Bobsprit

Default Here's to Donal!

Tell us how you calculated the effects of tide on your course to steer.
Tell us how the weather forecast affected your plans. Tell us how the
actual weather affected your trip. Did everything go according to plan?

Great questions!
LIS currents were more of a factor than I anticipated, especially from previous
sails. On our return leg, we were slowed below 5 knots which I might have
improved on had I sailed closer to the Con. Coast. I often find reduced current
there.
The weather on friday predicted "severe T-storms" but I knew we could be in a
good area to deal with them (plenty of water) and it would be a worthwhile
experience. I've never been in a T-storm at night. The storms flanked us with
plenty of lightening and thunder, but never came. Not even a drop of rain.
By the time we were approaching Port Jeff, winds had come up to around 20 knots
+ and there's a bit of a confused sea (as our cruising guide warned) outside
the entrance. Following advice, we sailed back and forth making sure we
fathomed the entrance correctly. Suzanne was doing the nav and having a tough
time making sure we had it right.
Everything went according to plan accept that we did not know that so many
boats would be littering the Thimbles. It was so crowded that we left soon
after and grabbed the mooring in nearby Morris Cove. We missed our planned
return time at City Island by two hours.

RB
Wally

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

Tell us how you calculated the effects of tide on your course to steer.
Tell us how the weather forecast affected your plans. Tell us how the
actual weather affected your trip. Did everything go according to

plan?

Great questions!
LIS currents were more of a factor than I anticipated, especially from

previous
sails. On our return leg, we were slowed below 5 knots which I might have
improved on had I sailed closer to the Con. Coast. I often find reduced

current
there.

So, how did you calculate the effects of tide on your course to steer?

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!

Bobsprit

there.

So, how did you calculate the effects of tide on your course to steer?

No calculations were needed. The current was on our nose. I chose to maintain
course with reduced VMG. For most the trip the wind did all it could to aid us
against the current.

RB
Wally

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

So, how did you calculate the effects of tide on your course to steer?

No calculations were needed. The current was on our nose. I chose to

maintain
course with reduced VMG.

Was this what you expected before setting off? (Tidal direction being 180
deg to your course, I mean.)

Did your logged speed remain fairly constant (aside from variations due to
changes in wind speed)?

--
Wally
I demand rigidly-defined areas of uncertainty!
www.art-gallery.myby.co.uk

Bobsprit

Was this what you expected before setting off? (Tidal direction being 180
deg to your course, I mean.)

Did your logged speed remain fairly constant (aside from variations due to
changes in wind speed)?

Yup. Eldridge showed those currents, but I really expected to make a better
VMG, for no valid reason!
Speed over ground averaged 3.5 to 5.5knots. Knotmeter gave 6.5 to 8 knots. Our
average was probably below 5 knots after the third hour, but picked up again at
the last few hours.

RB

Capt. Mooron

Excellent... you determined both set & drift as well?? That's not easy on a
current that appears to average at over 2 knots at times. Was the seafloor
topography fairly constant or did you compensate for the shallows and surges
they would present?

Could you provide the calcs for that... for the enlightenment of those
unfamiliar of course. ;-)

CM

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
| Was this what you expected before setting off? (Tidal direction being 180
| deg to your course, I mean.)
|
| Did your logged speed remain fairly constant (aside from variations due to
| changes in wind speed)?
|
| Yup. Eldridge showed those currents, but I really expected to make a
better
| VMG, for no valid reason!
| Speed over ground averaged 3.5 to 5.5knots. Knotmeter gave 6.5 to 8 knots.
Our
| average was probably below 5 knots after the third hour, but picked up
again at
| the last few hours.
|
| RB

Bobsprit

Tell us how you calculated the effects of tide on your course to steer.

To be more specific, VMG was reduced, but I did not alter course to seek out a
less effected track. We were having a fine time, on course and going down the
up escalator.

RB
Capt. Mooron

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

| Everything went according to plan accept that we did not know that so many
| boats would be littering the Thimbles.

Which begs the question.. why did he post this to me earlier on?

"I love it when Mooron gets caught lying!
1) I clearly indicated that I saw few boats, which MIGHT be normal for the
area"

CM

Bobsprit

Which begs the question.. why did he post this to me earlier on?

"I love it when Mooron gets caught lying!
1) I clearly indicated that I saw few boats, which MIGHT be normal for the
area"

What a liar you are, taking your trolls to new lows. This is really getting sad
for you!
The boats at the thimbles were ANCHORED. My reference to "few boats" was to
SAILING vessels (that means with sails up, Mooron) of which we saw very few.
Probably less than 10-15 actually under sail and it was a clear day. Where was
Billy Jane?

Capt RB
Capt. Mooron

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

| What a liar you are, taking your trolls to new lows. This is really
getting sad
| for you!

Now Bob.... Temper Temper! You're allowing your blood pressure to get
elevated and that's not healthy for someone with a sedentary lifestyle.

| The boats at the thimbles were ANCHORED. My reference to "few boats" was
| SAILING vessels (that means with sails up, Mooron) of which we saw very
few.
| Probably less than 10-15 actually under sail and it was a clear day. Where
was
| Billy Jane?

You seem to be fixated on Bill and this must explain why you claimed to have
seen few "SAILING" boats... "(that means with sails up, Mooron)"... since
your sails were down as well. Maybe it was that difficult channel they had
to negotiate at the Thimbles?

Thanks for clarifying that "few" means 10 to 15.... I'll keep that in mind
for future reports of your adventures.! ;-)

CM

Lesson for Donal Bobsprit ASA 24 August 10th 03 01:08 AM
Lesson #2 for Donal Bobsprit ASA 2 August 7th 03 10:34 PM
Donal Screws the Pooch CANDChelp ASA 1 July 31st 03 05:09 AM
I'm Letting Donal off the Hook CANDChelp ASA 40 July 30th 03 12:05 PM
Donal Hates Your Boat The_navigator© ASA 37 July 20th 03 11:26 PM