Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Simple Simon

Default I've weathered many a storm . . .

I've weathered many a storm in offshore and coastal
environments aboard my fine yacht, "Cut the Mustard".

In most cases, heaving-to is the only thing that needs be
done to ride out a storm in relative comfort. This is the
course of action I mostly take in storm conditions. I
simply heave-to under 50% jib and double reefed
mainsail. The action of the wind on the sails and the
vessel slowly fore reaching yields a ride comfortable
enough to allow me to prepare some espresso on my
non-gimbaled stove. That's how sedate the ride is.

In an extended blow offshore when I don't have
to be concerned with a lee shore I generally take down
the main, gasket it thoroughly and run before it under
50% jib. I enjoy surfing down the wave faces because
my vessel is so well balanced that she exhibits little
or no tendency to broach. Rather than surf straight
down the waves, however, I prefer to quarter them.
This gives me a longer, smoother ride with little
need to worry about stuffing the bows into the
trough. I have never seen the need for dragging
warps or any other such crap like anchors (Thom's
an idiot for doing so.) because speed is what keeps
one safe from waves coming up astern. If one could
go as fast as the waves one could surf for hours on
the face of any wave that held up that long. But,
multis are about the only sailing vessels that can
accomplish this feat. Monohulls must necessarily
proceed at a more sedate pace even in a storm.

So, to conclude:

1) heave-to unless there is not enough offing to allow it.

2) if and when heaving-to becomes dangerous ( breaking
and boarding seas) then run before it with small jib only.

3) when running before it quarter the waves and surf as
much as conditions allow. Don't even consider dragging
warps unless your vessel broaches because of poor
rudder control/inept helmsman. However, a real sailor
should be able to helm his vessel for at least 48 hours
straight without losing concentration or falling asleep.
One must be strong and fit enough to outlast the storm.

4) if on a lee shore, claw off with double-reefed main and
50% jib.

Four simple rules make for a long lifetime of successful
storm management.

S.Simon

ANY OPINIONS ON THE PELICAN STORM or WAVE? ulTRAX Whitewater 3 June 18th 04 01:24 PM
Storm jib? Stephen Trapani Cruising 8 May 11th 04 05:10 AM
Ketch storm tatics Joe ASA 56 December 20th 03 11:07 PM
what to do in a swamped boat in a storm? pb General 9 August 14th 03 05:33 AM
What to do in a lighting storm while Kayaking? [email protected] General 9 July 30th 03 12:05 PM