SAIL LOCO

Default GPS on my laptop

Most GPS units come supplied or use an optional data cable that will feed your
laptop.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport
Jonathan Ganz

Please don't understate the obvious.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
The only one I've seen is a PCMIA card from Rand McNally, that comes
with a GPS antenna, that turns your laptop into a GPS. About $70 at
Best Buy.

Holy christ, what an idiot.

RB

Njord

Gee, doesn't anyone sail by hand, eye, and feel anymore? I always thought
getting there was much of the fun. Seems like all this automatic 'set it and
let it do the sailing' removes a lot from the experience.

--

Njord

"Lord, your sea is so big, and my boat is so small"

Anonymous

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message
I would advise against using a computer as the primary GPS. And a

"plug-in" GPS (one
that can't work alone) is even worse. At the very least, get a small

handheld that can
stand alone, and connect it to the computer with a data cable.

Although I have a number of computer charting programs loaded, and my boat

is wired
appropriately, I hardly ever use the computer underway. A small mapping

handheld (I have
an older GPSMAP 175, today I'd get a 76 or 176) plus a chartkit suits my

need much better.
I have friends that like using the computer, and have it wired to the

autopilot, so the
boat will "follow the mouse," but they have an enclosed center cockpit 41

foot ketch, and
the computer is right down the companionway. Plus they have another GPS

at the helm.

The last time I researched low end GPS units, I decided the Garmin GPS 72

was the "best
buy" because it came with the cables that would be needed. I don't think

this is still
true - whatever you get, consider the "total cost" of all the accessories

you'll want.
The 72 is nice because it has a large display, its waterproof and floats,

and has a navaid
and tide database.

"Dennis Vogel" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I have a nice laptop running Windows XP with a nice big screen.

Can anyone recommend a GPS plug-in for my laptop that comes with sailors
software? It should have all the good stuff like VMG.

I've been away from sailing for several years. If this is not a good

choice
then can someone recommend a reasonable cost handheld or deck-mounted

GPS
system?

Thanks,

Dennis
Pearson Flyer #168

Jeff Morris

Sailing by hand, eye, and feel is fun. Being lost isn't. While I sometimes do trips
without the GPS, this is to practice navigation, and I usually end up doing less "sailing"
because of it.

My friends that have the computer drive the autopilot migrate between Nova Scotia or
Newfoundland down to South Carolina every year - they've easily logged over 100,000 miles.
I don't think they're lacking "the experience."

-jeff

"Njord" wrote in message news:c_zqb.10359$pK6.8747@lakeread02...
[...]

Capt. Mooron

See now Jeff... from talking to my good buddy after he crossed the Atlantic
from Halifax to Portugal via the Azores... you just cannot beat a windvane.
Sail by Hand across the Atlantic... not a chance. Stand watch and let the
windvane do 90% of the sailing. There's enough work aboard to keep you busy.
He never used his electronic autopilot at all. GPS data was hand plotted to
chart and weather forecasts by VHF [ sailmail/fax.] He uploaded the logs to
a website. Makes for a good read!

Ever hear of the Cornholious Effect? :-)

CM

> [...]
think
| this is still
| true - whatever you get, consider the "total cost" of all the
accessories
| you'll want.
| The 72 is nice because it has a large display, its waterproof and
floats,
| and has a navaid
| and tide database.
|

| "Dennis Vogel" wrote in message
| hlink.net...
| I have a nice laptop running Windows XP with a nice big screen.
|
| Can anyone recommend a GPS plug-in for my laptop that comes with
sailors
| software? It should have all the good stuff like VMG.
|
| I've been away from sailing for several years. If this is not a good
| choice
| then can someone recommend a reasonable cost handheld or

Donal

"Njord" wrote in message
Gee, doesn't anyone sail by hand, eye, and feel anymore? I always thought
getting there was much of the fun. Seems like all this automatic 'set it

and
let it do the sailing' removes a lot from the experience.

Well said!!!

I do my navigation on paper. I find it much more efficient than constantly
changing course.

Regards

Donal

Horvath

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:51:52 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
wrote this crap:

That would be an exceptionally stupid choice for a GPS on a boat. But you knew that,
didn't you?

That's why I use a hand held one.

"Horvath" wrote in message ...
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 10:36:02 GMT, "Dennis Vogel"
wrote this crap:

I have a nice laptop running Windows XP with a nice big screen.

Can anyone recommend a GPS plug-in for my laptop that comes with sailors
software? It should have all the good stuff like VMG.

The only one I've seen is a PCMIA card from Rand McNally, that comes
with a GPS antenna, that turns your laptop into a GPS. About $70 at
Best Buy.

Hero@Horvath

I don't spend my money on food. I spend most of my money
on women, porn, booze, and recreation. The rest of it I just waste.

Hero@Horvath

I don't spend my money on food. I spend most of my money
on women, porn, booze, and recreation. The rest of it I just waste.
Kelton Joyner

How do you get sendmail/fax on VHF out in the Atlantic? My VHF only has
about 30 mile range.
krj