Bobsprit

Default Message for Ganzy

While sailing is not soley about money, I'm fairly sure you'd do better than
Scotty if you decided to invest in a bigger better boat.
Don't worry, I know you can't speak the truth about Scotty's boat and that's
fine.

RB
Jonathan Ganz

You're right. I can't speak the truth about Scott's boat
because I haven't seen it, nor have I seen him sail. From
all accounts I read, he's a heck of sailor.

Sailing is not about money at all you fool. A boat isn't
an investment. It's not a stepping stone. It's not a means
to an end. It's a transcendental experience. Even Neal
knows that. In fact, just about everyone here, except I
guess you, could probably atest to the life-changing
experience of sailing. It doesn't matter if you have a 14'
dinghy or a 68' Swan. You can't stand in front of the wind
and the sea and be unchanged by it, whether or not the
wind is on a small lake or an ocean passage.

Do you really believe the people who do the Around Alone
race do it for the money or the fame? Do you really believe the kids
who race lasers are doing it for the money or even the fame? Do
you really believe that my friend who just bought a Tartan 42 is
thinking about the money it's costing him to get it ready for the
coast express to Cabo?

All you seem to do here is brag about your things, your stereo,
or your electronics, or your Alien girls or whatever you call
them. All you seem capable of doing is to try and put down
other people and their boat choices. It seems to me that despite
your boating pictures, despite the likelihood that you do actually
get out on the water, you don't have a clue about what you're
experiencing. Quite honestly, it's quite pathetic.

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
While sailing is not soley about money, I'm fairly sure you'd do better

than
Scotty if you decided to invest in a bigger better boat.
Don't worry, I know you can't speak the truth about Scotty's boat and

that's
fine.

RB

Scott Vernon

Default Smell the wind

Right on , Jon. Have you ever been somewhere on land and a nice breeze is
blowing and you just sorta stick your nose into the wind, breathe it in,
sigh, and get *that* feeling? I wonder if non-sailors ever do that?
--
Scotty
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/832067.JPG

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote...
You can't stand in front of the wind
and the sea and be unchanged by it, whether or not the
wind is on a small lake or an ocean passage.

Bill Mitchelmore

Ganzy was right, you haven't got a clue have you?

"Bobsprit" wrote in message
start feeling
off. turn the car around and head toward the sea, closer I get the
better I feel.

yeah, like Katy turning her big nose into the wind to see "where" it's

coming
from...

RB

Donal

"Scott Vernon" wrote in message
Right on , Jon. Have you ever been somewhere on land and a nice breeze is
blowing and you just sorta stick your nose into the wind, breathe it in,
sigh, and get *that* feeling? I wonder if non-sailors ever do that?
--

When I wake up in the morning, I can tell if a SW or W wind is blowing. I
don't know how I know that it is a SW wind that is blowing, but it seems to

I think that it stems from my early teens. I grew up beside a lake. I
used to enjoy walking along the shore from the age of about 10. In
autumn(fall) the wind was usually a SW, and often about F6. This wind was
warm, but it carried a lot of rain. I used to walk along the shore(miles
from the nearest human) wearing an anorak with the hood up, to protect me
from the rain. It was very cosy, and warm, as the waves crashed in.

I can't figure out how I *know* that it is a SW that is blowing. Maybe it
is temperature related, ... maybe humidity plays a part .... it might even
be that a SW is more blustery than a wind from any other direction.

Last winter we had a F10 for the first time in many years. I had to drive
down to the coast to see and _feel_ the sea. I don't know why, but it
*was* wonderful.

Regards

Donal

Scott Vernon

do you sleep in a tent?

just kidding, great post.

bob won't understand it.

--

"Donal" wrote in message

[...]

Bobsprit

It's an observable fact. Perhaps there's something wrong
with your nose.

No it's not. No animal, not even a dog can "small direction." They can track
and so can we in a limited manner. It's not the same thing.
But "smell direction?"
Nope, sorry.

RB
Bobsprit

From
all accounts I read, he's a heck of sailor.

Really, have you read about Scotty's sailing somewhere we haven't?

RB

Bobsprit

You can't stand in front of the wind
and the sea and be unchanged by it, whether or not the
wind is on a small lake or an ocean passage.

The fact that so many people could care less about boats and the sea disputes
this. Some people want to climb a mountain or fly. The sea doesn't interest
them.
What narrow thinkers Ganzy and Scotty are!

RB

Need cruising funds? Rob O'Hern Cruising 0 July 22nd 04 08:17 AM
OT--why the 18-29 year olds support Kerry NOYB General 408 July 2nd 04 12:18 PM
test message only joel Cruising 0 June 18th 04 08:07 PM
National/International paddling message boards or fora Mike McCrea General 5 October 1st 03 06:33 PM