BoatBanter.com

-   -   Inherently beautiful. (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/17999-inherently-beautiful.html)

Simple Simon October 18th 03 11:51 PM

Inherently beautiful.

http://captneal.homestead.com/files/hankdetail.jpg

Stainless steel wire, bronze hank, stainless grommet, the sun
shining through. It just makes you want to go sailing!

There is something inherently beautiful about a proper hank-on
sail. Compare the above picture to the awful mess you look at
on you boat if it has roll-ups.

S.Simon

SAIL LOCO October 19th 03 05:33 AM

Inherently beautiful.

There is something inherently beautiful about a proper hank-on sail.

Yea they look real nice especially when they are scalloped going up wind.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Martin Baxter October 19th 03 06:34 AM

Inherently beautiful.

SAIL LOCO wrote:

There is something inherently beautiful about a proper hank-on sail.

Yea they look real nice especially when they are scalloped going up wind.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Now Loco, lets be fair here, some of us still sail with hank-ons, if
you've
got scallops you've got something wrong, (which Neal has in abundance),
get
the forestay tension and luff tension right and you won't have them.

Cheers
Marty

Bobsprit October 19th 03 12:31 PM

Inherently beautiful.

if
you've
got scallops you've got something wrong

Good god.

RB

Thom Stewart October 19th 03 03:43 PM

Inherently beautiful.

S. Simian,

There is absolutely nothing beautiful about a Hank. Nothing! Not when
they are brand new and even uglier as they get a little wear and stain
the sail.

A properly set sail is a thing of beauty but the hanks are only an ugly
distraction. Get real!

Hanks are about as beautiful as a length of toilet paper stuck to your
shoe!!

AND; "I'LL DRINK TO THAT!"

Ole Thom

SAIL LOCO October 19th 03 04:24 PM

Inherently beautiful.

Now Loco, lets be fair here, some of us still sail with hank-ons, if
you've got scallops you've got something wrong.

Nope, don't have the problem. I use a Tuff Luff.

S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

JN October 19th 03 08:16 PM

Inherently beautiful.

Best move I ever made was installing Pro-furl. Nose into the wind, engine
as low as possible to keep her there. Leave the cockpit to raise the main,
return to the cockpit and steer in the direction you need to go. Main
fills, switch the engine off and all becomes quiet. Grab the furling line
and unfurl the headsail. No hanking, No farting around with the headsail
after the main is up. Easy to single-hand and let your sweetie do what she
does best - look pretty!

Heaven isn't as advertised unless it's got wide water, sailboats, and fresh
breezes.

Capt. Mooron October 19th 03 09:01 PM

Inherently beautiful.

Best move I've ever done was not bothering to start the engine. Hank on the
headsail, raise the main and jib from the cockpit, free the mooring line,
trim and sail away. this can just as easily be done from a lee dock as well.

No farting around with some ultra gay female furling prone to jam and manly
enough to know you don't need fancy gear to be able to single hand your
boat... without needing the engine like so many roller furling users.

CM

JN October 19th 03 09:23 PM

Inherently beautiful.

Obviously you aren't situated between a finger pier and a neighboring boat,
and once out of the slip having to make you way out between the piers of
slips into open water. Oh, there have been times I've really been tempted
to try, but any hair brained idiot who rams my docked boat while trying such
a stunt would receive my full wrath. I therefore extend everyone else in
the marina neighborhood the same courtesy of insuring complete control of my
vessel while in such close circumstances and that requires the engine. Do
you still insist on using belaying pins and baggywrinkles? Maybe you think
wheel steering has no place on a sailboat? Maybe you're just a miserable
old fart.

Simple Simon October 19th 03 09:29 PM

Inherently beautiful.

Excuses, excuses! You're a lazy person not interested in
sailing at all. Your first priority is your motor. Your second
priority is a compromise headsail. You probably have a
mainsail that rolls up to - pathetic!

Get out of here and get over to rec.boats where the motor
boaters hang out!

S.Simon

Simple Simon October 19th 03 09:52 PM

Inherently beautiful.

"JN" wrote in message ...
I therefore extend everyone else in the marina neighborhood the same
courtesy of insuring complete control of my vessel while in such close
circumstances and that requires the engine.

Talk about a motor boat mentality!

Any sailor knows his boat is more maneuverable under working
sail than engine alone. Any lazy bum can motor along and consider
himself safe yet one still hears many more stories of boats ramming
the dock under motor than under sail.

S.Simon

Capt. Mooron October 19th 03 10:05 PM

Inherently beautiful.

If you had a clue about boat handling or the experience of operating a large
sail vessel without any auxiliary... then you might be able to talk to me
about ship handling in tight quarters under sail. I have such experience.
It's amazing what a sailboat can do in the right hands of someone with
competence.

The situation you describe is easily and safely maneuvered with some fore
thought and a speck of navigational, helm and ship handling experience. It's
fine that you use an engine to compensate for your obvious lack of skills.
I'm certain every slip neighbour draws a sigh of relief at your safe
negotiation of the slips at your marina.

Yes I use belaying pins to correct errant crew and baggywrinkles to cushion
my rum bottle from damage..... I'll bet you use a foam cushioned Mylar
drink holder from on of the lofts to cradle your wine coolers.

Wheel steering is fine on a larger boat. A 27 footer with a wheel is plain
stupid. My 30 footer has stern hung rudder and a tiller. That's proper!

Miserable???.... No. Old... no way! Likely to take issue with an ill
conceived, ignorant, poorly informed, pompous rant of idiocy from the likes
of you.... You Bet!

Next time you feel like you are the last word on proper sailing
technique.... whack your thick skull into the desk a few times and keep in
mind I'll be standing by to correct you on your decimation of dangerous and
idiotic diatribe.

CM

JN October 19th 03 11:08 PM

Inherently beautiful.

After BACKING out of the slip, I have about 50 feet of water between me and
the boats docked on the other side of the channel. It takes an engine to
stop the backward motion of my 30' sloop in that amount of space so I don't
hit any of the boats on the other side. After achieving a forward motion,
someone could probably raise the sail, but my recommendation to anyone whose
boat was damaged from anyone trying that would be to take their boat away
from them by lawsuit. Negligence is the word I would recommend using. Then
sell one boat and buy more toys courtesy of the idiot.

Simple Simon October 19th 03 11:16 PM

Inherently beautiful.

Your motor boat mentality is showing again.

You could always push your boat out of the slip.
There is a little inertia to overcome but after that
it just glides backwards for a long way. If you
had both sails up and luffing it would be very
to jump aboard at the end of the slip and use
the tiller to turn the boat in the desired direction
so the sails would work when sheeted in.

How do you think sailboats got around before
there were motors? You're way too worried
about hitting something. It's hard to prove
negligence and besides it is never negligent
to sail a sailboat as long as you follow the
COLREGS and speed limits.

S.Simon

Donal October 20th 03 12:05 AM

Inherently beautiful.

"JN" wrote in message
.. .
After BACKING out of the slip, I have about 50 feet of water between me

and
the boats docked on the other side of the channel.

That is pure luxury!

I've got less than 40 feet *before* I back out!

Regards

Donal

otnmbrd October 20th 03 12:48 AM

Inherently beautiful.

LOL If you guys are worried about 40'-50' clearances, I'd hate to see
what you'll be like when things get close. ...... course, in Neal's
case, doubt he could work around any docks .... probably why he's at a
mooring (anchors as close as he can, then hops into his dingy and runs a
line to his mooring)

otn

Donal wrote:
.. .

Capt. Mooron October 20th 03 01:05 AM

Inherently beautiful.

The Captains Nemesis wrote in message
| Bwaaahaaaahahaaaa!
| My 30' boat has no auxiliary.
| She is sailed into and out of a crowded marina every weekend without
| accident.
|
| You need to brush up on your skills, Learn how to back and stop a boat
| under sail.

Well put Oz.... this poster is representative of the level of boat
handling skills of the modern day sailor. Self professed "Experts" with
minimal experience and limited skills. Yet they'll post like their opinion
has merit. To those of us who know better... it's embarrassing to have them
comment on any sailing topic. They are clearly in the primary stage of
sailing development and should really learn their place.....

CM

Donal October 20th 03 01:11 AM

Inherently beautiful.

"otnmbrd" wrote in message
ink.net...
LOL If you guys are worried about 40'-50' clearances, I'd hate to see
what you'll be like when things get close. ...... course, in Neal's
case, doubt he could work around any docks .... probably why he's at a
mooring (anchors as close as he can, then hops into his dingy and runs a
line to his mooring)

otn

C'mon, be fair.

Getting a 33 ft boat out of a berth when there is only 40 ft behind her, is
not easy.

Regards

Donal

JN October 20th 03 01:28 AM

Inherently beautiful.

Stupid ****s! I never claimed to be an expert. And you two are relics,
either living in isolation or accidents waiting to happen. Today's waters
are much to crowded. Today's sailboats are much more advanced, so why not
make use of the fact that we now have auxiliary power. Today's population
is much too lawsuit happy. I happen to own three sailboats. Two are
smaller and my only auxiliary power is a boat paddle because it's required
by law in my state. My 30 footer has the capability to do damage, and
therefore I take all precautions....

How would you like to get on an airliner and learn the pilot does his
pre-flight checks from memory, not by checklist? Would you say they are not
experienced pilots.

I agree with Bob****, your sailboats are among the majority that never leave
the dock.

Capt. Mooron October 20th 03 01:32 AM

Inherently beautiful.

Do you think you could maneuver as handily in a full keeled sailboat with no
engine in an area like that or are you addressing this to dual screws and
bow thrusters??

Until you can competently maneuver a boat under sail in tight areas....
making a claim of ability based on power driven propulsion falls short of
having any bearing on the subject at hand. I've had the helm on some fairly
large motor boats in my life and none proved to be very difficult to
maneuver or place to a dock in any conditions. [ Okay so maybe 90 ft boats
and ferries with a barge attached aren't that big to you.... they're big to
me! ;-)...]

CM

ink.net...

otnmbrd October 20th 03 02:09 AM

Inherently beautiful.

Sure it is, if you know what you're doing, and have done it, and
conditions are right, and you don't "screw the pooch".

otn

Donal wrote:
ink.net...

otnmbrd October 20th 03 02:30 AM

Inherently beautiful.

Capt. Mooron wrote:

Do you think you could maneuver as handily in a full keeled sailboat with no
engine in an area like that or are you addressing this to dual screws and
bow thrusters??

Yup, used to do it all the time, back when I owned a sailboat ....
always got a kick out of it, when all went well.

Until you can competently maneuver a boat under sail in tight areas....
making a claim of ability based on power driven propulsion falls short of
having any bearing on the subject at hand. I've had the helm on some fairly
large motor boats in my life and none proved to be very difficult to
maneuver or place to a dock in any conditions. [ Okay so maybe 90 ft boats
and ferries with a barge attached aren't that big to you.... they're big to
me! ;-)...]

CM

I was sticking to the subject at hand. My 26' Contessa, sailed and
maneuvered very nicely, under working jib, in close quarters.

As for large ships (500'-800') 50 foot is the minimum clearance I try
for, but frequently I have to watch the tug clearance, since I may have
to "fold" them alongside at times, until they have room to work.

otn

ink.net...

The_navigator© October 20th 03 02:54 AM

Inherently beautiful.

You think you've got it tough! We've got 30' to turn a 40' boat and
that's with a regular hurricane blowing us across the dock!

Cheers MC

Donal wrote:

.. .

Capt. Mooron October 20th 03 03:21 AM

Inherently beautiful.

"JN" wrote in message

| Stupid ****s! I never claimed to be an expert.

Typical reaction from a dock sailor with severely impeded sailing skills....
he reverts to slander when exposed for the lying sack of excrement he
portrayed himself to be on his first post on this subject.

And you two are relics,

I'm very experienced with boats... to a level which is so much more than
you ever have a hope of achieving. You'll continually spout off useless
gibberish to anyone dockside willing to listen for the sole purpose of
attempting to convince yourself you have something important or useful to
offer. Newsflash... you don't have a friggin clue as to vessel control or
operation. You're point of view is ridiculous in it's inherent infantile,
meaningless and distorted basis.

| either living in isolation or accidents waiting to happen.

This from someone who admits he can't negotiate a marina without bow
thrusters and fending poles.

Today's waters
| are much to crowded. Today's sailboats are much more advanced, so why not
| make use of the fact that we now have auxiliary power.

Read he couldn't sail a real boat since he relies on the engine more than
the sails..... STINKPOTTER!
You are truly representative of the useless, ignorant boatowners filling the
marinas like a rampant pox on boating. Totally clueless and dependant on
every technological advance to keep you from self immolation due to terminal
incompetence.

Today's population
| is much too lawsuit happy. I happen to own three sailboats.

Proof money won't buy you skill or intelligence.

Two are
| smaller and my only auxiliary power is a boat paddle because it's required
| by law in my state. My 30 footer has the capability to do damage, and
| therefore I take all precautions....

No!.... you're the one with the capacity to do damage .... because you are
plain too stupid to operate a boat.

| How would you like to get on an airliner and learn the pilot does his
| pre-flight checks from memory, not by checklist? Would you say they are
not
| experienced pilots.

I don't give a rat's ass what they do..... if they crash and I live... they
better start running or I'll kick their sorry asses back to the airport!

| I agree with Bob****, your sailboats are among the majority that never
leave
| the dock.

You agree with Bob..... of course you would. Bwahahahahahahahahaaaa!!

CM

Martin Baxter October 20th 03 03:34 AM

Inherently beautiful.

The Captains Nemesis wrote:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:34:58 -0400, Martin Baxter
wrote:

Now Loco, lets be fair here, some of us still sail with hank-ons, if
you've
got scallops you've got something wrong, (which Neal has in abundance),
get
the forestay tension and luff tension right and you won't have them.

Cheers
Marty

Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaa....hahahahahah ahahahaaaaaa...hahhaaaaaa..hahahahahhahahahahhhaha hhhaaaaaaaaaaa!

Scintillating Oz, simply scintillating.

Cheers
Marty

Martin Baxter October 20th 03 03:38 AM

Inherently beautiful.

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

Best move I've ever done was not bothering to start the engine. Hank on the
headsail, raise the main and jib from the cockpit, free the mooring line,
trim and sail away. this can just as easily be done from a lee dock as well.

But Oz won't have them Mooron, and he's next to God, so we must be
doomed to
purgatory, or worse.

Cheers
Marty (who doesn't have scallops, 'cept for dinner)

Thom Stewart October 20th 03 04:08 AM

Inherently beautiful.

Donal,

Sounds like my Slip. 2 boats per slip with 45 ft water ways. I'm slip 40
of 100. When I sail in I have to sail past my slip. tack from the far
side and curve back into my Starboard side. Going out? depends on the
Tide. If it pushes the stern to Port; all well. I back out with Main up.
As soon as I start turning board to the wind, I have to harden up before
the bow clears so that leeway doesn't carry me across the water way
into the other finger pier. I sail out on Main only.

If Tide pushes stern to st-brd, as Simian says, I'm a power boater. I've
been known to back out those 30 piers to the channel and depending on
traffic, I may clear the harbor before I rise Sail.

There is a very common, stupid, sight on race night of the Etchell fleet
with a crew sitting on the pointy end with a paddle working like hell to
get out into the channel to pass a tow rope to a sailboat under power to
get to the race course for their start time. It isn't one of those
romantic sights of sailing you hear about from S. SIMIAN.

OT

Martin Baxter October 20th 03 04:14 AM

Inherently beautiful.

The Captains Nemesis wrote:

wrote:

Now Loco, lets be fair here, some of us still sail with hank-ons, if
you've
got scallops you've got something wrong, (which Neal has in abundance),
get
the forestay tension and luff tension right and you won't have them.

Cheers
Marty

Bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahhaaaaaa....hahahahahah ahahahaaaaaa...hahhaaaaaa..hahahahahhahahahahhhaha hhhaaaaaaaaaaa!

Scintillating Oz, simply scintillating.

Cheers
Marty

Bwaaahahahahahahahaa!
Scallops.....something wrong....adjust forestay and luff tension and
you won't have them........Bwaaaahahahahahahahahaaaa!

Get used to being at the back of the fleet Marty!

Hey! I never said that hank-ons were faster or better, just that some of
us still had
'em. If you do have them, there's no reason that they should be flown
badly.

Now could you explain to me your penchant for Boobsterisms?

Cheers
Marty

Martin Baxter October 20th 03 04:17 AM

Inherently beautiful.

The Captains Nemesis wrote:

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:38:31 -0400, Martin Baxter
wrote:

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:

Best move I've ever done was not bothering to start the engine. Hank on the
headsail, raise the main and jib from the cockpit, free the mooring line,
trim and sail away. this can just as easily be done from a lee dock as well.

But Oz won't have them Mooron, and he's next to God, so we must be
doomed to
purgatory, or worse.

Cheers
Marty (who doesn't have scallops, 'cept for dinner)

Bwaaahahahahahaaaa!
You'd be home after dinner.

Is the only enjoyment in sailing to found in racing? Rather an elitist
attitude.

Cheers
Marty

The Carrolls October 20th 03 04:32 AM

Inherently beautiful.

only because we abused the coast guard as a free towing service back then.
The Captains Nemesis wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 21:05:18 -0300, "Capt. Mooron"
wrote:

Well put Oz....

You expect less??

this poster is representative of the level of boat
handling skills of the modern day sailor. Self professed "Experts" with
minimal experience and limited skills. Yet they'll post like their

opinion
has merit. To those of us who know better... it's embarrassing to have

them
comment on any sailing topic. They are clearly in the primary stage of
sailing development and should really learn their place.....

CM

Kids these days just have no respect.
Talents are developed over many years with constant reference to a
mentor of above average ability...today, they know it all from day
one. Comments like
"Stupid ****s! I never claimed to be an expert. And you two are
relics,
either living in isolation or accidents waiting to happen"
are all too common and insurance rates just keep rising just as Sea
Tow has now become a viable business, a business taht would never have
got off the ground even a short 20 years ago.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.
Who spends an hour tuning before every race not just when new sails go on

Capt. Mooron October 20th 03 04:55 AM

Inherently beautiful.

Ozzy is a spoiled Brat..... no wonder he has roller furling... he wears a
Greek Fisherman's Cap for chissakes!!

CM

Capt. Mooron October 20th 03 04:57 AM

Inherently beautiful.

"Martin Baxter" wrote in message

| Is the only enjoyment in sailing to found in racing? Rather an elitist
| attitude.

You know what they say... If you can't sail properly the only option is
racing.

CM

Thom Stewart October 20th 03 05:48 AM

Inherently beautiful.

Let's get real, Oz,

In harbors the world over. I mean everywhere, We all know where they put
Multi-Hulls. on the very end slips of finger piers or bouyed mooring.

Let's face facts; a Multi trying to manouver ( Over even making a simple
turn in tight quarters) is not a pretty thing. Even under power. Don't
pretend that you can sail into the end of a series of finger slips any
other way but straight in, Let alone work your way down a narrow water
way and into a slip without engine assist

OT

Jonathan Ganz October 20th 03 07:49 AM

Inherently beautiful.

It's really a matter of being willing to practice elsewhere
before trying it from your slip. If you do your due diligence,
you won't have a problem.

.. .

katysails October 20th 03 12:21 PM

Inherently beautiful.

boat was damaged from anyone trying that would be to take their boat =
away
from them by lawsuit. Negligence is the word I would recommend using. =
Then
sell one boat and buy more toys courtesy of the idiot.

JN,
You need to visit yacht clubs on race night....not only do they all sail =
in and out without their auxiliary, they also never crash into each =
other...

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

katysails October 20th 03 12:24 PM

Inherently beautiful.

I agree with Bob****,

Well, that about says it all.....

--=20
katysails
s/v Chanteuse
Kirie Elite 32
http://katysails.tripod.com

Wally October 20th 03 12:40 PM

Inherently beautiful.

JN wrote:

Stupid ****s! I never claimed to be an expert. And you two are
relics, either living in isolation or accidents waiting to happen.
Today's waters are much to crowded. Today's sailboats are much more
advanced, so why not make use of the fact that we now have auxiliary
power.

Why should they get with *your* program?

Today's population is much too lawsuit happy. I happen to
own three sailboats.

Are you a shark-shooting iguana smuggler, by any chance?

Two are smaller and my only auxiliary power is
a boat paddle because it's required by law in my state. My 30 footer
has the capability to do damage, and therefore I take all
precautions....

Are you saying that my 18 footer can't do damage?

How would you like to get on an airliner and learn the pilot does his
pre-flight checks from memory, not by checklist? Would you say they
are not experienced pilots.

What does pilots using checklists have to do with sailors sailing in close
quarters?

I agree with Bob****, ...

Keep taking the tablets...

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com

DSK October 20th 03 01:11 PM

Inherently beautiful.

In harbors the world over. I mean everywhere, We all know where they put
Multi-Hulls. on the very end slips of finger piers or bouyed mooring.

The Captains Nemesis wrote:
Interesting.
Here the cats tend to be deep into the marinas (other than casuals)
because they have the ability to turn in there own length under power

No doubt that cats under power with wide spaced twin engines are very
maneuverable under power.

Let's face facts; a Multi trying to manouver ( Over even making a simple
turn in tight quarters) is not a pretty thing. Even under power.

Skilled hands make light work under power. Juggling thrust can walk a
cat sideways and maneuver in ways that monos can only dream.

I'd like to see that. Theory suggests that with small props & rudders, prop
walk and kick aren't going to move it sideways much. In practice??

....Don't
pretend that you can sail into the end of a series of finger slips any
other way but straight in, Let alone work your way down a narrow water
way and into a slip without engine assist

Depends entirely on the direction of the wind.
I've sailed past a pen, stopped and reversed in underr sail on a few
occassions. It's a challenge, requires good crew work and capable
people to stop the boat when its in the slip because you can't pull
the sail on to stop the boat .

Heh, that's one benefit of racing type rigs with very short booms- you can
swing the main around even in the slip. Reverse under sail, no problem.

Years and years of sailing boats with no engine or very unreliable engines
taught me to sail into surprisingly tight places... and how to recognize when
it really can't be done. It does take capable crew work though, you only get
one chance to get a line on the windwardmost piling, and it it's missed,
there's hell to pay.

Sailing a racing dinghy up to a finger pier is not difficult, but for sailors
who learned in big boats, it seems a wizardly accomplishment. No wonder they
think you can't sail into a slip (much of the time)

I've been threatened with banning if I ever tried "that stunt" again
by a marina manager who saw damage claims on the horizon.
But it sure did impress the guys in the bar. Yes we had waited until
they were all tied up after thre race and were bought a round or two
for the effort.

My favorite was to sail just to windward of the hoist, stall the boat, douse
& roll sails smartly, and grab the lift hook while others are paddling
towards it or walking their way along the pier. In a couple of seasons,
everyone was doing it and it became a bigger melee than a crowded starting
line.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King