Bobsprit

Default Do You Own a Yacht???

Are you stating that you lied on an official CG document?

I'm married. If my name was on the doc, my wife would also own the boat. We
have no prenup. In any case she actually paid for the boat, as I had paid for
the previous item....the car.

RB
Pony Express

The documentation should list *all* owners. So, you don't own a boat?
No prenup? How did you con her into that?
Have you ever seen the Cert. of Doc.? How about a pic of this Doc #
'plaque'. Is it legal?
--
----
Steve

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Are you stating that you lied on an official CG document?

I'm married. If my name was on the doc, my wife would also own the boat.

We
have no prenup. In any case she actually paid for the boat, as I had paid

for
the previous item....the car.

RB

Bobsprit

The documentation should list *all* owners. So, you don't own a boat?
No prenup? How did you con her into that?

I did not want my name on paperwork that indicates me as "owner" of anything.

RB
Pony Express

So, if the plaque is removed, all that is left are two holes?
--
----
Steve

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
How about a pic of this Doc #
'plaque'. Is it legal?

Sure, it's through bolted in the main cockpit locker. Took us a while to

find
it! Usually they're mounted beneath the salon berth.
I'll post the doc next week when I pick it up.

RB

Jeff Morris

The documentation is as close to a "title" is there is. If you sell a documented vessel,
that is the proof of ownership. The bill of sale, CG-1340, is filled out by the seller,
notarized, and sent in to the Vessel Documentation Center, along with the CG-1258. The
original BOS is retained and a copy is returned. If you document a new vessel you do not
end up with a bill of sale. Since your situation was different - the documentation had
lapsed - the state title has to be sent in.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/instr/instrex.doc

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
It certainly does. It indicates both physical ownership and managing
ownership. But you knew that since your boat is documented.

Not at all. You don't know the law. The original reciept and insurance and
operator papers indicate ownership. Documentation is NOT a title.
But there's a far better reason to put the documentation in my wife's name.

Sorry.

RB

Bobsprit

o, if the plaque is removed, all that is left are two holes?
--

Actually, I have no idea of how the plaque his affixed.

RB
Bobsprit

The documentation is as close to a "title" is there is. If you sell a
documented vessel,
that is the proof of ownership. The bill of sale, CG-1340, is filled out by the
seller,
notarized, and sent in to the Vessel Documentation Center, along with the
CG-1258.

Repeat after me! The doc is NOT a title. Notarized bill of sale is what's sent
to CG. In this case we had to also send our marriage certificate along with
notorized statement that I was the operator, which was also sent to the
Insurance co.
The marriage cert. was recquired because my name is on the bill of sale, but I
wanted hers on the doc. alone.

RB
Bobsprit

Brush your teeth once in a while and the plaque
wil not be affixed.

Good grief, Neal. Not exactly biting humor.

RB
Jeff Morris

I don't know how the laws work in New York, but I think that the concept of "community
property" applies to divorce, but not necessarily liability, estate and other issues. If
Suzy was listed as the only owner on your CG-1258, she is the owner, not you. If you
tried to sell the boat, or even take it to another country, you would need her permission.

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-m/vdoc/forms/cg1258.pdf

-j

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
Are you stating that you lied on an official CG document?

I'm married. If my name was on the doc, my wife would also own the boat. We
have no prenup. In any case she actually paid for the boat, as I had paid for
the previous item....the car.

RB

Jeff Morris

So you don't have a title and you don't have a bill of sale. And your documentation
hasn't arrived. And your plaque is "though bolted."

I never said that documentation was a title, I said it was as close as you get. Since a
state title is not required, and you send in the Builder's Certificate and/or Bill of
Sale, the only real piece of paper you have is the Documentation. And that is accepted as
proof of ownership for virtually all situations.

You may think the you own the boat, but if Suzy's name is on the Documentation, she is the
owner.

And what does the insurance company have to do with this?

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
The documentation is as close to a "title" is there is. If you sell a
documented vessel,
that is the proof of ownership. The bill of sale, CG-1340, is filled out by the
seller,
notarized, and sent in to the Vessel Documentation Center, along with the
CG-1258.

Repeat after me! The doc is NOT a title. Notarized bill of sale is what's sent
to CG. In this case we had to also send our marriage certificate along with
notorized statement that I was the operator, which was also sent to the
Insurance co.
The marriage cert. was recquired because my name is on the bill of sale, but I
wanted hers on the doc. alone.

RB

Crew death in Yacht Delivery - Med. Leigh Cherry General 2 May 11th 04 12:51 PM
NZ yacht designer David Edney Cruising 0 March 13th 04 08:13 AM
Formalities for Joint Ownership Yacht in Croatia Kris General 0 December 9th 03 12:16 AM
Yacht or boat lease Bob Beauchamp Cruising 0 July 12th 03 01:53 AM