Wally

Default Stanchion base backing plates

Capt. Mooron wrote:
Old rule of painting... never apply a lacquer paint over an oil
paint. The opposite is just fine.

Aha! I'm aware of that (being a painter of pictures), but have no real idea
of what's in the boat paints.

If the thinner will thin both of
the types of paint... don't prep with thinner... use alcohol.

I was thinking that the same stuff might be in the primer, which might lead
to the primer itself weakening the substrate. Still, the belt sander got the
old paint off in very short order.

Generally if the antifoul is ablative it must go over the paint.

It's described as a hard, self-polishing antifoul (which, I guess, means
that it ablates slowly). Aye, methinks I'll go for antifoul over the paint.
Thanks for the advice.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com