Simple Simon

Default Stump the motor boat Captains

I've questions that will stump the Captains (I hope)

You are sailing in a heavy fog and you hear ahead of you
one prolonged blast followed by one short blast.

What is the vessel ahead of you doing?
What kind of vessel is it?
What should you do?

S.Simon - a Captain who knows the COLREGS like the
back of his hand.

Simple Simon

Inland

"otnmbrd" wrote in message ink.net...
International or Inland?

otn

Simple Simon wrote:
I've questions that will stump the Captains (I hope)

You are sailing in a heavy fog and you hear ahead of you
one prolonged blast followed by one short blast.

What is the vessel ahead of you doing?
What kind of vessel is it?
What should you do?

S.Simon - a Captain who knows the COLREGS like the
back of his hand.

Wally

Simple Simon wrote:
I've questions that will stump the Captains (I hope)

You are sailing in a heavy fog and you hear ahead of you
one prolonged blast followed by one short blast.

If the two blasts are clearly one signal...

What is the vessel ahead of you doing?

Unknown, other than signalling its existence.

What kind of vessel is it?

One of less than 12m in length.

What should you do?

Attempt to determine the direction of the signal. If you are underway, slow
down to the minimum speed which will still allow steerageway and proceed
with caution. Give the signal appropriate to your vessel and its current
status. Listen for a possible second signal from the other vessel, with a
view to determining whether it is stationary or underway, and what course it
might be following. Attempt to hail them with a view to seeking
clarification.

If there is a long delay between the two blasts, such that they appear to be
two signals...

What is the vessel ahead of you doing?

Turning to starboard.

What kind of vessel is it?

Power.

What should you do?

Attempt to determine the direction of the signal. If you are underway, slow
down to the minimum speed which will still allow steerageway and proceed
with caution. Give the signal appropriate to your vessel and its current
status. Listen for a possible second signal from the other vessel, with a
view to determining what course it might be following. Attempt to hail them
with a view to seeking clarification.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com

Simple Simon

"Wally" wrote in message ...
Simple Simon wrote:
I've questions that will stump the Captains (I hope)

You are sailing in a heavy fog and you hear ahead of you
one prolonged blast followed by one short blast.

If the two blasts are clearly one signal...

What is the vessel ahead of you doing?

Unknown, other than signalling its existence.

Wrong, it's a valid signal.

What kind of vessel is it?

One of less than 12m in length.

Better guess again.

What should you do?

Attempt to determine the direction of the signal. If you are underway, slow
down to the minimum speed which will still allow steerageway and proceed
with caution. Give the signal appropriate to your vessel and its current
status. Listen for a possible second signal from the other vessel, with a
view to determining whether it is stationary or underway, and what course it
might be following. Attempt to hail them with a view to seeking
clarification.

Close but no banana.

If there is a long delay between the two blasts, such that they appear to be
two signals...

There's no delay. It's one signal.

What is the vessel ahead of you doing?

Turning to starboard.

Wrong!

What kind of vessel is it?

Power.

Wrong!

What should you do?

Attempt to determine the direction of the signal. If you are underway, slow
down to the minimum speed which will still allow steerageway and proceed
with caution. Give the signal appropriate to your vessel and its current
status. Listen for a possible second signal from the other vessel, with a
view to determining what course it might be following. Attempt to hail them
with a view to seeking clarification.

Close but no banana!

S.Simon - a Captain who knows the COLREGS like the back of his hand

Wally

Simple Simon wrote:

Wrong, it's a valid signal.

And I since gather that it's an inland signal...

What is the vessel ahead of you doing?

Approaching a drawbridge.

What kind of vessel is it?

One which is too high and/or wide to fit through the closed bridge, in spite
of "any nonstructural vessel appurtenance which is not essential to
navigation or which is easily lowered".

What should you do?

Listen for an acknowledgment signal from the bridge and/or monitor the
appropriate VHF channels, if known, with a view to establishing whether the
bridge is open-on-demand (and thus about to start opening), or opens only at
specific times. Until activity at the bridge is clarified, I would be
tempted to stop, or perhaps slow down to minimum speed if I know I'm a safe
distance from the bridge and the other vessel. Once communication between
the bridge and the other vessel has been concluded, sound the signal
appropriate to my vessel and its status. If I also wish to use the bridge,
signal the bridge with one prolonged blast and one short blast, and/or hail
on the VHF.

--
Wally
www.makearatherlonglinkthattakesyounowhere.com
Things are always clearer in the cold, post-upload light.

Simple Simon

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message ...
Waiting for a drawbridge to open?

Ding, ding, ding. Correct!

And you don't know what kind of vessel it is.

And you should slow down and call the bridge
tender on Channel 12 to request he hold the opening
for you too.

That was one question Booby surely would NEVER
have gotten yet he makes fun of you. Bwahahahah!

Also, I couldn't help but notice the professional motor
boat captains didn't have a clue.

S.Simon - a Captain who is as handsome as he is brilliant

"Simple Simon" wrote in message
I've questions that will stump the Captains (I hope)

You are sailing in a heavy fog and you hear ahead of you
one prolonged blast followed by one short blast.

What is the vessel ahead of you doing?
What kind of vessel is it?
What should you do?

S.Simon - a Captain who knows the COLREGS like the
back of his hand.

Wally

Simple Simon wrote:
typo - call the bridge tender of 13