paulr

Default Laptop or Mini-desktop and flat screen?

My 4-y.o. laptop is showing its age and really slow. I am now tossing up
whether to get to another laptop or a mini desktop with flat screen.

As I see it, the advantages of the mini a
Lower cost, more flexibilty in cards, memory, etc
Disadvantage - higher currrent draw viaq the inverter.
How much current do they need? The laptop needs about 3.5A

Advantage of laptop is selfcontained battery, and portability of course.

I would be interested in hearding the collective wisdom of this esteemed
group before we take off for Vanuatu and New Caledonia in a couple of weeks
time.

paulr VK2AHB/MM
"Meridian of Sydney"
Bundaberg Qld

--
Website http://www.rodenhuis.com.au
Mobiles 0408-449-211(CDMA) OR 0438-449-212 (GSM)

Vic Fraenckel

Paul,

I am wrestling with the same problem and while not having come to a
conclusion, I have a couple of thoughts.

A traditional tower type PC is relatively easy to get parts for and can be
maintained by most people, especially those that can do the normal repairs
aboard ship. Only a screwdriver is usually needed to gain entry. Spare parts
are readily available and usually quite cheap

A laptop usually cannot be repaired by the owner and must go the the
manufacturer's repair facility.

I have been looking at the Mini ITX and Shuttle Small form factor computers,
but they are of proprietory designs somewhat negating their small size in
the repair catagory.

Power is a problem, of course, on the larger machines but you have to
contend with battery charging on the laptops. Of course you can run a laptop
of your 12 volt buss. It is possible to get PC form facter power supplies
for "desk top" machines that run off of your 12v DC buss which helps
somewhat by eliminating the inverter.

I know I didn't solve your dilemma but I hope I have helped a little. I will
be interested to see what the community thinks

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman
victorf ATSIGN windreader DOTcom
KC2GUI

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
Read the WIND

"Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long
and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."
- Winston [Leonard Spencer] Churchill (1874 - 1965)

Dost thou not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?
-Count Oxenstierna (ca 1620) to the young King Gustavus Adolphus

Danny

I'll start with a broad generality. Most off the shelf PC's are inadequate
for marine conditions. Whether laptop or tower, the primary difference
between off the shelf and Marine grade is always the viewability of the
screen and the quality of parts and construction. The Panasonic ToughBook
Laptop, just as an example, is constructed with internal parts built to
withstand salt air type corrosion. The hardrive is also shock mounted. Most
importantly the screens are more viewable in indirect and in some cases,
direct sunlight. This is a combination of NIT levels and transflective
screens. There are other brands that offer similar Marine grade PC's.

Nauticomp out of Canada also builds the small compact units for boating.
Same internal attention to detail as Panasonic. Both companies price their
hardware as if they were very proud of them. Often 2x-3x more than an
off-the-shelf department store brand! Nauticomp offers a mini/compact unit
that bolts up under a cabinet, feeds a screen at the nav station and even
another at the helm.
The typical laptop used in an office environment fails 33% of the time in
the first year. Panasonic claims to have less than 1% failure. All due to
primo parts that come exclusively from their factories and solid design.
Nauticomp uses a main stream manufacturer and then enhances them to their
specs.

The most frequent point of failure on a laptop in a boat is.....the hinges
on the screen! The screen itself comes in second.
I prefer a laptop on my own boat. It gives me the ability to take it off the
boat with me and reduce exposure to salt air and thieves. I can also do my
route planning at home or in the office before we go out. I really like the
minis too and may add one someday. Those flat screens do draw less power,
and increase the angle that you can view the image. Makes it nice when more
than one of you is watching a movie. My 15" laptop SUCKS for both of us when
trying watching movies. You have to be dead center to avoid the distortions.
If you're viewing nav charts at a quick glance the flat screen gives you a
better shot at getting the data you need.

Whatever you buy: get something that is heard of else where in the world and
uses off the shelf parts! One particular brand of PC's has proprietary parts
and they just may not be in the South Pacific yet.

By the way, needing skilled crew for the trip South? I know a navigator,
sailing instructor and PC tech that could be had for Rum and a ride. (c;

Danny

"paulr" wrote in message
. ..
My 4-y.o. laptop is showing its age and really slow. I am now tossing up
whether to get to another laptop or a mini desktop with flat screen.

As I see it, the advantages of the mini a
Lower cost, more flexibilty in cards, memory, etc
Disadvantage - higher currrent draw viaq the inverter.
How much current do they need? The laptop needs about 3.5A

Advantage of laptop is selfcontained battery, and portability of course.

I would be interested in hearding the collective wisdom of this esteemed
group before we take off for Vanuatu and New Caledonia in a couple of

weeks
time.

paulr VK2AHB/MM
"Meridian of Sydney"
Bundaberg Qld

--
Website http://www.rodenhuis.com.au
Mobiles 0408-449-211(CDMA) OR 0438-449-212 (GSM)

Dick Locke

On Fri, 14 May 2004 02:39:51 GMT, "Vic Fraenckel"
wrote:

Paul,

I am wrestling with the same problem and while not having come to a
conclusion, I have a couple of thoughts.

I have been looking at the Mini ITX and Shuttle Small form factor computers,
but they are of proprietory designs somewhat negating their small size in
the repair catagory.

I got a Book PC (www.buy-a-bookpc.com), an older, Celeron model like
the 6255. It will take two standard PCI cards. It seems to throw out
more heat than I expected but is running reliably. It fits nicely in a
slot on the boat.

A regular tower is way too big. I also have a laptop on board for
backup and taking to shore for internet connections

Power is a problem, of course, on the larger machines but you have to
contend with battery charging on the laptops. Of course you can run a laptop
of your 12 volt buss. It is possible to get PC form facter power supplies
for "desk top" machines that run off of your 12v DC buss which helps
somewhat by eliminating the inverter.

That would be nice. The monitor/TV is also 12v and doing away with the
inverter is a good idea. Do you have details on this?

I know I didn't solve your dilemma but I hope I have helped a little. I will
be interested to see what the community thinks

Vic

Vic Fraenckel

| Power is a problem, of course, on the larger machines but you have to
| contend with battery charging on the laptops. Of course you can run a
laptop
| of your 12 volt buss. It is possible to get PC form facter power supplies
| for "desk top" machines that run off of your 12v DC buss which helps
| somewhat by eliminating the inverter.
|
| That would be nice. The monitor/TV is also 12v and doing away with the
| inverter is a good idea. Do you have details on this?

for starters check out:

http://www.opussolutions.com/

try searching google for "computer dc/dc power". the quotes help to narrow
the search.

HTH