CANDChelp

Default Good Lord!

FWIW, I think that radar and GPS are easier to learn, and should therefore
be learned first

OK, wally. Do as you please. I think Suzanne is doing it correctly, leaving the
electronic crutches for when she has an instinctive grasp of real nav skills.

RB
Wally

CANDChelp wrote:

OK, wally. Do as you please. I think Suzanne is doing it correctly,
leaving the electronic crutches for when she has an instinctive grasp
of real nav skills.

Until then, you are sailing with navigational resources that are, at best,
'semi-skilled'? No wonder you guys spend your time banging into rocks!

As for doing as I please, it is my pleasure to learn the traditional skills.
I do have a hand-held GPS with which I am familiar, but no radar, no fancy
chart-plotter or any of the 'electronic crutches' that you admit your boat
is festooned with. In fact, given that I already had the GPS, since taking
up sailing, my only investment in navigational equipment has been the
traditional tools and the means of teaching myself to use them.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com

CANDChelp

Until then, you are sailing with navigational resources that are, at best,
'semi-skilled'?

And doing quite well, as you can see! When you learn to sail we'll be anxious
to here where you go!

RB
Wally

CANDChelp wrote:
Until then, you are sailing with navigational resources that are, at
best, 'semi-skilled'?

And doing quite well, as you can see! When you learn to sail we'll be
anxious to here where you go!

I learned the basics of sailing in dinghies last year. I certainly don't
profess to be any sort of expert. I don't think I'll be doing any
transatlantic stuff in my little 18-footer - visiting the islands and
harbours in my local water is, I think, more appropriate to my vessel and
experience at the moment.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

CANDChelp

I learned the basics of sailing in dinghies last year. I certainly don't
profess to be any sort of expert.

This admission puts you well and above the "pretend" sailors here.
Remember...you have only their words.
Now...see with your own eyes..a boat that is actually sailed!
http://hometown.aol.com/bobsprit/index.html

RB

CANDChelp

but no radar, no fancy
chart-plotter or any of the 'electronic crutches' that you admit your boat
is festooned with.

I'm sorry. But you really don't need them. I was just lucky in that my boat had
them aboard when I bought her.
When you move up to a better boat you'll find better tools aboard in all
likelyness.
We are moving up to a C&C 36 (called the 34+) and that boat will probably have
tons of toys. We'll still use our paper charts.

RB
Wally

CANDChelp wrote:
but no radar, no fancy
chart-plotter or any of the 'electronic crutches' that you admit your
boat
is festooned with.

I'm sorry. But you really don't need them.

I agree. Their lack was good enough for Captain Smollet.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Jeff Morris

I thought you bought your chart plotter a few months ago.

CANDChelp wrote:
but no radar, no fancy
chart-plotter or any of the 'electronic crutches' that you admit your
boat
is festooned with.

I'm sorry. But you really don't need them. I was just lucky in that
my boat had them aboard when I bought her.
When you move up to a better boat you'll find better tools aboard in
all likelyness.
We are moving up to a C&C 36 (called the 34+) and that boat will
probably have tons of toys. We'll still use our paper charts.

RB

Anyone know a good online sailmaker? Dimitri Rotow Cruising 17 October 16th 12 01:54 PM
LORD NELSON 41 QUESTION [email protected] Cruising 4 May 12th 04 11:45 AM
O.T. Some Good Points RGrew176 General 1 January 10th 04 08:04 AM
Perkins 4-108, How good? Steve Cruising 10 September 16th 03 01:33 PM