Bobsprit

Default Bill and his portaboat

paid about $1200 for the 8 footer, and it replaced a 10.5 foot
inflatable that cost more than twice that. No regrets! If it ever wears out,
I'd
buy another one in a heartbeat.

Bill, you mention that you own a portaboat. Did you say you can launch it from
the C&C 27 alone? Can you describe the process?

RB
Simple Simon

Those things are a joke. I've seen them. When you put
an outboard motor on the transom they sort of flex
their way through the water. If you wish to be laughed
at, own one. Portaboat = Portapotti.

S.Simon

"Bobsprit" wrote in message ...
paid about $1200 for the 8 footer, and it replaced a 10.5 foot
inflatable that cost more than twice that. No regrets! If it ever wears out,
I'd
buy another one in a heartbeat.

Bill, you mention that you own a portaboat. Did you say you can launch it from
the C&C 27 alone? Can you describe the process?

RB

Bobsprit

Those things are a joke. I've seen them. When you put
an outboard motor on the transom they sort of flex
their way through the water.

Inflatables also flex. Portaboats work well. I just wasn't aware they could be
easily launched from a small sailboat.
Neal, do actually know anything?

RB
Thom Stewart

RB,

Our Pot Luck Yacht Club (Squalicum) have Dink Racers, on our Raft Up,
for the Youngters. The portaboats win every time. They are good tenders.

They are carried and tied to the inside of the lifelines. They are
opened on the fore deck and lowered and slid over the lifelines, into
the water. Very easily. Retrived the same way.

OT

Schoonertrash

Maybe I should keep mine after all. Then I wouldn't need storm shutters on
one side of the cabin. A sailboard for the other side perhaps? They run
well with a goodly powered electric OB as well. Still . . .. . I'mkeeping
my dinjy. (Dinghy to you). I have the shorter one and it cost $300 at Bad
Bob's Bargain Boat Basement (Entrance One Flight Up). I do not however find
them particularly easy to open or close. They seem to develop a memory
when in one position or the other and actively fight change. Make sure,
like one RV'er, you don't end up inside . . . . .. .

MST

Marc

Similar experience. I keep my 10' portabote strapped to the outside
of the life lines on home made brackets similar to windsurfer
brackets. I assemble it athwartships on the coach roof and drop it
into the water with the main halyard. To disassemble, I remove the
seats in the water, hoist it aboard with the main halyard and a
lifting bridle, pull the transom, fold and replace in the brackets.
1/2 hour in and 1/2 hour out. Majority of time is spent retrieving
and stowing the various parts. Boat has a dry ride and is
indestructible. fast as a scalded cat with a 5 horse. Planes two up.

On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 01:00:02 GMT, wrote:

On 08 Dec 2003 00:00:27 GMT,
(Bobsprit) wrote:

paid about $1200 for the 8 footer, and it replaced a 10.5 foot
inflatable that cost more than twice that. No regrets! If it ever wears out,
I'd
buy another one in a heartbeat.

Bill, you mention that you own a portaboat. Did you say you can launch it from
the C&C 27 alone? Can you describe the process?

Yes. I pick the 50 pound boat up and lower it into the water myself. When I want
to put it back on the boat, I grasp the bridle and lift it back onto the boat,
where I then fold it up and secure it to the life lines. It is not very hard to
do.

BB

Bobsprit

Boat has a dry ride and is
indestructible. fast as a scalded cat with a 5 horse. Planes two up.

You guys are starting to convince me...

RB
Marc

You should of mentioned it when you came down. It was right there on
the dock. I could have dropped it in the water ,no sweat. PS, if you
are interested in exercise, it rows well too.

On 08 Dec 2003 15:02:14 GMT, (Bobsprit) wrote:

Boat has a dry ride and is
indestructible. fast as a scalded cat with a 5 horse. Planes two up.

You guys are starting to convince me...

RB

Bobsprit

You should of mentioned it when you came down. It was right there on
the dock. I could have dropped it in the water ,no sweat. PS, if you
are interested in exercise, it rows well too.

I always row the inflatable, which is okay most of the time, Suzanne takes
along the shore of Cold Springs and goes bird watching.
How often do you tow it? Will it swamp easily being towed in chop?

RB
Marc

I've owned it since 1996 and have had several different experiences
towing it. Flat water, motoring, find the right spot on the stern
wave and it tows straight with out any loss of speed at all. Sailing,
wind abeam or forward,tows well,but will hunt as speed is not
constant. Wind aft of the beam and it will be up your ass, burying its
nose. I only tow it now in protected waters for short trips. East
River, Block Island Sound, Race, LI / Jesey Coast, Buzzzards, Cape
cod, Del. Bay, Chessie , I carry it on deck. The only drawbck to that
is , due to lazyness, there is a tendency to not break out the dinghy
if your'e only going to be in a port one day.