BoatBanter.com

-   -   The Magic Boat! (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/17250-magic-boat.html)

Capt. Mooron September 9th 03 09:29 PM

The Magic Boat!

I believe a Bob will buy a rather standard and unassuming, yet sound vessel.
It will once again blend into the background of other sailboats at his
marina.... so much so as to make it indistinguishable even by verbal
description from the lounge over-looking the docks.

I suggest that since Bob enjoys attention almost as well as planning
regarding a boat purchase... we could offer some creative suggestions as to
how he might make his new boat uniquely identifiable. My initial
recommendation would be to chrome plate the decks and copper plate the hull.
Metallica or Heavy Metal would be an appropriate name.

CM

Simple Simon September 9th 03 09:53 PM

The Magic Boat!

My cockpit measures . . .

Five feet long, by two feet wide by 16 inches deep.

Let's figure the total area that can flood with water in
boarding sea conditions. Five times two is ten times 1.5
(rounding up a couple inches) equals fifteen cubic feet.

A cubic foot of water weighs 52 pounds, fifteen times
52 equals 780 pounds. That's a lot of weight - about
the same as four men in the cockpit. It won't swamp
or sink the boat but it will put the transom down about
four inches.

Now you do some measuring and calculate the volume
of water that fancy pants C&C 34 XL can hold. I bet
it's an order of magnitude of mine times at least five because
in its case you've got to figure the volume including the
coamings because it doesn't have a cut out in the transom
like my fine, seaworthy Coronado has. Any boarding wave
will quickly pour out the "Cut the Mustard's" transom while
a crummy C&C 34 XL cockpit will fill to the top of the
coamings and the water will stay there until it all can drain
from what are probably very inadequate scuppers prone to
becoming plugged up. Before it can even think of draining
all the way here comes yet another wave to fill it up to the
top again. Bwahahahahaah!

If my fine yacht can hold 800 pounds of water in her
cockpit they your precious 34XL can probably hold
4000 pounds - enough to sink the stern and keep it
sunk. Think again about your cockpit parties at the
dock. Are they worth it when your "perfect" boat isn't
even seaworthy?

S.Simon - knows all facets of sailing and dangers thereof.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message ...
Most of us sail coastal waters where a tiny blue water style cockpit is
pointless. Capt. neal's cockpit is 7 feet long.

RB

Simple Simon September 9th 03 09:55 PM

The Magic Boat!

What weight of water can your cockpit hold when full?

S.Simon

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message ...
snip gratuitous Booby baiting

Capt. Mooron September 9th 03 10:17 PM

The Magic Boat!

My cockpit drains in 68 seconds.... from completely full to the coamings to
empty. Aprox. 5 gallons drained/leaked into the bilge. Done in fresh water
with 2 divers and a gas pump. Double 2" hoses and a 6 inch head.

Any of you engineers care to calc the volume of my cockpit via that claim?
;-)

CM

Capt. Mooron September 9th 03 10:26 PM

The Magic Boat!

Approximate dimensions are 7 feet long by 5 ft wide with a foot and a half
wide cockpit seats running full length. Depth from cockpit seats to sole is
about 24 inches and add another 8 inches to the coamings. Add in a shelf at
the companionway that is 10 inches wide, spans the seats and forms the fore
end of the cockpit footwell.

It drains dry in 68 seconds. Double 2" hoses and a 6" head to the W/L. A
full cockpit of water displaces the stern to 2 inches above the W/L...

Can you figure out the volume?

Simple Simon September 9th 03 10:32 PM

The Magic Boat!

I'm not engineer enough to calculate the volume based on the
information you gave but I'm very intuitive about such things
so I'll venture a guess. From your description, though it's not
the best, I guess that you had a pump fill up your cockpit
with fresh water? Then you let it drain to see how long it
would take? Double two-inch hoses indicate the scupper
system but the six-inch head has me puzzled so I'm going to
assume six inches from the sole of the cockpit to the LWL
but one would need the depth of your cockpit because true
head would start at the height of your coamings above LWL
to and diminish to six inches above LWL as the water level
degreased. If draining occurs in 68 seconds you have a
seaworthy system.

My guess 64 cubic feet of volume in your cockpit.

S.Simon - another Amazing Randi

Simple Simon September 9th 03 10:42 PM

The Magic Boat!

Not enough information to caculate volume. One would
need to know the foot well dimensions so they could
be added to the coaming/cockpit dimensions to the top
of the footwell which are 52 cubic feet. Your cockpit is much
bigger than I thought and I'd be very surprised if two two-inch
drains could empty the lot in 68 seconds. It would take more
like four minutes.

DSK September 9th 03 10:56 PM

The Magic Boat!

"Bobsprit" wrote
| Boats with a big cockpit can't go to sea!!! Shocking!

"Capt. Mooron" wrote:
Had you seen the pics taken by my buddy of his trip across the Atlantic you
might weigh that reply differently. Green water to over the cockpit seats
every 15 minutes in a 50 knot gale as waves crashed over and into his boat.
It is a 29 Bayfield. He highly reccomends a watertight seal and plexiglass
hatch. The same storm devastated a 46 foot French Ketch.... near the Azores.

The issue is not one of cockpit size, but reserve bouyancy. A big cockpit with
an open transom, on a hull with lots of reserve bouyancy aft, will be safer than
a small cockpit with less reserve bouyancy and small drains.

Get down to the basics, don't follow old wives tales.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Simple Simon September 9th 03 11:05 PM

The Magic Boat!

Coming from a trawler sailor this doesn't mean a whole lot.

Trawlers regularly flood their cockpits into the accommodation
and sink by the stern. Unsafe in seaway to be sure.

S.Simon

Lady Pilot September 9th 03 11:10 PM

The Magic Boat!

"Simple Simon" wrote:
My cockpit measures . . .

Excuse me, I believe it's called a "box office" now... ;-)

LP