Jonathan Ganz

Default demasting?

Has anyone experienced this? I'd especially be interested to hear
what happened, how you reacted, and how you might have
prevented it from happening.

Also, if someone knows of a way to prevent the following from
happening, besides using regular maintenance, inspection, and
replacement, I'd like to hear it.

Fortunately, no one was hurt, and the boat wasn't damaged other
than the obvious.

The skipper, S... is an experienced sailor and a former student.
The only thing I can really think to criticize him for would be not
having a backup handheld VHF.

"Skipper: S... (male)

Crew: L... (female), N.... (male), R.... (female)

Departed Clipper Harbor ~12:00 noon and motored direct to Ayala Cove.
Finding no open dock space, we raised sails and hove to behind Pt. Campbell
for lunch. ~2:00 we resumed sailing off Bluff Pt. SE past Angel Is., then
S towards Alcatraz Is. By 3:00 we were beating SW towards the Gate into a
~15-20 kt. wind, a ~3 kt. flood, and medium chop.

We had completed 3 tacks and were proceeding with R... at the tiller, S...
in the companionway, and N... and L... in the cabin, when there was a loud
cracking sound, followed immediately by a loud bang on the cabin roof. I
could see that R... was disturbed and surprised; by the time I turned around
to look forward over the cabin top, the mast and both sails were already in
the water over the starboard rail. No one was hurt. I asked R... to go
below while I looked around.

Immediate damage assessment:

The mast was snapped off completely at the base, with only the twisted mast
step and a broken bit of wire sticking up from the cabin top. The mast was
hanging down into the water with all rigging apparently intact: mainsail
and storm jib. One of the starboard stanchions was poking through the foot
of the mainsail, catching the boom and keeping the rigging from sliding over
the side. The base of the mast was sticking up over the cabin top and
sawing back and forth as the hull rolled with the chop, but it didn't appear
to be going anywhere. We had been on a port tack (heading towards Angel
Is.) at the time of the collapse, so the rigging had gone over the starboard
side. Acting as a sea anchor in the face of the wind and current, we then
swung around with the rigging to the SW and the bow to the SE. This put us
across the chop, and the boat was rolling strongly. A 360° look showed no
nearby traffic and lots of sea room.

Cause:

The cause of the collapse was immediately apparent - the stern-most of the
three bolts that hold the port stays was sticking up out of the deck with
its top split open. All other shrouds and stays were still attached.

Response:

With no imminent threat, we all caught our breath in the cabin, and I called
pan pan pan to the Coast Guard a few times. It took several minutes of
fooling around with the radio before we remembered the antenna was mounted
on top of the mast. We did not have a back-up handheld radio. Fortunately,
within minutes the powerboat Rubicon (looked like a father and a teenage
boy) came by to see how we were, and they radioed the Coast Guard for us,
then took up station-keeping nearby. With the wind and engine noise we were
barely able to communicate.

The Coast Guard Auxilliary vessel Silver Charm showed up in about 10-15
minutes. After confirming that there was no medical or other emergency,
they circled us and then came in close enough to communicate with us through
a megaphone. I requested assistance getting the rigging up on deck with the
idea of salvaging it. The Coast Guard indicated it would be too difficult
to carry in the chop and to dock, and asked us instead to cut it loose. As
the mast was by now hanging almost vertically down off the side, I decided
to comply. We had a cable cutter in the toolbox in the cabin that I used to
cut the shrouds and stays, working clockwise from the port (downwind)
shrouds. In the process I also undid the stop knot in the end of the vang
sheet so I could pull it free of the cabin top, and I undid the main sheet
and pulled it free of the boom tackle as the rigging disappeared into the
deep.

Once I was sure that we were clear of all lines, I started the motor and we
headed back to Clipper Harbor, escorted by the Silver Charm. We made it
back to Richardson Bay without further incident, though with all the
bouncing and rolling and wind, we were soaked to the skin by the time we
docked. The Silver Charm crew also tied up, and they came over to talk with
us and give us the Coast Guard contact information."

Peter Wiley

The bolts pulled through the deck? That's what I read. If true, either
the deck is structurally inadequate due to rot, deterioration etc or
the backing plates/reinforcement was inadequate from the start.

Can't see much of a solution unless people want to second-guess the
designers WRT structural adequacy and then where do you stop?

A keel stepped mast and chainplates on the hull is a stronger rig, but
the first interferes with internal accommodation space and the second
reduces pointing ability so - you pays yer money and yer takes the
consequences.

PDW

In article , Jonathan Ganz
wrote:

[...]

Jonathan Ganz

Yep... dismasting... my typo. Oh well.

"The Captains Master" wrote in message
news

First its a dismasting where I come from.

As I said, that's what I would fault him for.

No handheld is a blunder at todays prices.

I don't think they sat in the cabin. My impression was that he
got the helmsman out of harms way until he could assess the
situation.

You've got a good point about cutting it loose immediately,
however. I guess it felt somewhat stable but it would be hard
to tell. I'll pass along the insight.

Getting a mast of 30' back onboard is almost impossible and dangerous.
Getting clear of it is really important ASAP. Sitting in the cabin is
just not on!
In deep water, cut it loose ASAP, you'll note that the stick was
vertical not long after it went over the side, it could easily have
slipped down a little and started punching holes in the hull.
In shallow, you might think of a line and bouy tied to it for later
recovery, usually not worth the effort as most sticks when the fall
break in a few places as they come down and destroy the sails in the
process.

Pretty sure this happened.

Make absolutely positively that there are no trailing lines before you
put the motor in gear. They are easily overlooked in the confusion and
may even be under the boat as it drifted onto them.

I've salvaged brand new virtually undamaged sails from a 35' mast in
reasonably calm waters with only a crushed finger to show for it. The
mast was dumped. I don't think I'd try it again.

As far as I could tell from the last time I had the boat out, the rigging
was right on.

Prevention is the rule but you can't guarantee even that will work.
One of the biggest causes of failed mast and rigging in cruisers is
slack rigging. It's gotta be tight to stop the impact loads in chop.
They nearly always fall down in chop.

Oz1...of the 3 twins.

Jonathan Ganz

That's what I was thinking, but I was afraid to voice it. If that's
the case, that the deck is having problems, it could take a lot
longer to get it fixed. Fortunately, we have insurance for just
this sort of thing.

"Peter Wiley" wrote in message
. ..
The bolts pulled through the deck? That's what I read. If true, either
the deck is structurally inadequate due to rot, deterioration etc or
the backing plates/reinforcement was inadequate from the start.

Can't see much of a solution unless people want to second-guess the
designers WRT structural adequacy and then where do you stop?

I think if it was done right, it wouldn't be too bad on the cabin/people.
Of course, this was a donated boat from years ago. Maybe we can
claim the lines fouled the prop and did damage to the A4. :-)

wrote:

[...]

SAIL LOCO

I've stated many times on here that the best place on a sailboat for the VHF
antenna is the stern rail.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Jonathan Ganz

Default dismasting?

I'm not convinced about that even with this disaster.

I don't believe you can get the range and it's another
thing to snag on something. I could perhaps see having
a spare that does that, but I don't like the idea of having
one there all the time.

"SAIL LOCO" wrote in message
I've stated many times on here that the best place on a sailboat for the

VHF
antenna is the stern rail.
S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster"
Trains are a winter sport

Simple Simon

I disagree! Your three scenarios all could have been and
should have been avoided with proper inspection and
maintenance.

One has to wonder when was the last time you or Ganz
bothered inspecting the mast, rigging, chainplates, etc.?

You may have noticed I've installed folding mast steps on
my fine vessel. I can and do inspect spreaders, wire, fittings,
etc. on a regular basis because I've made it an easy thing to
do. I have to wonder why you and Ganz haven't done
the same. Sticking one's head in the sand and not doing
anything to inspect and avoid is begging for trouble.

A stitch in time saves nine . . .
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure . .

You both know all the old sayings. Try to live by
them and your sailing will be far safer and more
enjoyable.

S.Simon - a Captain who's serious about sailing

"matt colie" wrote in message ...
Jonathan,

without getting anyone hurt or extending damage past the rigging (the
hull integrity was not compromised).

Congratulations - That is about as good as you can expect.

Assuming you have the boat insured, you have already cleared the
deductable. In SF Bay, you do not need to try to collect enough to
build a jury rig. So, cut it all loose was your best option.

Other issues:
-Good thing you were carrying a cutter.
-Stern rail antenna (I don't have a stern rail [pushpit] at all), cost
you a lot of usable range, tend to be damage prone from borders and
power boats but not from lightning (toss up).
-Consider carrying both a handheld as backup, and a temporary antenna
kit if you are going out of the bay. A handheld is 5 watts, the
installed unit is 25 and that might be needed at sea. Even with the
backup antenna, if you are power down (like from a lightning strike) the
handheld could be valuable.

We were not so lucky with one, but the injury was handled by some while
the rig was handled by the rest. An instant collection of three beer
stories. One was a spreader failure and we lost the Al mast from the
crosstrees up, another was an older wood spar that the glue failed and
so the mast exploded and the last was a fatigued chainplate that let a
lower go when we slammed off a wave so the spar buckled and the rig came
down on the boat. All the above were thought by all to be well-found
boats and only the wood gave any indication of impending failure and
that was about thirty seconds (but we couldn't get the sails cleared
that fast). This is a drill that has to be considered, but is not easy
to practice.

As I said above, you did just fine IMHO.

Matt Colie A.Sloop "Bonne Ide'e" S2-7.9 #1
Lifelong Waterman, Licensed Mariner and Perpetual Sailor

Jonathan Ganz wrote:

[...]

Horvath

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 00:02:20 -0700, "Jonathan Ganz"
wrote this crap:

Yep... dismasting... my typo. Oh well.

Hard to type with one hand?

Ave Imperator Bush!
Bush Was Right! Four More Years!

Thom Stewart

Loco,

The best plce for vhf antenna is still the mast BUT I agree about the
stern rail for mounting the spare (which should be mounted) and ready
for the switch ove

Ole Thomr