Bobsprit

Default Leaving Slip/marina

How many of you REALLY sound horns when leaving slips/marina?

Capt RB
Bobsprit

Jeff, what rule are you asking about regarding marinas and horns? I'm not sure
I've heard of one. Can you point me to it?

I only asked how many people sound them when leaving. Many of us do here to
avoid problems when entering the exit channel.

RB
Bobsprit

This signal is almost always used by commercial traffic, but its use by
recreational
vessels varies greatly by local custom and the situation.

I see. Thanks for the clarification. Do you sound a horn when leaving a
slip/marina?

RB

On 11 Aug (Bobsprit) wrote:

How many of you REALLY sound horns
when leaving slips/marina?

We almost always do, especially on busy days, because our slip leads
directly into a comparatively narrow channel and there is a +/- 60'
converted minesweeper or similar boat in a nearby parallel slip that
obscures the line of sight of those in the channel populated by more
power boats than sailboats.

Jeff Morris

"Bobsprit" wrote:
I see. Thanks for the clarification. Do you sound a horn when leaving a
slip/marina?

It varies with the local custom and the situation.

For instance, since I'm now on an outside face dock in a dead end channel, there's no
need. There is a slightly blind exit channel for most of the boats at my marina, but I'd
rather see them leave dead slow and quiet, than toot the horn and buzz out at 6 knots.

However, when dealing with situations that include blind corners and limited
maneuverability, I always use the horn, and in recent years have started using securite
calls.

Two places to help you over radio shyness are the "Rock Pile" on the ICW, south of Myrtle
Beach, and "Crash Corner" in Key Largo.

Jonathan Ganz

We sure do! The slot to get through the slips is quite narrow,
and when you exit, you are immediately in the Sausalito channel...
lots of traffic. We're also looking for moving masts, dumbass
stinkpoters, and kayaks.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
How many of you REALLY sound horns when leaving slips/marina?

Capt RB

Flying Spermatazoa

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote in
:

We sure do! The slot to get through the slips is quite narrow,
and when you exit, you are immediately in the Sausalito channel...
lots of traffic. We're also looking for moving masts, dumbass
stinkpoters, and kayaks.

And what else!
C'mon.

Bertei
katysails

This signal is almost always used by commercial traffic, but its use by
recreational
vessels varies greatly by local custom and the situation.

Some marinas have wirhin their own rules that horns shall not be sounded
except for an emergency situation.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

felton

Would this be in addition to or instead of the cursing and obscene
gestures you and your crew employ when leaving your marina?

On 11 Aug 2003 15:50:57 GMT, (Bobsprit) wrote:

How many of you REALLY sound horns when leaving slips/marina?

Capt RB

Bobsprit

Some marinas have wirhin their own rules that horns shall not be sounded
except for an emergency situation.

That's the "please don't wake the hungover sailor" law.

RB