Wally

Default Bobsprit

CANDChelp wrote:
No battery charger amongst the vertiable festoonery of shipboard
electronica.

I got one of those shake-it-and-use-it flashlights!

Excellent! Can you 'install' it in your GPS?

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com

CANDChelp

My inverter (for garage power) has two crocodile clips. It was very easy to
'install'.

Mine was a aboard the boat, still in it's box and will be switched into the
boat's shore power system. It has a flush cutout and a dedicated double socket,
but they will be hidden. A flip of the switch will have the inverter replace
the shore power, but only enough to run a small TV or charge the laptop.

RB
Bobsprit

But you yourself admitted that leaving with weak batteries was a failing, as
was not purchasing fresh ones on reaching land. These aren't my criticisms,
but yours.

The failing was nothing more than an anoyance...didn't effect the trip at all.

RB
Wally

Bobsprit wrote:
But you yourself admitted that leaving with weak batteries was a
failing, as was not purchasing fresh ones on reaching land. These
aren't my criticisms, but yours.

The failing was nothing more than an anoyance...didn't effect the
trip at all.

I didn't say that it affected the trip. But with a newbie navigator, I would
have thought that some sort of backup that was better than 'failing
batteries' would have been prudent. I seem to recall that you thought that
as well. Can you appreciate that there's a difference between 'preparation'
and 'hindsight'?

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Wally

CANDChelp wrote:
My inverter (for garage power) has two crocodile clips. It was very
easy to 'install'.

Mine was a aboard the boat, still in it's box and will be switched
into the boat's shore power system. It has a flush cutout and a
dedicated double socket, but they will be hidden. A flip of the
switch will have the inverter replace the shore power, ...

Care to elucidate on the wiring for this? My garage setup has no mains
power, so it's just a battery in a box with the inverter strapped on top. (I
have two batteries and swap them around between garage and house, charging
the unused one at home.) My boat doesn't have any power at present, although
I'll probably want to add that somewhere down the line. Since the marina has
shore power, it would be good to have an idea of how things connect up.

... but only
enough to run a small TV or charge the laptop.

How about some NiMhs and a charger for the h/h GPS? Or do you reckon that TV
and (secondary?) DVD player should take precedence?

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Bobsprit

I didn't say that it affected the trip. But with a newbie navigator, I would
have thought that some sort of backup that was better than 'failing
batteries' would have been prudent.

We had a backup. They're called "paper charts." They don't need batteries, nor
does the 3 compasses we carry.
In any case we were able to use the GPS for the whole trip.

RB
Bobsprit

Can you appreciate that there's a difference between 'preparation'
and 'hindsight'?

I bought the batteries. Bagged them. They fell out in the car somehow. At Port
Jeff we simply both forgot. Still doesn't mean much as the unit was operational
for the trip.

RB
Jeff Morris

Most sailors have taken bottom at some time, but whacking a rock is another thing
entirely. That the rock is charted, well marked, a mile from your slip, and your crew
warned you about it, makes it pretty pathetic.

The fact that you keep comparing this to the more mundane scraping of soft mud means that
you just don't get it. I think this gives us a good idea of your real life navigational
skills.

jeff - sailed for 45 years and never whacked a rock!

CANDChelp wrote:
Rock.

Flat batteries.

Failure to buy new batteries on reaching land.

Plenty of sailors have run aground, most in fact. Forgetting
something at home that doesn't effect the voyage one bit is hardly a
major failing.
We're cruising to Norwalk this weekend. Look for the pics!

RB

Capt. Mooron

"Wally" wrote in message

Can you appreciate that there's a difference between 'preparation'
| and 'hindsight'?

Let's face it... Bob thrives on hind sight only... and uses the vantage
point to alter his statements to suit his latest defensive stance. Odd how
he points at everyone and accuses them of being Liars..... and amusing how
he claims victory on such a lack of credibility.

CM

Bobsprit

Where will you be staying? Holiday Inn? Motel 6? The visitors dock
will not be available to you this weekend.

Suggestions? Is the boat show in town?

RB

Bobsprit exposed Donal ASA 58 September 9th 03 02:33 PM
Bobsprit kills hundreds Gilligan ASA 2 August 13th 03 11:22 PM
Bobsprit, The King Bobsprit ASA 2 August 1st 03 10:59 PM
Bobsprit may be a troll . . . Simple Simon ASA 6 July 31st 03 05:15 AM
Bobsprit found washed up on beach dead Simple Simon ASA 12 July 13th 03 05:59 PM