Schoonertrash

Default It's A Small World

and getting smaller every day. New guy comes on the ship and he's from 10
miles down the road from where I grew up. A week later another new guy and
he's from 10 miles down the road from where I now reside . .or at least keep
my boat parts. We're next to a very very small town but a month or so ago I
found out the motel desk clerk where I just happened to decide to stop one
weekend is from this same place. In another newgroup pertaining to the
industy two of who post here had been telling a youngster about the plusses
and minuses of going to sea commercially. Sure enough he was on this same
ship when I arrived...of all the choices who would have thought? In the
past few years I've met people from many places. The most interesting was a
Russian who invited me to go sailing up by St. Petersburg. And then there's
good friends and former colleagues from many years ago. Between trips I made
a fast run to the southern end of Mexico and met with some former colleagues
from the days of Mobile Training Teams in Latin America, assisting School of
the Americas and the Jungle Operations Course in Panama and the like. Very
young Lieutenants then they are new Colonels and so on in the Army or
Federales (National Police). Since we were near the coast I asked a lot of
questions and got the grand tour. There's a lot of great and wonderful
things down there! But like anywhere some negatives. Biggest problem they
mentioned was the same as here in the US ...drugs. Since I live on a
sailboat they cautioned me a lot about my conduct when I came down. Who do
they watch? People with frequent trips in and out of their country . ..no
visible means of support . . .. . . . those with friends who are known to be
currently or formerly connected with the illegal drug trade. . . . lots of
cash and flash You know .. . I think I'll forget that orange hull and
stick to a white one . . . and forget competing with Neal. Besides "Squeeze
The Orange" doesn't make it as a name. On a happier note I got the feeling
these former students were actively trying to improve things in their
country. The networking between countries because of the training in Panama
is still strong as well. We talked about everyone in the past, fother
former students from Guatemala to friends in Costa Rica. And of course
they asked about me and former unit members. I think they were surprised to
find out I've become much more 'peaceful' in my old age. Anyway it's nice
to have friends! One thing to remember when you travel. Step outside the
US and you leave the Constitution and it's protections behind. In most
other places on our planet. . . the jails are not someplace you want to
visit. Learn the local customs. . . respect the people and DONT get caught
with what you shouldn't have.

In another few weeks I'll be off again . .to somewhere. . . .but knowing I
have good friends and many acquaintences on this not so big anymore planet
is certainly one of the better parts of life. It's always good to know you
can turn to someone for a little assistance or just to converse over a cold
one. Who knows? I might even visit ole Neal one day.

Fair winds

MST

katysails

I might even visit ole Neal one day.

You're figuring on getting that bored with your travels?

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Schoonertrash

Hey . .. you gotta be a kind and caring type right? Now how much more kind
and caring could one possibly be than to visit a poor lonely shut in with
nothing to do? Oughta get the humanitarian of the year award for that
shouldn't wonder.

Along with the small world idea I shoulda mentioned NOT being smart enough
to find a cyber cafe, log on, and send Ozsailor a message when I was in Oz,
the land up over! Too much on my mind I suppose. Anyway to find out I
could have tossed a rock and hit his boat while eating breakfast at their
really great marina was too much. I'm still doing egg on my face over that
one.

So when I leave the coast and get to the Great (Inland Seas) Lakes and get
on down to the upper end of the lower peninsula .. . . I'll make sure to
not repeat the same mistake. I counted the people to visit in the back East
near Europe part of the US. A few more geographical spaces to fill in and
I can get invited for dinner and . . .almost every night!

Cheers and Fair Winds!

Michael

Martin Baxter

Schoonertrash wrote:
I might even visit ole Neal one day.

Fair winds

MST

Make sure all your shots are up to date.

Cheers
Marty