that a good thing?

Ive heard this before as well. Seems it might make a fair primary
line filter but on top of that I would use the factory 6-71 gm filters
futher down the line. The builder and tier 1's usually puts a little
more into R&D than a aftermarket co.

[...]

But the oil is purdy and clean?
This would be a good system your saying if you had a seperate pump?
Thats what a trawler man does here. He just circulates his fuel all
the time on a seperate system. Do not know about his oil.

I think Ill just change my oil and filters like the mfgs suggest. I
would like to have a prelube system.

JOe
MSV RedCloud

Whats the damage cause from?
Loss of viscosity and drop of pressure shorten life

Over on the rec.boats.cruising newsgroup there is a long running
thread on diesel fuel filtering & purifying (and you can read all Rich
Hampel's advice for yourself), and many of the same concerns apply.
Check it out, although I wouldn't mind seeing a similar discussion
over here.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

The Carrolls

Filter systems that use papertowels or rolled toilet paper have been around
for years. What tends to happen is the fibers in the filter media(towels or
toilet paper) tend to dislodge and contaminate the fuel or oil.
"North Stand" wrote in message
om...
I'm looking to re-build the fuel delivery system for our 6-71 and
understand that you can use cannisters with paper towels as filter
elements.

Does anyone have any experience with this filtration system?

Rich

DSK

Joe wrote:
But the oil is purdy and clean?
This would be a good system your saying if you had a seperate pump?

That would be better than just installing one of the return line IMHO. But I am still
quite dubious about paper towel filters.

One point in favor is that they might do a better job of eliminating suspended water and
thus reducing acidity in the oil. Maybe as you suggest, a paper towel filter upstream of a
2 micron primary to catch the loose gobbets of paper.....

Thats what a trawler man does here. He just circulates his fuel all
the time on a seperate system. Do not know about his oil.

Yep, a built-in fuel polishing system is great. On my list of things to install, some day.

I think Ill just change my oil and filters like the mfgs suggest. I
would like to have a prelube system.

A prelube system is one of the best things to have on a big diesel, in terms of increasing
MTBF. I was recently told that a really good high flow air filter is a biggie. A preluber
would be fairly easy to install on our boat's engine, too. I could pipe one into the lines
for either the filter or the oil cooler fairly easily.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King