Jonathan Ganz

Default Reefing

Out here conditions usually warrant it from the beginning.
I usually have my students practice reefing at the dock,
in part because of the poor way the Catalina reefing is
set up. Typical wind speeds are 20-25 kts. A single reef
in the main and a 100% jib are usually about right. Additionally,
it's easier and safer to remove the reef than for the students
to try and put in a reef on short notice. There are several
areas where it be under 10 kts and then see an increase with
virtually no notice.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
I usually leave the dock with the main reefed as the winds tend to get
stronger further out. Also, it gives me a chance to 'get my sea legs' and
sort out the boat.

For god's sake. Reef when conditions warrant and not for "sea legs!"
1st I ever heard of someone reefing for thier own poor balance!

Bwahahahahaha!

RB

Bobsprit

Typical wind speeds are 20-25 kts. A single reef
in the main and a 100% jib are usually about right.

Ganzy, unlike Scotty, you reef due to wind conditions, not so people keep their
balance, right?

RB
Scott Vernon

Default Real Sailors Only need Apply!!!

It may have been a refrigerator or a Buick.

Scotty

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
I'm glad you appreciate how lame it sounds. It was only a few days ago

you were
criticizing me for preparing the boat with a compass & chart when sailing

in my home
waters. You whacked a rock yesterday and haven't looked yet to see what

you hit? Good
Grief!!!

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
And hitting a rock! I know the old sayings that all sailors have

touched
bottom on
occasion, but most of us only take risks like that when gunkholing, or

scrape
the mud in a

My only excuse...and man, it's lame!...is that I've sailed that area a

hundred
times and felt I was well clear of the rocks. The visual landmarks

appeared
correct from memory...and they weren't. I was lucky that the boat wasn't

flying
at that moment or I may have done damage.
I plan to have a look at the charts today and see what's what. I'm

guessing
that the P30 would not have touched bottom.

RB

Scott Vernon

he didn't, he lied.

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote

I was surprised that you left the marina

The_navigator©

You hit a rock and have not checked for damage? What about the 'smile'

Cheers MC

Bobsprit wrote:

You whacked a rock yesterday and haven't looked yet to see what you hit?

Nope. I know what I hit. It was a rock, Jeff. Hard object. Didn't hit hard to
fast. I misjudged the location, but I'll probably remember it next time.
You seem very shaken up by this!
Some years ago, my friend grounded my Catalina 27 badly enough to require us
waiting for the tide. Another time I played too close to Big Tom. I've yet to
meet a sailor who's never made these errors, but maybe your the 1st?
We were one of TWO boats out sailing in those conditions. I know you would have
stayed at the dock...and so do you.

RB

Simple Simon

It is logical at least. I'm certain that living in godforsaken climes
leads any man to escape and what better way than to sail?

I am a good example of a real sailor having come down river
from the Midwest where there was snow and icy cold rain
in the winter time. The pond actually turned to ice thick enough
to skate on. What sane man can live in a place like that his
whole life?

"katysails" wrote in message ...
Ya know, every so often the "real sailor" thing comes up and we know where
that leads...When I think of a "real sailor", I go back to what descriptions
of sailors from history and literature. Did you ever notice that the great
saialors, men who battled on the sea, or transported goods, or performed
adventurous deeds, were ALL from temperate climates? They may have
sojourned to the tropics, but the majority sailed back from whence they
came. Think of the historically great ports: Plymouth, Liverpool, Bristol
in Great Britain to name a few. In the USA we have Plymouth, Boston, the
Chesepeake...We have all the great ports of the NE seaboard. From these
ports, we imported and exported by sailing ship. We whaled. We fished. We
made our country great. What sailors were noted for coming from the
tropics? Pirates. Privateers. Slavers. It all fits, doesn't it? Think
about it....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

Flying Tadpole

Bobsprit wrote:

Well, today I met Marc from alt.sailing.asa for a sail. Winds were challenging
to say the least, blowing 20-25 and gusting well above 30 to perhaps 35. There
wasn't a moment of doubt about going out, even though a friend pointed west to
a large mass of dark clouds.

Hey, I missed this! Bobsprit out in a good sailing breeze! But
"blowing 20-25" (with the normal gusts) is "challenging to say
the least"?? "Windy as hell"?? Now thunderstorms I could
concede...

So what. snip

Indeed...

--
Flying Tadpole

-------------------------
Learn what lies below the waves of cyberspace!
http://www.internetopera.netfirms.com
katysails

What sane man can live in a place like that his
whole life?

Most of them.

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse

SkitchNYC

[...]

Didn't even know Katy had a tackle box.
Donal

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Well, today I met Marc from alt.sailing.asa for a sail. Winds were

challenging
to say the least, blowing 20-25 and gusting well above 30 to perhaps 35.

snip
BAM!!!
We hit a rock! Not badly, bumped it at about 3 knots luckily and lifted up

and
over.

What nonsense! I amazed that anybody believes this wild fabrication.

Winds of 25 kts and you "gently" hit a rock at 3 kts?????

Regards

Donal