Bobsprit

Default Simrad HT50

Got one of these as a gift yesterday as my birthday is coming soon. I can
always exchange it, but a few people told me they are very rugged compared to
others. It sure seems rugged and heavy compared to the older Icom I had. It
says it can be dropped onto a hard surface without damage and complies with
GMDSS rules.
No weather band on this odd unit.

Anyone know anything about these...looks like this...

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/smd/i...rad/sm1107.jpg

RB
Capt. Mooron

Nice gift... limited use considering your sailing ventures though!

CM

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

| Got one of these as a gift yesterday as my birthday is coming soon. I can
| always exchange it, but a few people told me they are very rugged compared
| others. It sure seems rugged and heavy compared to the older Icom I had.
It
| says it can be dropped onto a hard surface without damage and complies
with
| GMDSS rules.
| No weather band on this odd unit.
|
| Anyone know anything about these...looks like this...
|
| http://www.starmarinedepot.com/smd/i...rad/sm1107.jpg
|
| RB

Bobsprit

No WX ??? That seems rather silly - half the use my handheld gets is WX

My fixed mount VHF has WX and I have a nice weather radio at home. In addition
to that the Subaru Outback has the cold-weather package which includes
integrated weather radio. I think I'm covered on the WX front! Still, an odd
omission. I asked a friend about the Simrad and he says it's main selling point
is that it's metal and very tough. Says it can be dropped and submerged, where
other radios really can't, dispite the JS7 ratings. Anyhow...it's a gift from a
friend who used to pilot a tugboat, so I'm sure he knows radios. Think I'll
hold onto it.

RB
Jeff Morris

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
... I have a nice weather radio at home. In addition
to that the Subaru Outback has the cold-weather package which includes
integrated weather radio.

Spoken like the true sailor you are. Do you take the Subaru with you?

The reason my handheld gets WX use is because if I get up early I don't want to wake
others onboard by running the radio. I'll often go to the stern with the handheld. Also,
there are times I want to get WX but maintain radio watch on 16.

Bobsprit

The reason my handheld gets WX use is because if I get up early I don't want to
wake
others onboard by running the radio.

I know have a Ram Mike, so this is also not a problem. I also have an Ohio
Scientific that can fit in my shirt pocket.
Here's the really odd thing....The Simrad manual says the radio has WX 1-10
recieve only. Nowhere in the manual does it show how to access them and I've
tried every key combo..or I think I have! Must be something scary obvious.

RB
Capt. Mooron

I quess you tried holding the volume key down while turning on the unit Eh?

CM

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| The reason my handheld gets WX use is because if I get up early I don't
want to
| wake
| others onboard by running the radio.
|
| I know have a Ram Mike, so this is also not a problem. I also have an Ohio
| Scientific that can fit in my shirt pocket.
| Here's the really odd thing....The Simrad manual says the radio has WX
1-10
| recieve only. Nowhere in the manual does it show how to access them and
I've
| tried every key combo..or I think I have! Must be something scary obvious.
|
| RB

Bobsprit

I quess you tried holding the volume key down while turning on the unit Eh?

Yep. It switches it from USA to INT channel sets, but no WX. Other ideas?

RB
Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
No weather band on this odd unit.

Don't worry! You only need the weather info if you are planning to untie
the docklines.

It's a very rugged unit - and it might even survive an accidental "seating"
by your good self.

Regards

Donal

Scott Vernon

The CB in my truck has WX, but what's that got to do with sailing?

Scotty, handheld is on Christmas list

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
"Bobsprit" wrote in message
... I have a nice weather radio at home. In addition
to that the Subaru Outback has the cold-weather package which includes
integrated weather radio.

Spoken like the true sailor you are. Do you take the Subaru with you?

The reason my handheld gets WX use is because if I get up early I don't

want to wake
others onboard by running the radio. I'll often go to the stern with the

handheld. Also,
there are times I want to get WX but maintain radio watch on 16.

Simrad TP20 or Raytheon ST2000+ bruce Electronics 2 February 4th 04 07:51 PM
Simrad Tillerpilot Extension Pushrod lgcharlot Electronics 2 December 4th 03 02:58 AM
Simrad HT50 Bobsprit Cruising 0 November 9th 03 12:45 AM
Simrad wp30 autopilot Andrew Electronics 0 September 2nd 03 03:20 PM