BoatBanter.com

-   -   The Bent Boom (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/17231-bent-boom.html)

Simple Simon September 8th 03 09:51 PM

The Bent Boom

Geez Thom, gimme enough credit to know a shelf when I see one.

I've only been sailing for more years than most of these idiots have
birthdays.

S.Simon - drinking to that on his sixth rum and Chek cola.
Happy Birthday, whooeeee! Go Dolphins! (They suck!)

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message ...
Cripes Simple,

I just sent a reply to Nutsy explaining that the bend on a shelf main
sets only on tack and clew. The shelve doesn't effect the sail trim. I
thought you knew this!!

I advised Nutsy to enlarge his brain to match his big mouth. Maybe you
better think about it.

If the downward pressure on the shelf would flatten the sail then it
wouldn't be a shelf. It is of material to fill the void but not effect
the sail trim. That is why it got its' name. When the foot gets a belly
in it the light, stretchy material looks like a shelf.

You better go back and re-think your discussion with Loco. Maybe your
sails don't have a shelf?

Ole Thom

Bobsprit September 8th 03 10:21 PM

The Bent Boom

Hey, Booby what you don't seem to understand is at the end
of my boom there's a stainless steel tang to which I can attach
a block and tackle so I can easily fit end-boom sheeting in heavy
weather.

I wasn't aware that you had two travelers for this purpose!
Wow!
Meanwhile....my boom doesn't snap in half in a breeze! Have you taken measures
to protect the mast? Was it made by the same poor company that cast the boom?

RB

Bobsprit September 8th 03 10:39 PM

The Bent Boom

Well I'm going to have to speak up for the fine Captn here. If he has
ordered sails that are loose footed it does not matter the least whetther
the boom is bent or not.

Say what????

Good grief.

RB

Bobsprit September 8th 03 10:42 PM

The Bent Boom

I found the correct sized so I had to hammer the pipes into
the boom and hammer the end of the boom onto the pipes
even after having coated all surfaces with silicone rubber.

Then he injected it with liquid Kryptonite, which hardened to 123562.45 tougher
than Ostrich leather. The boom now weighs 1.6 tons.

RB

Bobsprit September 8th 03 10:42 PM

The Bent Boom

but stronger than stock boom.

My goodness me!

Wholy knipperbats!

RB

Simple Simon September 8th 03 10:46 PM

The Bent Boom

Come to think of it you're right! (for the very first time.)

All a bent boom does is shorten the length of the foot.
You just have to outhaul it a little more to compensate.

You don't know **** about politics but you do know boats.

S.Simon

"The Captains Master" wrote in message ...
On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 16:51:34 -0400, "Simple Simon"
wrote:

Geez Thom, gimme enough credit to know a shelf when I see one.

I've only been sailing for more years than most of these idiots have
birthdays.

S.Simon - drinking to that on his sixth rum and Chek cola.
Happy Birthday, whooeeee! Go Dolphins! (They suck!)

So maybe you could explain how a shelf footed main will be flattened
as the boom bends.
Methinks it would get deeper as the clew moves closer to the tack!

Yo do know what a shelf foot is...don't you?

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Simple Simon September 8th 03 10:50 PM

The Bent Boom

One doesn't need another traveler. One needs only a place to
fit the block and tackle on either quarter. In the case of my
fine yacht I use the supporting loop on the aft life-line stanchions.

S.Simon - a sailor who knows and utilizes alternative ways and
means.

Simple Simon September 9th 03 12:32 AM

The Bent Boom

You should know about handling extreme loads.

Your belt has no equal!

S.Simon - slim and fit.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message ...
In the case of my
fine yacht I use the supporting loop on the aft life-line stanchions.

Yeah, with the boom snapping, I'm sure the stanchions can handle the load!

Bwahahahahahha!

RB

Jonathan Ganz September 9th 03 12:32 AM

The Bent Boom

It was a mast, not a boom, and it happened to one of my
students, not I.

"NH_/)_" wrote in message
m...

How does one properly set the sails with boom being bent
or does it matter--after hearing what happened to Ganz, that's a scary
thought.

NH_/)_

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Wouldn't a good sailor replace a bent, and probably weakened spar before
ordering a new set of sails?

Here's a pic showing the CLEARLY damaged boom of Capt. Neal's worn out

Coronado
27.

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/files/Closehaul2.jpg

It's clearly compromised. Also clearly bent in this photo...

http://www.homestead.com/captneal/files/Reaching.jpg

What a disaster. What a shame. What an eyesore! Why not add a new ugly

colored
set of cushions to that boat to top it off? Oh...you already did.

Capt RB

Simple Simon September 9th 03 12:41 AM

The Bent Boom

Goes to show you can't rely on wood.