DSK

Default Extruded spars don't "Cut the Mustard"

The Captains Nemesis wrote:

Oz1...of the 3 twins.
Who spends an hour tuning before every race not just when new sails go on

That shouldn't be necessary unless you're changing tuning for conditions.
Aren't Etchells pretty well built? If you set up for heavy air, do you have
to slack off the rig when you put the boat away, or will it go slack on you
if the boat is left for a week?

Maybe I'm more spoiled than I realize, I hate boats & guitars that won't stay
in tune pretty much indefinitely....

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Donal

"DSK" wrote in message
The Captains Nemesis wrote:

Oz1...of the 3 twins.
Who spends an hour tuning before every race not just when new sails go

on

That shouldn't be necessary unless you're changing tuning for conditions.
Aren't Etchells pretty well built? If you set up for heavy air, do you

have
to slack off the rig when you put the boat away, or will it go slack on

you
if the boat is left for a week?

Maybe I'm more spoiled than I realize, I hate boats & guitars that won't

stay
in tune pretty much indefinitely....

You are either dissappointed a lot, or you must be tone deaf!

Regards

Donal

DSK

The Captains Nemesis wrote:

We change tune cap for every race pretty much, and adjust lowers
during the race as conditions change.

I'm not a big fan of that, but in some classes I guess it works well enough to be
worth the bother. The paradox I dislike is that to flatten the main you have to
loosen the lowers. One thing I have done is tighten the lowers for a chop, but it
was probably more of a psychological gain.

We drop the lowers off at the end of the day but caps stay as set till
the next week.

Doesn't that bend the mast while it sits parked? Other boats I've seen set up the
spi pole uphaul to the foredeck tightly, opposes the lowers. Not sure that's worth
the bother either.

One place it could make the biggest difference is if you could set the boat up for
power off the starting line, when you are likely to be trying to accelerate and/or
get in a pinching contest; losing a few inches here can mean losing many boats.

Maybe I'm more spoiled than I realize, I hate boats & guitars that won't stay
in tune pretty much indefinitely....

Yep, a pita!
Our boats are stiff enough to stay in tune.

That's good. I struggled with a few that were not, rebuilt two so that they were.
It still makes me wince to see some of the static loads people casually put on the
boats.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

DSK

Donal wrote:
You are either dissappointed a lot, or you must be tone deaf!

You should try out a good guitar some time. The only times I have to tune up
are when putting on new strings (which I confess I don't do often enough),
getting ready to jam with somebody whose instrument is slightly out of tune (or
is a cheapo that won't tune properly), or when it's been subjected to noticable
temperature change. Sitting in their cases in the closet, my guitars (not
cheapos but not really anything to brag about) don't go out of tune even
slightly.

BTW if you have a hard time perceiving whether two strings are in perfect pitch
with each other, learn the bell tones. The harmonics are more dramatic, easily
recognized even by the tone deaf.

DSK

Scott Vernon

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz huh?

"The Captains Nemesis" wrote

Init funny how whenever we start talking this stuff everyone but a
couple disappear.
:-)

The_navigator©

Mast pumping destroys drive.

Cheers MC

The Captains Nemesis wrote:

One thing I have done is tighten the lowers for a chop, but it
was probably more of a psychological gain.

The_navigator©

Is that why yours broke?

Cheers MC

Simple Simon wrote:

Take most any production boom made for end-boom sheeting
and fit it with mid-boom sheeting without reinforcing it and it
will also show some bend under load.

Thom Stewart

It mat not be the finest but for size I bet there isn't a heavier one. I
just hope it doen't pull the corners out of his new Main.

I wonder at what wind speed he has to use the topping lift to get
horizontal wrinkles in the main?

Also wonder it the topping lift put enough bend in the mast to pull the
belly out of the main he is trying to put draft in?

Wonder if he has trouble getting Sag in the forestay with the weight of
that "Finest Boom"?

I wonder if you would like to comment on these conditions Sidney, since
you seem to be so well voiced on this boom.

Would you also like to state what size "Sock" you are?

I'll wait to drink on that until your reply. I should be well dried
out by then:^)

Remember the comments about the Capt who is a Bully and an Ass. Thought
I'd mention I'm not to fond of the product produced by a Bull's Ass.

OT

Thom Stewart

Ok OZ,

Just so DSK doesn't get lonely on the 'net, the question that comes to
my mind, is what happens the forestay and backstay tension? When you
have enough tension on the backstay and forestay to bend your boat like
a Banana, how in the world do you and the "KING" change sail shape to
match changing race conditions?

OT