BoatBanter.com

-   -   Real Sailors Only need Apply!!! (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16698-real-sailors-only-need-apply.html)

Bobsprit August 4th 03 02:54 AM

Real Sailors Only need Apply!!!

Well, today I met Marc from alt.sailing.asa for a sail. Winds were challenging
to say the least, blowing 20-25 and gusting well above 30 to perhaps 35. There
wasn't a moment of doubt about going out, even though a friend pointed west to
a large mass of dark clouds. So what. Still, with just my ex-girlfriend along,
I probably wouldn't have headed out so quickly!
We headed out into a lot of spray and short rollers (though no waves crashed
down onto anyone) and hoisted the main, unreefed. We fell off and made 6.5-7
knots easy. It was really windy as hell, but Marc is a straight-shooting sort
who seems to love boats. Marc liked the way Alien tracked downwind.
We continued that way for a while, then finally headed down toward Hart Island.
Marc was worried about ROCKS, but I was pretty certain we had water and then,
while feathering up...
BAM!!!
We hit a rock! Not badly, bumped it at about 3 knots luckily and lifted up and
over. Had a good laugh and I guess that extra foot of draft is worth a local
chart review!
We popped the genoa to a bit under 100% or so. No great shape, but high winds
kept her moving. We made 7 knots, flirted with 7.5 and near 8 a few times on a
close reach.
By this point there were only TWO other sailboats out showing canvas. A small
Irwin called Juliet sailed close by amd yelled "Why are we the only one's out
here?" Probably because we're the ONLY SAILORS around, but he was already too
far off to hear that.
Killer fun day and a real rig stresser! Hope Marc returns the favor and has me
out on his Freedom 36 soon!
Came back to more than 300 posts from the non-sailors here. It's a bit sad,
really. Was it too windy? Not windy enough? Too wet, too dry? Why oh why don't
you people sail???
Sailing again tomorrow and Tuesday!

PS: It was observed that Alien is the only boat at the marina without
shackled/thimbled lines!

Bwahahahahaha!!

Capt RB

Scott Vernon August 4th 03 03:13 AM

Real Sailors Only need Apply!!!

"Bobsprit" wrote ...
Well, today I met Marc from alt.sailing.asa for a sail.
There
wasn't a moment of doubt about coming out, even though a friend pointed

my large mass .
I probably shouldn't have came out so quickly
because Marc is straight.

DAMN!!!
Had a good laugh and I flirted.
Hope Marc returns the favor soon!
It's a bit sad,
really. Was I too windy? Not windy enough? Too wet, too dry? Why oh why

din't
I wait???

PS: It was observed that Alien is the only boat at the marina with
pink fenders and lines!

Capt RB

Bobsprit August 4th 03 01:08 PM

Real Sailors Only need Apply!!!

Poor Scotty!!! Another weekend in front of his computer has only made him
bitter in spades!
Going sailing this summer, Scotty? Let us know if you do!
BTW, you're invited aboard Alien for a sail!

RB

Jeff Morris August 4th 03 02:25 PM

Real Sailors Only need Apply!!!

It sounds like you had a fun day.

A few observations:
When you report the wind, it is traditional amongst sailors to include the wind
direction - that often tells more than the exact strength. I'm guessing it was SW?

I was surprised that you left the marina with a full main. In these conditions, every
displacement boat I've sailed would do better under single reef than full main; and all
have been much easier to reef at the dock and shake out underway, than the other way
around.

I notice that your boat has become much slower that it used to be. A few weeks ago you
were do 9, 10, even 11 knots, and insisted it was real. Now, with a witness on board,
your boat seems to be only as fast as normal boats.

And hitting a rock! I know the old sayings that all sailors have touched bottom on
occasion, but most of us only take risks like that when gunkholing, or scrape the mud in a
shoaled channel. But hitting a rock on a heavy weather day - that's real amateur stuff,
Booby. And to do it a few miles from your slip! Did you have a chart? Was your compass
uncovered? You have a mapping GPS - wasn't that on? And you crew even said there were
rocks - what were you thinking? My chart doesn't even show any rocks more than 100 yards
from shore - what were you doing so close? I think you should get out your insurance
policy and make sure it covers gross negligence.

--
-jeff
"Constant Vigilance!" - Frances W. Wright

Bobsprit August 4th 03 02:35 PM

Real Sailors Only need Apply!!!

I notice that your boat has become much slower that it used to be. A few weeks
ago you
were do 9, 10, even 11 knots,

Our speed dramatically increased later on when we let out a bit of the genoa.
Our best speed was just shy of 8 knots and there was considerable chop.
If you ever make over here, Jeff, I'd be happy to have you aboard the Alien
Rocket!

RB

Bobsprit August 4th 03 02:40 PM

Real Sailors Only need Apply!!!

I think you should get out your insurance
policy and make sure it covers gross negligence.

It does...and it's a wealthy day when Alien goes down and even better if my car
is stolen and Brooklyn house goes up in flames!
Of course I don't want any of that to actually happen!

Capt RB

Jeff Morris August 4th 03 03:31 PM

Real Sailors Only need Apply!!!

Maybe someday - but remember, my boat does an honest 11-12 knots in those conditions. 8
knots seems a bit tame for me.

Scott Vernon August 4th 03 03:36 PM

Reefing

That's the third time I've seen that. I agree.
I usually leave the dock with the main reefed as the winds tend to get
stronger further out. Also, it gives me a chance to 'get my sea legs' and
sort out the boat. I generally leave the reef in if the Queen is along.

Scotty

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote...

Scott Vernon August 4th 03 03:40 PM

Real Sailors Only need Apply!!!

"Bobsprit" wrote i
My only excuse...I'm lame!...

RB

Simple Simon August 4th 03 03:40 PM

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message ...
Maybe someday - but remember, my boat does an honest 11-12 knots in those conditions. 8
knots seems a bit tame for me.

You must really have big motors in that tub to go that fast!