otnmbrd

Default The ignorance of the so-called professional captains is astounding.

Wake up and smell the coffee, dipchit !!! COLREGS are one thing
......USCG requirements are another.
If you're too stupid to realize that, you are too stupid to hold ANY
kind of license, for any kind of vessel.

otn

Simple Simon wrote:

I disagree. You cannot have two conflicting sets of rules and
expect to make any sense out of them. There is only one legal
definition of a sailing vessel underway and that is the one
in the COLREGS as long as said vessel is operating in waters
covered by the COLREGS.

The other definition only covers those areas not covered by
the COLREGS.

Lord!

S.Simon

"Jeff Morris" wrote in message ...

You're using a ColRegs definition of sail and power. This is simply not relevant to the
licensing issue. There is nothing that ties the two together.

However, 46CFR, which governs the licensing, says that it derives many of its basic
definitions (or "includes by reference") from the ABYC standards. In there, it defines
"Sail" as "Sail includes sailboats which may have a small outboard engine for auxiliary
power." "Auxiliary Sail" refers to sailboats which have an inboard engine.

46CFR is quite clear on the requirements for a "sail" and "auxiliary sail" endorsement,
and the need to have the appropriate endorsement to be a master on these types of vessels.
There is no mention of whether the sail or engine is used, only the type of boat.
Clearly, to be a Master of a Sailboat, you must have the sail endorsement. Even if you
never raise the sail and power all day on the outboard, while you may be a "power vessel"
from the point of view of the ColRegs, but you're a sailboat according to 46 CFR, and you
need the endorsement.
--
-jeff www.sv-loki.com
"I like sailing because it is the sport which demands the least energy" Albert Einstein

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

All the so-called professional captains continue to embarrass themselves
by refusing to read and understand the COLREGS. They show their stupidity
as well by not understanding the definition of a motor boat.

Fact: any aux/sailboat when its motor is running, no matter whether it
has sails up or not, is a motor boat according to the Rules.

This means that a 25GT Master of Steam or Motor Vessels Near Coastal
does not need a sail endorsement to carry passengers for hire unless and
until the motor is turned off and the vessel is operating under sail alone.

Even then it's a gray area because all one need do is keep the steaming
cone up and you are still considered a motor boat by any and all vessels
you may happen to come across. The simple act of displaying the cone
makes your Master of Steam or Motor Vessels license all that is needed
to be legal. The cone makes you a motor boat. The only time you cannot
be a motor boat is if you have no motor installed. Then flying the cone
is not legal because it's a lie. The Master of the vessel is the person
who decides if his aux/sail vessel is a sailboat or a motorboat and
not the courts and not the Coast Guard. Just to make the case 100
percent watertight all the Master need do is just keep the motor
turning over at an idle and there is no lie. Everything is on the up
and up according to the definitions in the Rules. No court in the
land can decide any different without misinterpreting the Rules.

Rick is clearly an idiot and so is Shen44 and otn if they fail to
see these simple facts that represent the truth the whole truth
and nothing but the truth. Rick wrote: "You are NOT a master of
sailboats of any sort. You are not a professional sailor."

Wrong! I am Master of an aux/sailboat because an aux sailboat
with the motor running is a motorboat and a motorboat license if
appropriate for its operation.

Rick further embarrassed himself by writing the following gem:
"The funny part is that Nil hangs all his claims to fame and status on
being a sailor of sailboats and loudly and continually condemns all
powerboaters as some sort of subspecies."

Wrong again! I have always maintained that I studied for and
obtained a Masters license mostly for the knowledge gained and
not to make a living with it. It allows me to legally do a little
work on the side in BOTH my aux/sailboat and my Boston Whaler.
It also allows me to keep honest you ego cases who live and breath
motorboats only. You just hate the fact that a single-handed
sailor who lives aboard and actually goes places knows as much
as you do and passed the same tests you took probably with
better scores to boot.

S.Simon

Master of Steam or Motor Vessels of not more than 25GT
upon Near Coastal Waters, also Operator of Uninspected
Passenger Vessels upon Near Coastal Waters not to exceed
100 miles offshore.

Simple Simon

You wake up and smell the coffee yourself. Licensing is
based on knowledge of the COLREGS and not on knowledge
of USCG licensing requirements.

S.Simon

Simple Simon wrote:

[...]

otnmbrd

ROFLMAO As Jeff has said, in another post ..... Do you REALLY hold a
license??????
You can't POSSIBLY have taken any kind of license exam, no matter what
tonnage, and truly believe this nonsense !!!!!!!

otn

Simple Simon wrote:

[...]

otnmbrd

OK, Neal, I'll bite and reply to this bit of ignorance .... comments
interspersed:

Simple Simon wrote:

All the so-called professional captains continue to embarrass themselves
by refusing to read and understand the COLREGS. They show their stupidity
as well by not understanding the definition of a motor boat.

The definition of COLREGS regarding motorboats and USCG regarding
powerdriven/aux-sail/sail for license purposes, are two different animals.

Fact: any aux/sailboat when its motor is running, no matter whether it
has sails up or not, is a motor boat according to the Rules.

Low and behold, we can agree on something .... as long as it is being
propelled by that motor.

This means that a 25GT Master of Steam or Motor Vessels Near Coastal
does not need a sail endorsement to carry passengers for hire unless and
until the motor is turned off and the vessel is operating under sail alone.

Wrong. If the vessel's construction and function, is a aux - sail boat,
then he must have a sailing endorsement, to cover the boats main
construction/function. If you remove the mast and only proceed underway
on power, then you are fine.

Even then it's a gray area because all one need do is keep the steaming
cone up and you are still considered a motor boat by any and all vessels
you may happen to come across.

Typically wrong ... considered and is, are two different things.

The simple act of displaying the cone
makes your Master of Steam or Motor Vessels license all that is needed
to be legal.

Typically wrong

The cone makes you a motor boat. The only time you cannot
be a motor boat is if you have no motor installed. Then flying the cone
is not legal because it's a lie. The Master of the vessel is the person
who decides if his aux/sail vessel is a sailboat or a motorboat and
not the courts and not the Coast Guard. Just to make the case 100
percent watertight all the Master need do is just keep the motor
turning over at an idle and there is no lie. Everything is on the up
and up according to the definitions in the Rules. No court in the
land can decide any different without misinterpreting the Rules.

Sorry, but typically you are trying to join the USCG licensing with the
COLREGS. One has nothing to do with the other.

Rick is clearly an idiot and so is Shen44 and otn if they fail to
see these simple facts that represent the truth the whole truth
and nothing but the truth. Rick wrote: "You are NOT a master of
sailboats of any sort. You are not a professional sailor."

That's the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Wrong! I am Master of an aux/sailboat because an aux sailboat
with the motor running is a motorboat and a motorboat license if
appropriate for its operation.

Typically wrong, but in truth, I could care less. If you want to work
under that false assumption, have at it. If the day should come, that
you should get caught and end up in court, I will sit back and enjoy a
great belly laugh, at your expense.
I've said it before, and I'll probably say it again .... you're a phony
wannabe, not worthy of anyone's respect, where licenses and maritime
knowledge are concerned.

[...]

ROFLMAO Neal, I've probably forgotten more basic seamanship, than you'll
ever learn (EG I can see a stupid Neal post coming) ... as for test
..... any monkey can be trained to pass a test .... it's what they do
AFTER they pass the test, that counts.

Neal ... what's "bung up and bilge free"?

otn

Simple Simon

Don't worry about me. I'm plenty intelligent to take care of
myself.

You're entitled to your opinions - limited in scope though
they often are - so I'll allow then to stand or fall on
their own merit.

Every seaman knows what bung up and bilge free means.

It was derived from the practice of storing wooden barrels
with the bung up and stacked free of any bilge water.

Nowadays it means 'Alright'.

How are you doing Captain? Oh, I'm bung up and bilge free!

S.Simon - knows more than anyone thinks and learns by
living the life of a sailor not some lubberly
homebody.

Simple Simon wrote:

[...]

otnmbrd

Comments interspersed:

Simple Simon wrote:

Don't worry about me. I'm plenty intelligent to take care of
myself.

Debatable .... you so far haven't had the intelligence, background, or
experience, to come off as anything but a "fool wannabe" in any subject
I've been involved with.

You're entitled to your opinions - limited in scope though
they often are - so I'll allow then to stand or fall on
their own merit.

G The scope of what I've forgotten, far exceeds the scope of all that
you may have learned.

Every seaman knows what bung up and bilge free means.

ROFL BS!! You did a quick google (I'll give you credit for that ability)

It was derived from the practice of storing wooden barrels
with the bung up and stacked free of any bilge water.

Actually, not true. Your search did not give you all the info.
Casks (not barrels) had a bulge in the middle. The idea of "bilge free"
was that you didn't want this bulge, touching the cask below, so the
stow needed to be set up, such that the ends where supported and the
middle was kept free of touching anything, be it bilge water, or the
cask, below (this could also be applied to barrels) ....... nice try,
but, as per usual, you showed your lack.....

Nowadays it means 'Alright'.

How are you doing Captain? Oh, I'm bung up and bilge free!

S.Simon - knows less than anyone thinks and learns nothing by