Gilligan

Default Zuma sailboat

Any opinions on the Zuma sailboat manufactured by Vanguard. I want something
I car car top that will still sail ok. Don't worry I'm not going any further
offshore in it than Bobsprit does in his 32 footer! BWAAAHAAAHAAA!!
Seriously, I'd appreciate any opinions-good, bad or ugly.

Gilligan

Bobsprit

A Zuma is an ok boat, by why not get a laser? Then you can race.
If your serious about a small open transom dinghy, also check out the Xcite.
It's plastic so it will stand up to abuse a little better (won't shatter
when it falls off the car).

I've sailed both. Though they both weigh about the same, it's easier to get the
Zuma off a roof when you're alone. The Zuma is less of a performer, but was
easier to get the hang of and was more stable. I had more fun on the laser, but
the Zuma seemed more rugged with it's toy-plastic hull.

RB
DSK

Gilligan wrote:

Any opinions on the Zuma sailboat manufactured by Vanguard.

One of Vanguards best boats... IMHO it is by far their best boat, but most of
the rest of them I wouldn't accept as a gift.

I want something
I car car top that will still sail ok.

If you get a good sail, add some real blocks & beef up the cheesy plywood
daggerboard & rudder, it will sail better than OK.

Pony Express wrote:

A Zuma is an ok boat, by why not get a laser? Then you can race.

The Zuma is a LOT less tiddly & quirky than the Laser, and the cockpit is much
much more comfortable. Can carry 2 people better and IIRC it's lighter.

If your serious about a small open transom dinghy, also check out the Xcite.
It's plastic so it will stand up to abuse a little better (won't shatter
when it falls off the car).

I would really like to try the Excite, it looks like a very sensible boat.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Bobsprit

The Zuma is a LOT less tiddly & quirky than the Laser, and the cockpit is much
much more comfortable. Can carry 2 people better and IIRC it's lighter.

What's the weight diff? I thought they were both around 125-130.

RB
Thom Stewart

Gilly,

I have very little knowledge to pass on to you about the Yuma but I have
to tell you about an observation of a Zuma I had.

I watched one sail up to the Launching Ramp. I thought he would nose up
to the waters edge. Was I surprised! He sailed the damn thing right up
the ramp. It must have been thirty or forty feet. I didn't think he was
ever going to stop sailing the damn thing. Stepped off on dry land and
started getting it ready to car top. I was very impressed.

Ole Thom

Gilligan

Can you make some recommendations for a sailboard?

I have sailboarded once in the past and got lessons. It was a lot like
telemark skiing. Lots of falling over, but once you get the knack...

"Simple Simon" wrote in message

A real man like yourself should eschew the pretend
sailing dinghies and get a sailboard instead. Take
advantage of some of that adiabatic wind up there in
the mountain lakes and keep your body in shape.

Boards go faster, fine tune your balance, increase
your upper body strength and are lighter and easier
to car top. Leave the little dinghies to the girly men
like Ganz, Booby, Stevie and Loco.

"Gilligan" wrote in message

ink.net...
Any opinions on the Zuma sailboat manufactured by Vanguard. I want

something
I car car top that will still sail ok. Don't worry I'm not going any

further
offshore in it than Bobsprit does in his 32 footer! BWAAAHAAAHAAA!!
Seriously, I'd appreciate any opinions-good, bad or ugly.

Gilligan

Jonathan Ganz

I used to do that with my windrider tri. Sometimes it scared people
how far up the ramp I would get before it stopped. Damn thing was
indestructible.

"Thom Stewart" wrote in message
Gilly,

I have very little knowledge to pass on to you about the Yuma but I have
to tell you about an observation of a Zuma I had.

I watched one sail up to the Launching Ramp. I thought he would nose up
to the waters edge. Was I surprised! He sailed the damn thing right up
the ramp. It must have been thirty or forty feet. I didn't think he was
ever going to stop sailing the damn thing. Stepped off on dry land and
started getting it ready to car top. I was very impressed.

Ole Thom

WTB Laser Sailboat wanted - cash waiting for clean late model in USA Wedac Marketplace 1 August 26th 11 03:49 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum Cruising 22 June 3rd 04 02:56 AM
??? M.L. Browne General 0 May 17th 04 04:38 PM
WHY SAILBOATS ARE BETTER THAN WOMEN Sail Bum General 0 May 14th 04 04:16 AM
A tough question for Jeff and Shen44 otnmbrd ASA 53 July 30th 03 06:14 PM