Hanoi Jane

Default President George W. Bush poll numbers back up

Let's ask the Navigator. He knows about animal, vegetable and mineral.

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
I don't know about that but I do know that fat consists of fat cells
and cells must have blood delivered to them in order for them to
live. That's what the capillaries are for.

S.Simon

"Myron Florin" wrote in message

nk.net...
You mean to say that fat layers have a capillary bed?

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
Stupid woman!

I'm back to doing 20-30 miles a day on my mountain bike.
I'm doing calisthenics and am on a strict low calorie diet.

In less than a week I've lost five pounds so I'm down to
183 lbs on my way to 170 where I need to be. On the
10th my blood pressure read 155/98. On the 11th my
blood pressure was 140/93. On the 12th it was 130/84.
On the 13th it was 133/86 . Today it was 126/84.

So, as you can see, I don't need some dumb female telling
me what to do. I'm capable of handling my own affairs without
the constant mothering some people like Bobsprit and Mooron
cannot live without thus they are attracted to busybodies such
as yourself.

I've got my Captain's license physical scheduled for the
7th of November at which time I will be a svelte 170 pounds
of muscle and gristle and my blood pressure will be in
the low normal range. Did you know that for every pound
of fat the heart has to push blood through 200 miles of
capillaries? My being 15 pounds overweight means the
old ticker is being burdened with 3,000 miles of extra
work. In your case the situation is probably the same or
worse. But, in your case you're probably happy being
a 'plumper'. That's the main difference between you and
I. You are dependent and interfering while I am independent
and I mind my own business.

S.Simon - doesn't take any crap from women no matter how
sexy - which is a rare thing for middle-aged women
anyhow.

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message

"Simple Simon" wrote:

President Bush's job approval rating, which had
slumped in several recent polls, has bounced back to
56 percent in a CNN-USA Today-Gallup poll
released Monday.

Better quit reading about politics, and get some exercise, or an
exorcist...

LP

Hanoi Jane

Fat tissue can be controlled by the blood vessels that feed it

Monday, August 5, 2002

In a study published in the August 6 issue of the Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences, researchers led by Maria Rupnick, MD, PhD,
cardiologist at Brigham and Women's Hospital and research associate in the
Surgical Research Laboratories at Children's Hospital Boston, have shown
that the growth of fat tissue can be prevented by controlling the blood
vessels that feed it.

Rupnick and her colleagues at Children's Hospital and the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology determined that fat tissue growth depends upon the
formation of new blood vessels (angiogenesis). Unlike most other organs that
do not change in size, fat tissue can grow and expand greatly, even in
adults. The authors surmised that, like tumors, fat tissue would require new
blood vessels to allow such growth to occur.

The investigators studied blood vessels in fat tissue using a strain of mice
that develops severe obesity. When the obese mice were given angiogenesis
inhibitors, drugs that prevent blood vessel growth, the blood vessels in the
fat tissue regressed. This promoted the reduction of fat cells and the
animals lost the excess weight. Blood vessels in other organs were not
affected. The mice maintained their lower weight while receiving the drugs
and regained the weight when the drugs were stopped. Normal mice, which have
far less fat tissue, lost relatively little weight with angiogenesis
inhibitors.

"The work is most consequential because it establishes that the principles
of angiogenesis-dependent tumor growth pioneered by Dr. Judah Folkman can be
extended to non-tumor tissues as well," said Rupnick. "However, I am often
asked: 'Could this science be used to develop clinical applications to fight
obesity?'"

Rupnick and her team did not set out to develop technology aimed at weight
loss. The scientists chose to study fat because it is an example of a
non-cancerous tissue that is especially able to grow. While the possibility
exists that angiogenesis inhibitors may someday be used to maintain or
reduce weight in humans, Rupnick stressed that it is premature to make this
claim.

"As a cardiologist, I appreciate that treating morbid obesity can
significantly lower a patient's risk for heart disease, high blood pressure,
diabetes and other conditions," Rupnick said. "However, it is important to
keep in mind that, at this point, the studies have been conducted only in
mice."

Still, doctors are hopeful that Rupnick's findings will lead to broader
applications for the drugs that control blood vessels, achieving medical
benefits beyond fighting cancer.

BWH is a 716-bed nonprofit teaching affiliate of Harvard Medical School and
a founding member of Partners HealthCare System, an integrated health care
delivery network. Internationally recognized as a leading academic health
care institution, BWH is committed to excellence in patient care, medical
research, and the training and education of health care professionals. The
hospital's preeminence in all aspects of clinical care is coupled with its
strength in medical research. A leading recipient of research grants from
the National Institutes of Health, BWH conducts internationally acclaimed
clinical, basic and epidemiological studies.

Children's Hospital Boston is the nation's premier pediatric medical center.
Founded in 1869 as a 20-bed hospital for children, today it is a 300-bed
comprehensive center for pediatric and adolescent health care grounded in
the values of excellence in patient care and sensitivity to the complex
needs and diversity of children and families. Children's Hospital is the
primary pediatric teaching hospital for Harvard Medical School, home to the
world's leading pediatric research enterprise, and the largest provider of
health care to the children of Massachusetts.

"Lady Pilot" wrote in message

"Simple Simon" wrote:

President Bush's job approval rating, which had
slumped in several recent polls, has bounced back to
56 percent in a CNN-USA Today-Gallup poll
released Monday.

Better quit reading about politics, and get some exercise, or an
exorcist...

LP

Lady Pilot

"Simple Simon" wrote:

Stupid woman!

Yeah, right.

I'm back to doing 20-30 miles a day on my mountain bike.

On your sailboat? Could you post a couple of pictures? LOL!

I'm doing calisthenics and am on a strict low calorie diet.

Well, if you would eat right and work out at the gym for an hour
everyday, you wouldn't have to be "cramming for your exam",
Professor.

LP

Bush Quotes jps General 71 November 4th 03 03:30 AM
Bush IQ!!!! Bobsprit ASA 25 September 23rd 03 10:54 PM
Bush Resume Bobsprit ASA 21 September 14th 03 11:22 PM
OT - Where is the lie? (especially for jcs) jps General 33 July 28th 03 12:56 AM