Bobsprit

Default Serious Sailing Cockpit???

The C&C 27 Mk V cockpit is designed for hanging out. No big winches to get in
the way...and only a puny tiller for those who like long sticks!

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/1/0/7/7/4/1077418_6.jpg

Bwahahahahahaha!

RB
SkitchNYC

The C&C 27 Mk V cockpit is designed for hanging out. No big winches to get in
the way...and only a puny tiller for those who like long sticks!

Looks pretty cool to me. I like the tiller extension and the reverse camber
coamings - sail it like a big dinghy.

Simple Simon

You're right. Rather than have it right there in the
way it would be smart to put a mid-boom sheeting
traveler on the coach. The picture shows an example
of poor design.

S.Simon

"SkitchNYC" wrote in message
The C&C 27 Mk V cockpit is designed for hanging out. No big winches to

get in
the way...and only a puny tiller for those who like long sticks!

Looks pretty cool to me. I like the tiller extension and the reverse

camber
coamings - sail it like a big dinghy.

Jeff Morris

The Irwin 30 we borrowed for a season had that, and I thought it was a horrible design. A
few years later a friend had to be taken to the emergency room for a Cat Scan after being
whacked by the mainsheet in a jibe. The skipper said "yea, someone gets hit by that every
year!" Following that he relocated the traveler to the coachroof.

One reason why we went for the new PDQ, rather than slightly used, is that they relocated
the traveler to the hardtop, so there are no dangerous lines in the cockpit.

"SkitchNYC" wrote in message
The C&C 27 Mk V cockpit is designed for hanging out. No big winches to

get in
the way...and only a puny tiller for those who like long sticks!

Looks pretty cool to me. I like the tiller extension and the reverse

camber
coamings - sail it like a big dinghy.

DSK

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

I don't much like the traveller in front of the cockpit. It
just creates a hazard.

Depends on the boat, depends on the cockpit design. Unless you're talking a
40 footer, aracer/cruiser is not going to have a big enough cockpit to split
and run the traveler across the middle. A bridge deck traveller is the only
sensible choice. Of course, some are poorly designed and/or afterthoughts.

Some boats have short booms and don't have much sail area, so the leverage
given up by putting the traveller further forward, above the companionway, is
not too bad. But on a boat with a decent amount of horsepower in the rig,
this is just going to make the main harder to trim. Might as well not have a
traveller. Also, it's in the way of control lines.

Another option is to put the traveller across the back of the cockpit. This
is a good idea in boats with really long booms and wide aft sections;
otherwise the traveller is too far back & too short to add much control over
a simple centerline sheet block.

It's noteworthy that all the hot rod racing dinghies don't even fool with
travellers any more. They all have bridles and strong boom vangs.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bobsprit

And contrary to what some of the armchair "experts" here think, you CAN get
more
than 100% out of a boat. If you knew anything about sailing, you would know
why.

Such a subjective concept, I amazed that anyone would debate it as point of
fact.
Oh, wait...it's Binary Jane and his baby C&C 27 that costs less than my station
wagon!
Maybe he could get 40% out of it!
34XL, baby!

Bwahahahahahaha!