Scout

Default anyone own a Catalina?

After checking out some of my neighbor's boats (with invites of course) I
really liked the Catalina's (Capri 22 and 26). Anyone own a Catalina?
They seem well constructed and very practical.
Scout

Capt. Mooron

"Bobsprit" wrote in message

| I could only outrun crabcrushers.

Keep dreamin' ya Fin Keeler...... the only way you'outrun a crab crusher
with that finicky keeler is if you had the engine revved up'n pushing water
and the crab crusher was towing a large bucket... under sail.... upwind....
in light air.... with Horvath at the helm.

One of these days I'll have to come down there and sail donuts around you to
set the peckin' order!

CM

Bobsprit

One of these days I'll have to come down there and sail donuts around you to
set the peckin' order!

Now I feel guilty. It was a cheap shot.

RB
Vito

Bobsprit wrote:

Scout asked: Anyone own a Catalina?

I had an old Catalina 27 as my first boat. A great starter boat. My sails were
so blown I could only outrun crabcrushers. Deck delamination is a common
problem and early boats had iron keel bolts.

RB

FWIW I just bought a 1976 30 (#199). The Surveyor called Cat's "the
minivans of sailboats" because they do everything well but nothing
outstanding. He said that delamination was caused by moisture and could
be prevented by keeping the mast passthru, et cetera, well calked and
fixing any cracks that develop. The iron keel bolts in mine had been
replaced, or rather supplimented by long stainless screws in accordance
with a factory fix. Gimme a few years grin and I'll let you know.

cheers, Howard

Jonathan Ganz

The non-profit where I work has a Catalina 27. It's pretty well
trashed inside from so many students, but it still sails pretty well.
The A4 isn't a lot of fun, but it does work. Eats a fair amount of
oil. I'd say it's a tough little boat.

"Scout" wrote in message
After checking out some of my neighbor's boats (with invites of course) I
really liked the Catalina's (Capri 22 and 26). Anyone own a Catalina?
They seem well constructed and very practical.
Scout

katysails

Half of western Michigan owns Catalina's...they're sort of like Ford Taurus are to the auto world....

--
katysails
s/v Chanteuse