DSK

Default Gulf Coast Filters

to use "expensive" filter elements. If they think oil and filter
elements are expensive, what will they think of replacing their
engine? IMHO they are putting the cart before the horse.

Joe wrote:
But the oil is purdy and clean?
This would be a good system your saying if you had a seperate pump?

That would be better than just installing one of the return line IMHO. But I am still
quite dubious about paper towel filters.

One point in favor is that they might do a better job of eliminating suspended water and
thus reducing acidity in the oil. Maybe as you suggest, a paper towel filter upstream of a
2 micron primary to catch the loose gobbets of paper.....

Thats what a trawler man does here. He just circulates his fuel all
the time on a seperate system. Do not know about his oil.

Yep, a built-in fuel polishing system is great. On my list of things to install, some day.

I think Ill just change my oil and filters like the mfgs suggest. I
would like to have a prelube system.

A prelube system is one of the best things to have on a big diesel, in terms of increasing
MTBF. I was recently told that a really good high flow air filter is a biggie. A preluber
would be fairly easy to install on our boat's engine, too. I could pipe one into the lines
for either the filter or the oil cooler fairly easily.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King