BoatBanter.com

-   -   Message for Ganzy (https://www.boatbanter.com/asa/16190-message-ganzy.html)

Bobsprit July 1st 03 02:42 AM

Message for Ganzy

While sailing is not soley about money, I'm fairly sure you'd do better than
Scotty if you decided to invest in a bigger better boat.
Don't worry, I know you can't speak the truth about Scotty's boat and that's
fine.

RB

Jonathan Ganz July 1st 03 06:06 AM

Message for Ganzy

You're right. I can't speak the truth about Scott's boat
because I haven't seen it, nor have I seen him sail. From
all accounts I read, he's a heck of sailor.

Sailing is not about money at all you fool. A boat isn't
an investment. It's not a stepping stone. It's not a means
to an end. It's a transcendental experience. Even Neal
knows that. In fact, just about everyone here, except I
guess you, could probably atest to the life-changing
experience of sailing. It doesn't matter if you have a 14'
dinghy or a 68' Swan. You can't stand in front of the wind
and the sea and be unchanged by it, whether or not the
wind is on a small lake or an ocean passage.

Do you really believe the people who do the Around Alone
race do it for the money or the fame? Do you really believe the kids
who race lasers are doing it for the money or even the fame? Do
you really believe that my friend who just bought a Tartan 42 is
thinking about the money it's costing him to get it ready for the
coast express to Cabo?

All you seem to do here is brag about your things, your stereo,
or your electronics, or your Alien girls or whatever you call
them. All you seem capable of doing is to try and put down
other people and their boat choices. It seems to me that despite
your boating pictures, despite the likelihood that you do actually
get out on the water, you don't have a clue about what you're
experiencing. Quite honestly, it's quite pathetic.

Scott Vernon July 1st 03 09:36 AM

Smell the wind

Right on , Jon. Have you ever been somewhere on land and a nice breeze is
blowing and you just sorta stick your nose into the wind, breathe it in,
sigh, and get *that* feeling? I wonder if non-sailors ever do that?
--
Scotty
http://www.enter.net/photoalbum/data...non/832067.JPG

"Jonathan Ganz" wrote...

Bobsprit July 1st 03 11:02 AM

Message for Ganzy

From
all accounts I read, he's a heck of sailor.

Really, have you read about Scotty's sailing somewhere we haven't?

RB

Bobsprit July 1st 03 11:07 AM

Message for Ganzy

You can't stand in front of the wind
and the sea and be unchanged by it, whether or not the
wind is on a small lake or an ocean passage.

The fact that so many people could care less about boats and the sea disputes
this. Some people want to climb a mountain or fly. The sea doesn't interest
them.
What narrow thinkers Ganzy and Scotty are!

RB

Bobsprit July 1st 03 11:49 AM

Message for Ganzy

Don't you enjoy sailing, Robert?

I love it, but I don't dishonor the true heritage of boats by treating it like
a some kind of superior experience.
That's why I'm so generous with her, inviting practically anyone out for a
sail.

RB

SkitchNYC July 1st 03 12:58 PM

Message for Ganzy

I love it, but I don't dishonor the true heritage of boats by treating it
like
a some kind of superior experience.
That's why I'm so generous with her, inviting practically anyone out for a
sail.

You need a thesaurus, man. This writing hurts.

SkitchNYC July 1st 03 04:18 PM

Message for Ganzy

That isn't surprising. After all, no decent sailors would go out for a
half hour motorsail with a wimp who is prone to panic attacks in an F3.

Its struck me when you wrote that you have hit on the current that runs through
all Boobs' photos. There is a wariness, something just short of panic, in the
eyes of the people on his boat, as if they are thinking "Does he really have
any clue what he is doing, and how do I get out of here in one piece". There
certainly is an air of tension on his boat, and not fun and relaxation. Maybe
its due to the intense traffic where he sails.

Bobsprit July 1st 03 04:39 PM

Message for Ganzy

a some kind of superior experience.

True sailors have always treated sailing as a special experience.

There's a big difference between "special" and "superior." Your effort to make
sailing into some form of elitist activity is nothing short of horrific.
Still, it's your boat. Do as you please.

RB