Joe

Default Ketch storm tatics

In a storm would you, if you had a ketch:

1. reef down the main and mizzen, drop the jib.
2. use just a tri sail on the main mast.
3. use a storm jib and a reefed mizzen.
4. just use a storm jib.
5. Use just a reefed main
6. Use a reefed main and a storm jib.

And why is a tri sail track offset on the main mast?

Is it just because you can raise the sail fast without un-bending the
main, or does it have something to do with shape.

How much, if any foil shape should a tri sail have?

And how do you best figure what size tri sail you should use?

And with a quick double reefing system, do you think a tri sail is
needed?

Thanks

Joe
MSV RedCloud
Bobsprit

Tri sail all the way, baby! Storm jib and mizzen can work, but only on heavier
crab crushers.

You fail to include the severity of conditions in any case.

RB
Jonathan Ganz

Thom Stewart

Nutsy,

Honestly, have you ever, in your whole life ever sailed with storm sail
in a storm?
If you haven't, please don't offer hearsay advice.

I have. One time. Do you know what my decision was? I decided to get
those damned useless sails off my boat, never to use them again. EVER!!

That was my conclusion. I couldn't make any progress up wind, to get
out of the storm and had to turn down wind and get the **** kicked out
of me sailing in the storm. I finally went bare pole and set a drogue,
Which got tossed into the cockpit when I got pooped

Bobsprit

Honestly, have you ever, in your whole life ever sailed with storm sail
in a storm?
If you haven't, please don't offer hearsay advice.

The advice is from the book, Heavy Sailing Tactics.
No, I've not had much experience with a Ketch, but I plan to get some soon!

RB

Thom Stewart

Default Ketch storm tactics

Sorry I hit the send by mistake and I want to finish this reply.

I finally got everything inboard and squared away and just let the boat
take care of itself. My only help was prayer and fear.

I decided all the damn stories I had heard weren't worth a PINT OF ****.

I don't know how to sail in a storm. The people who built my boat know
better than me

I don't say I'm right because I don't know but if you really have been
in a real storm and sailed successfully you can give advice. If you
haven't SHUT THE HELL UP

AND; "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!!!" I now go bare headed in a hove attitude
but pray I'll not get caught again

Ole Thom

DSK

Joe wrote:

In a storm would you, if you had a ketch:

1. reef down the main and mizzen, drop the jib.
2. use just a tri sail on the main mast.
3. use a storm jib and a reefed mizzen.
4. just use a storm jib.
5. Use just a reefed main
6. Use a reefed main and a storm jib.

Depends on the rig, depends on the conditions. Usually a mizzen that is
made for everyday sailing is not going to be tough enough to stand up to
use as a storm sail, reefed & used together with a jib.

But, being able to drop the main and sail under jib & mizzen as wind
increases is a good characteristic. Not all ketches will do it well.

And why is a tri sail track offset on the main mast?

Is it just because you can raise the sail fast without un-bending the
main, or does it have something to do with shape.

So that you can bend on the trysail before the storm, and keep sailing
with the regular main until you need to douse it. In storm conditions,
trying to unbend the mainsail and thread in the trysail is going to lead
to loss of crew or loss of sail at least.

How much, if any foil shape should a tri sail have?

Very little. It does need some camber, but not much. Probably a web site
that says, but I'd guess less than 10%, possibly around 5%.

And how do you best figure what size tri sail you should use?

Scaled to the boats displacement, righting moment, & lateral area.

And with a quick double reefing system, do you think a tri sail is
needed?

Yes. The trysail, or storm staysail, is for conditions that are worse than
you want your regular sails flying in.

Once I experimented with using a small boat's jib as a storm staysail. It
set nicely and was about the right area (60 SqFt on a 30' keel boat) but
shredded after about an hour in 40 ~ 50 knot winds.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

The_navigator©

The tri sail track is to avoid unbending the main as you suggest. Double
reefs are not sufficient. You need a deep reef at least and a trisail
and storm jib are best for ocean crossings.

Cheers MC

Joe wrote:

In a storm would you, if you had a ketch:

1. reef down the main and mizzen, drop the jib.
2. use just a tri sail on the main mast.
3. use a storm jib and a reefed mizzen.
4. just use a storm jib.
5. Use just a reefed main
6. Use a reefed main and a storm jib.

And why is a tri sail track offset on the main mast?

Is it just because you can raise the sail fast without un-bending the
main, or does it have something to do with shape.

How much, if any foil shape should a tri sail have?

And how do you best figure what size tri sail you should use?

And with a quick double reefing system, do you think a tri sail is
needed?

Thanks

Joe
MSV RedCloud

The_navigator©

Can you give an example?

Cheers MC

Not all ketches will do it well.

DSK

DSK wrote:
Not all ketches will do it well.

The navigator© wrote:
Can you give an example?

Sure.... any ketch that doesn't balance well under
jib & mizzen. It doesn't happen automagically,
y'know.

I can't say firsthand, but I suspect that Mari-Cha
4 doesn't balance at all under jib & mizzen. So
there!

DSK

Storm jib? Stephen Trapani Cruising 8 May 11th 04 05:10 AM
what to do in a swamped boat in a storm? pb General 9 August 14th 03 05:33 AM
52 FT Custom Ketch For Sale - Ready to cruise Jon Lancelle Cruising 0 August 14th 03 12:03 AM
What to do in a lighting storm while Kayaking? [email protected] General 9 July 30th 03 12:05 PM
FS: Beautiful 43' Garden Ketch in Oxford MD. Chuck Marketplace 0 July 11th 03 07:58 PM