Scott Vernon

Default Real Sailors Only need Apply!!!

Is that how ''real sailors'' do it, hit bottom, then go home and look at the
chart to see what they hit?

I plan to have a look at the charts today and see what's what. I'm

guessing
that the P30 would not have touched bottom.

RB

Jeff Morris

It's August, this is the third time you've been out on 20+, and you haven't set up the
reef lines yet?

Good Grief!!!! Most of us take some pride in our seamanship; you've been doing this for 8
years on three boats and you're still a newbie!

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
I was surprised that you left the marina with a full main.

We sailed with only the main and things were fairly well controlled. Consider
that the C&C 32 main is quite small.
My reefing setup wasn't set up in anycase, though I could have had it run in a
minute.

RB

Jeff Morris

I'm glad you appreciate how lame it sounds. It was only a few days ago you were
criticizing me for preparing the boat with a compass & chart when sailing in my home
waters. You whacked a rock yesterday and haven't looked yet to see what you hit? Good
Grief!!!

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
And hitting a rock! I know the old sayings that all sailors have touched
bottom on
occasion, but most of us only take risks like that when gunkholing, or scrape
the mud in a

My only excuse...and man, it's lame!...is that I've sailed that area a hundred
times and felt I was well clear of the rocks. The visual landmarks appeared
correct from memory...and they weren't. I was lucky that the boat wasn't flying
at that moment or I may have done damage.
I plan to have a look at the charts today and see what's what. I'm guessing
that the P30 would not have touched bottom.

RB

Bobsprit

It's August, this is the third time you've been out on 20+, and you haven't set
up the
reef lines yet?

Sure I have. I have pretty yellow reef lines and they were set up as until
middle of last week until I removed the main. I just didn't put them back. I
just recently reinstalled the vang, but have to redo the bail.

RB
Bobsprit

You whacked a rock yesterday and haven't looked yet to see what you hit?

Nope. I know what I hit. It was a rock, Jeff. Hard object. Didn't hit hard to
fast. I misjudged the location, but I'll probably remember it next time.
You seem very shaken up by this!
Some years ago, my friend grounded my Catalina 27 badly enough to require us
waiting for the tide. Another time I played too close to Big Tom. I've yet to
meet a sailor who's never made these errors, but maybe your the 1st?
We were one of TWO boats out sailing in those conditions. I know you would have
stayed at the dock...and so do you.

RB

Scott Vernon

Normaly, I would think his post was a lie (troll to booby), but, with Marc
along, he figures he better post 'his' story quick before Marc tells the
group what a bad sailor bob is.

Scotty

"Jeff Morris" jeffmo@NoSpam-sv-lokiDOTcom wrote in message
It sounds like you had a fun day.

A few observations:
When you report the wind, it is traditional amongst sailors to include the

wind
direction - that often tells more than the exact strength. I'm guessing

it was SW?

I was surprised that you left the marina with a full main. In these

conditions, every
displacement boat I've sailed would do better under single reef than full

main; and all
have been much easier to reef at the dock and shake out underway, than the

other way
around.

I notice that your boat has become much slower that it used to be. A few

weeks ago you
were do 9, 10, even 11 knots, and insisted it was real. Now, with a

witness on board,
your boat seems to be only as fast as normal boats.

And hitting a rock! I know the old sayings that all sailors have touched

bottom on
occasion, but most of us only take risks like that when gunkholing, or

scrape the mud in a
shoaled channel. But hitting a rock on a heavy weather day - that's real

amateur stuff,
Booby. And to do it a few miles from your slip! Did you have a chart?

Was your compass
uncovered? You have a mapping GPS - wasn't that on? And you crew even

said there were
rocks - what were you thinking? My chart doesn't even show any rocks more

than 100 yards
from shore - what were you doing so close? I think you should get out

your insurance
policy and make sure it covers gross negligence.

--
-jeff
"Constant Vigilance!" - Frances W. Wright

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Well, today I met Marc from alt.sailing.asa for a sail. Winds were

challenging
to say the least, blowing 20-25 and gusting well above 30 to perhaps 35.

There
wasn't a moment of doubt about going out, even though a friend pointed

west to
a large mass of dark clouds. So what. Still, with just my ex-girlfriend

along,
I probably wouldn't have headed out so quickly!
We headed out into a lot of spray and short rollers (though no waves

crashed
down onto anyone) and hoisted the main, unreefed. We fell off and made

6.5-7
knots easy. It was really windy as hell, but Marc is a straight-shooting

sort
who seems to love boats. Marc liked the way Alien tracked downwind.
We continued that way for a while, then finally headed down toward Hart

Island.
Marc was worried about ROCKS, but I was pretty certain we had water and

then,
while feathering up...
BAM!!!
We hit a rock! Not badly, bumped it at about 3 knots luckily and lifted

up and
over. Had a good laugh and I guess that extra foot of draft is worth a

local
chart review!
We popped the genoa to a bit under 100% or so. No great shape, but high

winds
kept her moving. We made 7 knots, flirted with 7.5 and near 8 a few

times on a
close reach.
By this point there were only TWO other sailboats out showing canvas. A

small
Irwin called Juliet sailed close by amd yelled "Why are we the only

one's out
here?" Probably because we're the ONLY SAILORS around, but he was

already too
far off to hear that.
Killer fun day and a real rig stresser! Hope Marc returns the favor and

has me
out on his Freedom 36 soon!
Came back to more than 300 posts from the non-sailors here. It's a bit

sad,
really. Was it too windy? Not windy enough? Too wet, too dry? Why oh why

don't
you people sail???
Sailing again tomorrow and Tuesday!

PS: It was observed that Alien is the only boat at the marina without
shackled/thimbled lines!

Bwahahahahaha!!

Capt RB

Scott Vernon

Default Rocking

yeah, OK, sure thing, Rocky.

'
"Bobsprit" wrote in message
I usually leave the dock with the main reefed as the winds tend to get
stronger further out. Also, it gives me a chance to 'get my sea legs' and
sort out the boat.

For god's sake. Reef when conditions warrant and not for "sea legs!"
1st I ever heard of someone reefing for thier own poor balance!

Bwahahahahaha!

RB

Simple Simon

Take that cover off the compass so you can memorize
course headings, set and drift and you may be able to
avoid such pitfalls. What you failed to consider is your
leeway in high wind and the compass would have given
you valuable information concerning leeway.

I TOLD YOU SO!

"Bobsprit" wrote in message ...
And hitting a rock! I know the old sayings that all sailors have touched
bottom on
occasion, but most of us only take risks like that when gunkholing, or scrape
the mud in a

My only excuse...and man, it's lame!...is that I've sailed that area a hundred
times and felt I was well clear of the rocks. The visual landmarks appeared
correct from memory...and they weren't. I was lucky that the boat wasn't flying
at that moment or I may have done damage.
I plan to have a look at the charts today and see what's what. I'm guessing
that the P30 would not have touched bottom.

RB

Bobsprit

Normaly, I would think his post was a lie (troll to booby), but, with Marc
along, he figures he better post 'his' story quick before Marc tells the
group what a bad sailor bob is.

Yup....maybe Marc will post what a bad sailor I am! He certainly spotted a few
problems!

RB
Jonathan Ganz

You need to do a careful check of the bottom because
of the collision. Fiberglass doesn't respond well to rocks.
It's worth a diver checking it out.