BoatBanter.com

-   -   Congratulations, Bob. (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/17070-congratulations-bob.html)

skitch August 27th 03 11:01 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Way to go, Boobs, on a good trip and open attitude. Despite what
others may hope for, every sailor will develop skills by getting out
there and doing it. There appear to have been some ommissions in
planning and safety precautions, but it looks like you made it there
and back in one piece and put to shame the doubters. Don't let the
envious buggers get to you. It was a good trip. Now get on out to
Gardiners Bay for some great gunkholing and let me know when you are
going.

Donal August 27th 03 11:15 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

"skitch" wrote in message
m...
Way to go, Boobs, on a good trip and open attitude. Despite what
others may hope for, every sailor will develop skills by getting out
there and doing it. There appear to have been some ommissions in
planning and safety precautions, but it looks like you made it there
and back in one piece and put to shame the doubters. Don't let the
envious buggers get to you. It was a good trip. Now get on out to
Gardiners Bay for some great gunkholing and let me know when you are
going.

There's one born every minute!

Regards

Donal

skitch August 28th 03 07:13 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

(Bobsprit) wrote in message
About how far a sail are you from me, Skitch? You spoke about trouble on the
return leg, if I headed over there, I think.

RB

Now you are vindicating Mooron. Look on a chart - it is the end of
Long Island. The return trip issues relate only to the SW prevailing
winds, which have not been prevailing of late.

Capt. Mooron August 28th 03 08:41 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| Now you are vindicating Mooron. Look on a chart - it is the end of
| Long Island. The return trip issues relate only to the SW prevailing
| winds, which have not been prevailing of late.
|
| I have no charts at my apartment presently, they're aboard.

I can't believe this!!!!!! Donal must be correct in his assertion of Bob!.
Fer gawds sake!! Enough already!
Are you saying you're NOT familiar with the sailing area you so frivolously
referred to as familiar waters???

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

CM

Bobsprit August 28th 03 08:53 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Are you saying you're NOT familiar with the sailing area you so frivolously
referred to as familiar waters???

Skitchy's area is not an area I've sailed often. It's not the LIS. I see you
didn't realize this, so I won't embarass you further.

RB

Capt. Mooron August 28th 03 09:02 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| Are you saying you're NOT familiar with the sailing area you so
frivolously
| referred to as familiar waters???
|
| Skitchy's area is not an area I've sailed often. It's not the LIS. I see
you
| didn't realize this, so I won't embarass you further.

So Port Jeff *was* familiar????? You know Bob..... a log would help you to
keep your story straight! Looking at the charts occasionally instead of your
cruising guide wouldn't hurt either!

CM

Capt. Mooron August 29th 03 12:31 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

"The Captains Master" wrote in message
| I'm sure you've been confused by land or city lights at some time.
| I sure as hell have.

I sure as hell believe that... maybe if you kept a log as reference or
checked the sounder against your charted depths??? ;-)

CM

Bobsprit August 29th 03 01:18 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Looking at the charts occasionally instead of your
cruising guide wouldn't hurt either!

Better to read BOTH, Mooron.
Drink + sail = bad sailor.

RB

Bobsprit August 29th 03 01:19 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

He says he had to sail back and forth several times before he knew he was at
the
entrance to this extremely well marked and easy harbor.

Actually, we were following the suggestion of the LIS Cruising guide which
suggests doing exactly that. It also mentions that entering at night can be a
problem due to a commonly confused sea, which we did encounter.
You lose AGAIN.

RB

Bobsprit August 29th 03 01:22 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

I sure as hell believe that... maybe if you kept a log as reference or
checked the sounder against your charted depths??? ;-)

When entering a new port, a smart sober sailor follows the charts and considers
and reccomendations offered. In this case, the cruising guide suggested a
careful approach, which we made.
Also: Suzanne was doing all the nav work and wanted no help. She's new to it
and did great.
This is GREAT! Bill and Mooron have LOST EVERY POINT thus far!!!
I'm still waiting for either of you to present a single problem with the trip
we made!

Bwahahahahaha!

RB

Capt. Mooron August 29th 03 01:45 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

How sick is that... he's blaming it on the CREW!!!!????? ... and a woman no
less!!

You are one pathetic piece of work Bob! Is there no depth you will not sink
to in effort to dodge blame and avoid responsibility?

CM

Bobsprit August 29th 03 01:49 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

How sick is that... he's blaming it on the CREW!!!!????? ... and a woman no
less!!

Mooron, can you explain the word "blame" when everything was done correctly?
Hmmmm? Suzanne did a great job, taking care to be certain we navigated safely.
By using the word "blame" only you infer that she did a poor job, which she
didn't.

RB

Bobsprit August 29th 03 01:50 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

to in effort to dodge blame and avoid responsibility?

"Blame" for our perfect little weekend trip? Oh, okay! I accept the blame then!

Bwahahahaha! I just can't lose this week!

RB

Capt. Mooron August 29th 03 02:02 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| Looking at the charts occasionally instead of your
| cruising guide wouldn't hurt either!
|
| Better to read BOTH, Mooron.
| Drink + sail = bad sailor.

Better to Understand Basic Navigation and Seamanship
Sober + Incompetent = Dangerous Sailor

CM

Bobsprit August 29th 03 02:08 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Bob.. how would a confused sea impede the marked channel of entry???
Cruising Guide!!???? Bwahahahahahahaaa! Try the friggin' chart..... cripes
your radar should have lit that puppy up clear as day!!

Oh boy. You're truly frustrated now, eh? There's nothing wrong with being
careful and being certain of an entry. This is all you have left, eh?
There's everything wrong with sailing drunk.

RB

Capt. Mooron August 29th 03 03:01 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| Better to Understand Basic Navigation and Seamanship
| Sober + Incompetent = Dangerous Sailor
|
| You've failed to prove anything, accept that I had a good time and sailed
| safely.
| Thanks!
|
| Please get help. It's not a joke to drink and sail.

Of course not... it's enjoyable and refreshing! Then again I know what I'm
doing out there!

CM

Bobsprit August 29th 03 04:14 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Of course not... it's enjoyable and refreshing! Then again I know what I'm
doing out there!

If you need alcohol to enjoy a sail and feel refreshed, you have an even deeper
problem.
You DON'T know what you're doing because you're operating a vessel under the
influence.

RB

Bobsprit August 29th 03 04:16 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Well Bob... it's your wording and it points out clearly how inexperienced
you must be.

Which wording show's this?

RB

Scott Vernon August 29th 03 04:40 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Ya think if he took off his compass cover it would have helped?

"Capt. Mooron" wrote in message

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| Radar, GPS and a clearly marked channel ... but you have to make several
| passes in case you might be wrong????
|
| Just following suggestions, Mooron, from sober sailors.
| Tell you what, I'll bring home the cruising guide and copy what's

written
for
| you.

Great... I'd be happy to read where it says you should make several passes
before daring to enter the clearly marked harbour because your

navigational
expertise may be compared to a blind wombat on sedatives.

| BTW, do you know what the entrance looks like at night?

No.. but let's face it.. you claimed a mooring field and others who have
been there remarked it was a busy harbour with clearly defined entry. I

know
enough to be able to identify a harbour at night.... painted on radar and
compare it to a chart to place myself within the GPS track to enter ...
especially with a spot light to confirm the buoy numbers, shape and

color...
even drunk!

Obviously this little exercise had you confused, confounded and befuddled
enough to require several passes! No wonder you dropped sail when
approaching a marked channel in moderate breeze on a clear day! Oh yeah..
you're a whiz at this aren't you Bob!!

Bwahahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!

CM
BTW: I'm hoping you're having as much fun with this as I am! ;-)

Capt. Mooron August 29th 03 04:46 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

| Of course not... it's enjoyable and refreshing! Then again I know what I'm
| doing out there!
|
| If you need alcohol to enjoy a sail and feel refreshed, you have an even
deeper
| problem.

Need? Enjoy more like it... what do you have against a tall frosty beer on
a warm afternoon sailing? There are several levels of drunk Bob.... from
Relaxed to Invulnerable. Try operating between the two. I generally keep it
to sub-ballistic and I don't go to Invulnerable until the anchor is down.

| You DON'T know what you're doing because you're operating a vessel under
the
| influence.

It's obvious you don't know what you're doing when sober. At least I can
navigate and sail sober or drunk.

CM

Capt. Mooron August 29th 03 04:53 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

He doesn't even know the variation has not completed a deviation table....
he uses the GPS.

CM

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
| Ya think if he took off his compass cover it would have helped?
|

| "Capt. Mooron" wrote in message
|
| "Bobsprit" wrote in message
| | Radar, GPS and a clearly marked channel ... but you have to make
several
| | passes in case you might be wrong????
| |

Bobsprit August 29th 03 05:03 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Great... I'd be happy to read where it says you should make several passes
before daring to enter the clearly marked harbour

This is GONNA BE GREAT!!! I'll post this tomorrow!

RB

Bobsprit August 29th 03 05:07 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

marked channel in moderate breeze on a clear day! Oh yeah..
you're a whiz at this aren't you Bob!!

Thanks, we did very well and had a great time. Suzanne is getting a great grasp
of nav skills.
We do our sailing unhampered by the need for drugs.

RB

Bobsprit August 29th 03 05:10 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

There are several levels of drunk BobZ

The firsty defense of a person who's out of control is to claim they are on
"another level" or "have it under control."
Operating any kind of machine, boats, cars, planes, forklifts...while drinking?
Shame on you.
I'm twice the sailor you are. Three times the sailor if you can't stop.

RB

Bobsprit August 29th 03 05:12 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

I generally keep it
to sub-ballistic and I don't go to Invulnerable until the anchor is down.

I'm glad you're FAR away...and so are a lot of others. Most of the people won't
dare to speak the truth to you, but I will.
Drinking and sailing don't mix. You're a hazard and an accident waiting to
happen.

RB

Bobsprit August 29th 03 05:22 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Really, Bob?

Why do you think that drinking and sailing such a bad thing?

Donal, you really shouldn't troll about this sort of thing. Operating a boat
while hampered by alchohol is not smart and you shouldn't support it, even to
make a "troll."

RB

Scott Vernon August 29th 03 05:34 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Results so far;

Sail with drunk Mooron ----- 86
Sail with sober bobspit ----- 1

Keep voting folks!
(Bob, stop e-mailing me, you're only allowed one vote)

Scotty

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
mmmmmmmm? let's take a poll. Who would you rather sail with, a drunken
Mooron, or a sober bobspit?
e-mail me your vote.

Scotty

Capt. Mooron August 29th 03 05:44 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

So-o-o-o-o.... you don't have a reason???

CM

Bobsprit August 29th 03 05:47 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

So-o-o-o-o.... you don't have a reason???

Sorry, Mooron. I don't fool around when it comes to drinking and operating ANY
vehicle. Making a joke out of it is really all you can do.

RB

Donal August 29th 03 06:02 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Really, Bob?

Why do you think that drinking and sailing such a bad thing?

Donal, you really shouldn't troll about this sort of thing. Operating a

boat
while hampered by alchohol is not smart and you shouldn't support it, even

make a "troll."

I'm not trolling, Bob.

I can see that alcohol is an issue when you are doing 70mph in very close
proximity with other vehicles. Fast reactions are very important.

Boats doing 6 kts with large distances between them is a completely
different matter.

Can you really not see the difference?

Regards

Donal

Bobsprit August 29th 03 06:07 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

On each side of the entrance is a flashing light on a tower that is
about 30 feet high. There are also at least three lighted bouys in
close proximity. A glance at a chart would tell you which flashing
light was which.

How wide is the entrance? How close are the two FBs to the SW???

RB

Bobsprit August 29th 03 06:17 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Boats doing 6 kts with large distances between them is a completely
different matter.

Can you really not see the difference?

Alcohol effects the following:

1) Judgment...kinda dangerous on a boat.
2) heat retention...kinda bad if you fall overboard or need to make a MOB
rescue that requires getting wet.
3) Reflexes ....kinda dangerous if you have to get close during docking
4) Eyesight....see #1
5) Balance....dangerous for the sailor and anyone he might have to rescue.

Drinking and boating don't mix. It's not legal for obvious reasons. Driving a
car while drunk is also awful and selfish.
I'm shocked that you would even think of defending such a bad habit in an open
forum.

RB

Bobsprit August 29th 03 07:07 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Those questions are all answered clearly and definitively by looking
at a proper chart.

In other words, you don't know.
As I thought.

RB

Scott Vernon August 29th 03 07:09 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Updated results;

Sail with drunk Mooron ----- 479
Sail with sober bobspit ----- 2

Way to go bob!

Scott Vernon August 29th 03 07:15 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

I always try to dock from a great distance.

"Bobsprit" wrote

3) Reflexes ....kinda dangerous if you have to get close during docking

Scott Vernon August 29th 03 07:31 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

NO! if you're too frickin stupid to vote right then too bad. The vote
stays.

Scotty

"Donal" wrote in message

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Results so far;

Sail with drunk Mooron ----- 86
Sail with sober bobspit ----- 1

Actually, I accidentally voted for Bob.

Could you adjust the figures to reflect this error?

Thanks!

Donal

Bobsprit August 29th 03 07:41 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

Updated results;

Sail with drunk Mooron ----- 479

That's more people than we have the groups! Whoo hoo!

RB

John Cairns August 29th 03 09:30 PM

Congratulations, Bob.

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
mmmmmmmm? let's take a poll. Who would you rather sail with, a drunken
Mooron, or a sober bobspit?
e-mail me your vote.

Scotty

I doubt if Moorom sails drunk, but claiming that a skipper has to be a
teetotaler while under way is ridiculous. Generally, we don't break out the
brews until after finish, but last Saturday during a period of light winds
the skipper relented and had cocktail hour, before the end of the race. One
more vote for Mooron.
John Cairns

Scott Vernon August 29th 03 10:19 PM

Congratulations, Bob.