Bobsprit

Default Nasty, Nasty, Crazy Day Sailing Today

| worse by a thousand miles. From my vantage point a 20 and 14 year old are
BOTH
| children.

Yeah but a 14 year old girl could beat the crap out of Neal!

Good point...but he'd probably pay extra for that.

RB
Thom Stewart

Bart,

I've found that an egg and bread work well for me in rough going. I'd
like to sit down to Biscuits and Gravy but if you can prepare Biscuits
and gravy and runny eggs it can't be to rough.

I've seen the time when I tried to fry an egg, for a sandwich and the
damn thing filled the whole frying pan from the motion in the galley.
That is when I started to cook them in the hole in the bread.

The instant coffee; When you are bouncing around on you ear, a
perculator is a dangerous weapon. Instant coffee and hot water from a
thermo bottle will make a 1/2 mug of coffee that can be handled and a
egg sandwich over hard can be jammed in the pocket of the foulies, if
need be.

As far a Rum (Booze), in rough weather any fool that tries to manage it
in a cup of coffee is out of their mind. If you need it pass the botle
around and drink it that way. Losing a 1/2 cup of coffee isn't to bad.
Losing it with a shot of booze is a waste

If you're eating eggs over easy and making "Lattas'" you're already at
the dock.

Jeff Morris

This comment haunted me so much I am finally forced to respond. The only value of a "peculator" is
to bash the head of anyone that serves you instant coffee.

Instead of having a Thermos of hot water, why not have a Thermos of properly brewed quality coffee?
One measure of truly great coffee is that it still tastes really good after 6 hours in a Thermos.
My preferred method is a manual drip into a Thermos, but I admit that might be hard in rough seas on
a monohull. However, you can even get a plastic or thermal French Press that would be less
dangerous than making instant.

--
-jeff

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message news:322-3FB07D39-524@storefull-
The instant coffee; When you are bouncing around on you ear, a
perculator is a dangerous weapon. Instant coffee and hot water from a
thermo bottle will make a 1/2 mug of coffee that can be handled and a
egg sandwich over hard can be jammed in the pocket of the foulies, if
need be.

Marc

I knew I recognized a gentleman of taste and distinction.
Melita makes a cone and thermal carafe combination which is just the
ticket. Nissan makes a cone that fits a particular sized Nissan
thermos. Both work great. For those with one hull, place the thermos
in the sink and wedge it in with whatever is handy. pour in the
boiling water only halfway up so as to lessen spillage. Great coffe,
no hassle.

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 07:09:17 -0500, "Jeff Morris"
wrote:

This comment haunted me so much I am finally forced to respond. The only value of a "peculator" is
to bash the head of anyone that serves you instant coffee.

Instead of having a Thermos of hot water, why not have a Thermos of properly brewed quality coffee?
One measure of truly great coffee is that it still tastes really good after 6 hours in a Thermos.
My preferred method is a manual drip into a Thermos, but I admit that might be hard in rough seas on
a monohull. However, you can even get a plastic or thermal French Press that would be less
dangerous than making instant.

N1EE

DSK wrote , etc etc.

Great story, Bart. How come you didn't keep the off watch below tending a kettle of hot
chocolate or soup? Anything without caffeine... although caffeine can be a Godsend, it makes
seasickness worse IMHO and definitely tends to increase the risk of dehydration.

The boat was not ready for it's upcoming passage. I spent a
little time in the galley looking for food earlier and could
not find anything I wanted to mess with. Nothing was stowed
well, and I figured it would be hard to find anything. I later
found out where some cold cuts were. There were lots of things
that I know were intended for the upcoming ocean passage, so I
was a bit reluctant to start in on "their" supplies. Since I
could do without easily enough, while those supplies might become
lifesafers for the delivery crew later.

In the future, I'll pack my own food supplies. Especially things
that keep well in a seabag like cup-o-soup. I lived on cup-o-soup
during last Decembers delivery up the New Jersey coast last and
it was wonderful in cold weather. In fact, I'd have to say that
it made that portion of the passage fun, and a happy memory.

During 2 on / 2 off watches I think I had a cup of soup on five
consecutive night watches. It helped me keep warm in 41-42 deg
F weather and was not so filling I didn't want more two hours
later. Also, after making it, it took a while to soften up the
noodles. I used the cup for a hand warmer as long as possible
and sipped it very slowly. That soup, checking the radar, and
logging our position, and so forth, took up the first 45 minutes.
I looked forward to soup each watch and was dissapointed when I
finished it.

I like hot chocolate also. Sailing to Hawaii in '97, our
cook would make one huge thermos of it that would last the whole
crew all night, although we ran out after the first week or so.
The substitute, some sort of lame herb tea was unpopular with
everyone, and hardly was touched all night.

I like a diet coke on watch to help stay awake also. I always
carried two cans of soda in my lifejacket cargo pockets. On
that trip, one old salt asked me about all the crap I had
hanging off my lifejacket. The strobe, whistle, compass, knife
and such, did not make nearly as much impression on him as my
carrying a source of water--which was voted the most important
item needed in a liferaft, by those who have been stranded in one.
He had just read a book on the subject, and here I was putting
it into practice, albeit for other reasons.

Also, as a dinghy sailor you know that if you fall in the water
with a water bottle, it doesn't weigh anything, so I think making
a habit of carrying water or something like that, especially in a
resealable container is a smart move.

UNLESS you have a full bladder like I did tonight watching Master
and Commander. I didn't want to miss a minute of the movie and
I'm grateful I'm not now in the hospital with a burst bladder.
The movie was fabulous and very realistic, although I found it
was based on one of the later books, not volume I.

Bart

N1EE

"Rick \(Saga 35\)" wrote

There are great low-carb cold weather boat foods - chili (homemade, not from
the can), chicken soup (without noodles), fried steak on a low carb
tortilla, single malt whiskey...

--
=================
Rick Krementz

Rick,

Look up my friend Fred on Fair Light, a Valiant 37 down there in
Jersey CIty.
He is a live aboard, good sailor, and cool dude. We should all tag up
for a few beers.

Bart
N1EE

Scotty,

I kind of figured you had too much fun in the 70's.

Bart

"Scott Vernon" wrote

I was like that once, from 1972~1994.

Scotty

The Captains Nemesis wrote

that I had zoned out and was operating on autopilot.

N1EE

Next time I feel a tiny bit seasick, I'm going to
pound down a six-pack and see.

Bart

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
Without a Doubt... It will! Since seasickness is caused by inner ear and
balance which the alcohol desensitizes it will even cure seasickness. I've
proven it over and over again with all my crew.

CM

"Bart Senior" bartsenior wrote in message
| Hey CM,
|
| You must be the one to answer this question.
|
| Does being drunk help you prevent seasickness?
|
| Bart
|

| On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 19:48:29 -0400, "Capt. Mooron"
| wrote:
|
| Yeah I've actually seen real women and they drink it! Unlike you who's
only
| seen pictures of women and drink it yourself! Pantywaist!
|
| CM
|
| "Simple Simon" wrote in message
| news | | You should know.
| |
| | S.Simon

N1EE

I like your trick about putting a hole in the bread,
I'll tell all my friends about that one. A fine
contribution. 2 pts.

I took a few friends sailing in the Charles River once.
After sailing a while, we ran down the river to eat
lunch. I warned one fellow, an Air Force Lieutenant
named Tom, to finish his sandwich quick before we headed
upwind.

He didn't and finally I had to hardened up or hit the
bridge to leeward. I yelled to Tom to trim in the jib
and he put his beer bottle in the mouth, and used his
left hand to trim in the jib. At the same time he
hardened up on the sandwich in his right hand, as he
sheeted in, he squished the sandwich. It was a funny
sight to see his expression with that Heinenken hanging
from his mouth, and the ruined sandwich in his right hand.
grin

Bart

(Thom Stewart) wrote

[...]

N1EE

Default Nasty, Nasty, Crazy Windy Days--Part II

"Scott Vernon" wrote

Maybe I missed it, but, where did you shove off from?

Scotty

Oops. 1 Lash for me. I didn't mention it. It was Norwalk.

To continue the story. After that rough day, I decided it
was time to pull HOOT's mast, and put it up for the season
before the weather got really bad. So I spent the next few
days doing that. Tim, the skipper on the trip I just wrote
about, wanted to thank me for helping move the boat and
agreed to help me haul 200 lbs of shrink wrap up around the
big boat and after he and I drapped it over the boat, I shrunk
wrapped the bottom and tied it down with strapping.

I spent the next few days hoping for a calm day to finish
shrinking the plastic--the top portion from the inside and
this had to be done when there was no wind pressure on the
plastic.

After waiting three days for some light wind, I finished the
big boat and then I did the little boat.

This was my first time using my new $500 shrink wrap torch and
did the nearly the entire job by myself. It was not easy, but
in the future, it will only cost material to do these jobs.

A few days later we got even worse weather. You must have
seen some of that. We had winds with 40 mph steady and gusts,
I've been told, up to 60 mph--for two days! I've never seen
anything like that. I'm so glad I hauled the little boat,
which was using the winter docks at the yacht club, to avoid
hoisting it in and out, and could only be reached by kayak,
since the ladder to the dock was pulled. If I'd left it in
the water, who knows what would have happened.

The first day of the wind storm, I went down to the big boat
worried that my shrink wrap would not hold up. My frame,
built of conduit, was permanently bent over 1 foot to leeward.
I was worried it would be carried away and tightened up every
nut and bolt and screw. At one point at the peak of the winds,
I leaned against the frame to help support it. It felt like
being hit my a 250 lbs man on the gusts. I resigned myself that
I might have to do the whole job again, and prayed it would
hold together since I'd done everything I could do.

I taped up every spot that looked weak and did my best to plug
any place wind could get in. I was lucky, my shink wrap held up
the next 36 hours.

The fellow next to me, lost his shrink wrap completely. It all
started with a small hole and got bigger and then exploded. My
buddy on the other side who had only one minor hole in one tarp
on the first day, had every tarp he had shredded like lettuce
on the second day. I think my theory of taping every hole made
good sense.

You may have heard about the Italians crew who were rescued in
the Atlantic by the Coast Guard at about the same time. It must
have been hell for them offshore. I'd like to hear their story.

It was very nasty in the boat yard, and the marina. The sailing
schools dock, like every sailing school I've ever seen were
in the most exposed part of the marina--which explains the damage.

My buddy with the Sabre 28, whose boat I helped move, left his big
boat in Bermuda (St Thomas had 40 knot winds and nearly a foot of
rain), delayed the second part of the trip, and flew back for a
few days. He nearly lost his new (used) Sabre at the dock, and his
whaler was swamped in the marina and barely manged to get the Sabre
hauled before his patch, which was leaking, failed completely.

I took a student out sailing today for a few hours, and found most
of the heavy dock lines for the sailing school's smaller boats had
parted or were chafted to ruin. The ones that had not, had obviously
been added later. If they hadn't been doubled up, the boats would
have been trashed.

Bart

Sailing is obsolete today ! ! ! Harlan Osier General 19 August 8th 04 02:10 AM
History of the American Sailing Navy - 1949 - Chapelle DuLaze Boat Building 0 June 17th 04 04:10 PM
O.T. 30 years ago vs. Today RGrew176 General 0 February 10th 04 04:46 PM
NO Sailing Today!!! Bobsprit ASA 56 September 25th 03 09:31 AM
Escapism Sailing Scott Vernon ASA 25 July 23rd 03 12:40 PM